shiftspark

Former owner looking to return, maybe ?

I sold my 86 around 11 months ago to buy a Fiesta St as I thought I needed the extra room but I have found that I could probably live with an 86 again and have not gelled as much as I thought with the ST.
So is the new model 86 worth the extra over the older model ? Looking for peoples opinions who have driven both really.I am considering a late old model but curious on the new suspension set up and how it copes with the terrible road conditions we now have.

Cheers

If you can afford the Kouki model then it's a worthwhile improvement over the Zenki. The new suspension does ride bumps slightly better, the reinforcement to the chassis does reduce the NVH which is good, so it's a little bit more refined which for some makes it more appealling as a daily driver. Best bet is to try one I would say. 

4 hours ago, Lauren said:

If you can afford the Kouki model then it's a worthwhile improvement over the Zenki. The new suspension does ride bumps slightly better, the reinforcement to the chassis does reduce the NVH which is good, so it's a little bit more refined which for some makes it more appealling as a daily driver. Best bet is to try one I would say. 

I would definitely echo what Lauren is saying.  

The new one as stock makes cornering on corrugated roads a much better experience - the rear doesn't skip about like the early model. I test drove both models for over an hour each, back to back on the same day on the same roads, which is what I am basing this on :) The interior of the newer model is also nicer (imho), so worth considering.

OR, you could do what I did, and buy an earlier model and use the saved money to change the bits you don't like - like suspension, exhaust, mapping etc :)  Not the option to take if you're concerned about modifying the car, and it's a slippery slope :D 

In short, if it's a daily driver and you're likely to keep it stock, definitely try and get the newer model.

Nice bits in kouki that may matter - better suspension, brembo's option for BRZ in performance package (hence why i'd prefer to get BRZ over GT86 for new model), improved track mode (ex. vsc sport), touch 2 headunit (with screen mirroring from phones bit), headunit controls on steering wheel. IIRC non-EUDM models also feature updated airfilter box, intake manifold, exhaust headers and ecu tune (for +5hp) and different ratio FD (on MT models).

Rest of changes, like single piece dash, lcd screen on instrument panel, changed design of bumpers and head & tail lights .. to me seems of little importance.

I am off on holiday in a couple of weeks so will have time for test drives. I will have a read of the test you did last year @Lauren

I also like the look of the BRZ in blue @will300 which I originally wanted when I first saw them a few years ago, does the BRZ the have the same updates as the 86 ? I seem to remember that the spring rates were the opposite of the 86.

There also seems a fair amount of BRZ in stock at Subaru even a 2017 car.

9 hours ago, GraemeI said:

I would definitely echo what Lauren is saying.  

The new one as stock makes cornering on corrugated roads a much better experience - the rear doesn't skip about like the early model. I test drove both models for over an hour each, back to back on the same day on the same roads, which is what I am basing this on :) The interior of the newer model is also nicer (imho), so worth considering.

OR, you could do what I did, and buy an earlier model and use the saved money to change the bits you don't like - like suspension, exhaust, mapping etc :)  Not the option to take if you're concerned about modifying the car, and it's a slippery slope :D 

In short, if it's a daily driver and you're likely to keep it stock, definitely try and get the newer model.

I don't think I will be messing with suspension mods as my old car bottomed out a few times on lowering springs but other tuning stuff is still possible.