GT MLT

Tuning Developments' NA Package with Milltek Non Res-Mini Review

17 minutes ago, HariboPenguin said:

I have the UEL manifold. I used to have a non-res Milltek on before but changed it for the TD resonated version over fear it would be too loud :lol:

I wonder if it's a Uel frequency thing. Mine isn't that loud and yet was apparently 95db drive by at Bedford last time. Even Nikki agrees that it's not loud so it's not just that it's me! 

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

I wonder if it's a Uel frequency thing. Mine isn't that loud and yet was apparently 95db drive by at Bedford last time. Even Nikki agrees that it's not loud so it's not just that it's me! 

Possibility...

There seems to be a noise disparity between TD setups here. Lauren's is full decat yet 6dB quieter than Daniels which has the stock frontpipe and cat still in place. 

Lauren's is also quieter than the TD turbo setup by 6dB which is odd as turbos do tend to quieten things down a fair bit. 

Is Chappers onto something....

It could be a measured at Bedford thing - Dan's was and Lauren's wasn't. In terms of the drive by when I was getting told off for noise there the bloke said their new equipment was much more sensitive than their old. My car is a little louder than last year but not much and yet my static readings had apparently gone up about 7db and my drive by enough for me to be black flagged. 

The quieter than the turbo set up seems weird though unless the screamer pipe throws that off maybe? 

1 minute ago, Deacon said:

It could be a measured at Bedford thing - Dan's was and Lauren's wasn't. In terms of the drive by when I was getting told off for noise there the bloke said their new equipment was much more sensitive than their old. My car is a little louder than last year but not much and yet my static readings had apparently gone up about 7db and my drive by enough for me to be black flagged. 

You removed a Cat didn't you after the one in the manifold shat itself?

My static readings have varied by ±3dB at trackdays as there are many variables. Both my H&S and cosworth cat backs got about 5dB louder when hot vs warm. So depending on how long the drive was to the trackday and how I drove there (Bedford I tend to have "fun" on the way there) is one variable that effects the static noise test.

24 minutes ago, Ade said:

There seems to be a noise disparity between TD setups here. Lauren's is full decat yet 6dB quieter than Daniels which has the stock frontpipe and cat still in place. 

Lauren's is also quieter than the TD turbo setup by 6dB which is odd as turbos do tend to quieten things down a fair bit. 

Is Chappers onto something....

Our car runs the very first system made just under 5 years ago, it makes 96Db the last time we tested it here, at between 4000 & 4500rpm.

We've tested other cars over time, generally one of our manifolds, along with one of our resonated systems whilst maintaining the stock second CAT, comes in at a similar test to our car with no CATs, yet with a turbo in the system.

Stock second CAT, stock exhaust, we've tested at 84Db.

The systems are the same as they ever have been, Dan's UEL setup is where I would imagine it to be. Lauren's however i'm struggling to understand, unless the readings are just simply off. If a stock car with just a manifold is 84Db I really struggle to see how removing the second CAT and also changing the exhaust system only adds 6Db over the stock system & CAT.

Is this not just simply Bedford being extremely strict/OTT on what they allow out on circuit due to noise restrictions?

Mike

Sound pressure is exquisitely sensitive to measurement technique and distance. It's probably within error bars.

It's not like the guy doing the measuring has a scaffold that helps him get exactly the same relative position on each car, or that each person correctly dials up the right revs on the same amount of throttle.

50 minutes ago, Ade said:

You removed a Cat didn't you after the one in the manifold shat itself?

My static readings have varied by ±3dB at trackdays as there are many variables. Both my H&S and cosworth cat backs got about 5dB louder when hot vs warm. So depending on how long the drive was to the trackday and how I drove there (Bedford I tend to have "fun" on the way there) is one variable that effects the static noise test.

I did yes. Mines definitely louder but only a little. Not as much as the Bedford reading seems to suggest - for that sort of increase I'd expect it to be a very noticeable increase in volume! Even my fiancée thinks the change is tiny and she definitely doesn't hold back when telling me about the things on the car she doesn't like 😂

1 hour ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

The systems are the same as they ever have been, Dan's UEL setup is where I would imagine it to be. Lauren's however i'm struggling to understand, unless the readings are just simply off. If a stock car with just a manifold is 84Db I really struggle to see how removing the second CAT and also changing the exhaust system only adds 6Db over the stock system & CAT.

Is this not just simply Bedford being extremely strict/OTT on what they allow out on circuit due to noise restