mattt

XTRONS PB78HGTP Android 8.0 Ongoing Review

Cool, got some trim pieces to replace that needs it removing too so that's not a problem. Only sticking point would be WiFi hot spot I think... 
Yea I'll be honest I was a bit annoyed that copilot (satnav app that's really very good indeed) doesn't work as that would have meant could have offline satnav that's a bit more comprehensive than Google maps. There may be a way around this but I haven't had much luck so far.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

WiFi hot spot is only a sticking point because its not unlimited like normal data for me. And I'd rather not have it enabled all the time so would need something that could enable it for me when I get in car 

WiFi hot spot is only a sticking point because its not unlimited like normal data for me. And I'd rather not have it enabled all the time so would need something that could enable it for me when I get in car 
I've bought a usb WiFi 4g dongle which I'm going to try out. I'll let you know what it's like.

Isn't that for having another sim card for the car? It has WiFi built in the head unit? 
Does it connect to the OEM mic? 
So Im planning on getting a data plan for the car as I stream alot of Spotify. Also I figure that if someone steals the car and it has a data connection it can be tracked through Google's lost device app! Cheap tracker ahoy! The head unit has WiFi built in and would connect to the WIFi hotspot created by the USB dongle if you follow me. The USB interface in this application is only providing power, not a data connection.

Unfortunately it doesn't connect to OEM microphone but it's easy-peasy to replace with another mic.

Ahh ok, bit disappointing it can't use the sim directly, probably worth having the USB in the glove box so you can replace the sim if needed? 

Presumably the mic is decent? Don't want to have poor call quality! 

Ahh ok, bit disappointing it can't use the sim directly, probably worth having the USB in the glove box so you can replace the sim if needed? 
Presumably the mic is decent? Don't want to have poor call quality! 
It has a standard mic input at the back so you can buy any mic you like to plug in.

11 hours ago, mattt said:

Yes you need to remove the trim surround to access the bolts that hold the headunit in place.

I used a nylon/plastic car trim remover tool otherwise you run the risk of scratching the trim if you use a metal tool. The trim is just clipped on so the tool is used like a lever.

you should be able to pull the surround off with just your hands...

Well after having a good play around I couldn't find anything that would work to properly secure the device.  Done a bit of research and found that xtrons just rebrands a Chinese made unit.  Most of these have the same hardware inside and so work with the same software.  I've ended up flashing a custom rom on to the unit.  It's now rooted. It has a pin code on startup.  Has built in launchers and more flexibility to make it how you want it.  Also the power button now shuts down and requires pin again on startup.  There's also a power button on screen which allows a full reboot. Every feature of the unit seems to still work but I will test extensively over the next few weeks.  To flash the rom you need to be able to enter recovery mode.  I took the unit apart to find the physical reset button as I didn't want to poke about and damage anything. It's located in the small hole to the left hand side of the dvd drive.  The hole on the right has the microphone so don't put anything in there.  A toothpick with the sharp point cut off fits perfect.  You have to hold the button in for about 10 seconds until unit restarts and flashes green 3 times.  As soon as it stops flashing you release button and press it once again (not hold)  but timing has to be right.  I found tapping it a few times quickly for couple of seconds done the trick every time.  If anyone is interested this is the rom 

[ROM][PX5][HD] Malaysk ROMs for PX5 (2-4 Gb) 8.0 Android Oreo any yet known MTCD-MTCE by Malaysk

Found on xda forums

17 hours ago, mattt said:

Yea I'll be honest I was a bit annoyed that copilot (satnav app that's really very good indeed) doesn't work as that would have meant could have offline satnav that's a bit more comprehensive than Google maps. There may be a way around this but I haven't had much luck so far.

Why didn't copilot work? I meant to quote you in previous post about custom rom.  Have a read.  I'll try copilot with this see if it works now. 

Does anyone have any idea what dab dongle is needed for this unit, a link would be helpful as it's a bit unclear. 

Just bought this unit based on the post so far, yet to fit it but can't wait to get something more functional than the standard unit. 

Also my car doesn't have GPS so any idea where mounting the included antenna would be? 

Cheers. 

22 minutes ago, ethanol800 said:

Does anyone have any idea what dab dongle is needed for this unit, a link would be helpful as it's a bit unclear. 

Just bought this unit based on the post so far, yet to fit it but can't wait to get something more functional than the standard unit. 

Also my car doesn't have GPS so any idea where mounting the included antenna would be? 

Cheers. 

USBDAB01 is the dab dongle.  Comes with stick on aerial.  While stationary the quality is miles better.   First time I've used it today though travelling and the sound has been choppy with high pitched clipping so I'm not using it at the moment.

24 minutes ago, ethanol800 said:

Cheers. 

Also I've just stuck mine in the small gap behind the trim piece next to the head unit.   Works fine here. 

42 minutes ago, mart86 said:
1 hour ago, ethanol800 said:

Cheers. 

USBDAB01 is the dab dongle.  Comes with stick on aerial.  While stationary the quality is miles better.   First time I've used it today though travelling and the sound has been choppy with high pitched clipping so I'm not using it at the moment.

Something messed up. It's in with your message. 

Right got mine all set up and installed. Waiting on a mic and the USB adapter lead to be delivered so will be having to fit those when they arrive. On the dab front I didn't see anything related to it in the box. Just the standard aerial adapter.

Seems like a decent bit of kit, gonna download another launcher so I can get it set up how I like.

Tried to download android auto but says its not compatible disappointingly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On 24/05/2018 at 5:00 PM, mart86 said:

Why didn't copilot work? I meant to quote you in previous post about custom rom.  Have a read.  I'll try copilot with this see if it works now. 

Thanks for this! I'm on hols at the moment but when I'm back I'll check out the ROM. I cant get copilot to work as I cant get to the "agree" button on the first screen when you launch it. I think the resolution on the HU is too low. I've just realised that I could get around this by changing the DPI settings in the hidden developer mode?

Still haven't heard back about when my car is going in for repair :angry: I'm going to get on the phone tomorrow and start getting assertive

23 hours ago, mattt said:

Changing the DPI by enabling developer mode has allowed me to get Co-pilot working :)

I downloaded copilot and as you said after dpi change you can agree and use app.  Never used it before though and got something weird.  Started journey and it just started reeling off commands. Turn left in 100, turn right in 100, make a u turn etc.  With absolutely no bearing on the journey itself.  Safe to say I just deleted it but take it this isn't normal? 

I was reading that the oem Gt86 aerial is booster and powered by a 12v connection. Is this why the fm reception on the xtrons is so poor?

I ordered some focal speakers... There completely sold out in the UK it seems. Expected to arrive end of July

18 minutes ago, ethanol800 said:

I was reading that the oem Gt86 aerial is booster and powered by a 12v connection. Is this why the fm reception on the xtrons is so poor?

I ordered some focal speakers... There completely sold out in the UK it seems. Expected to arrive end of July emoji848.png

The Oem is 12v but the xtrons has multiple 12v outputs for aerial/amp.  Pretty sure mine is wired to 12v and reception was fine when tested.  But I never use it anyway so can't say how good it is on the move.  I'll test it tomorrow. 

Just now, mart86 said:

The Oem is 12v but the xtrons has multiple 12v outputs for aerial/amp.  Pretty sure mine is wired to 12v and reception was fine when tested.  But I never use it anyway so can't say how good it is on the move.  I'll test it tomorrow. 

Sorry I'm so new to this stuff, which cable could I connect it with, so it is powered? 

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, ethanol800 said:

Sorry I'm so new to this stuff, which cable could I connect it with, so it is powered? 

Thanks 

Pretty sure it's marked up as 'ant' on a blue cable.  You should have got a little card with the xtrons showing what cable does what.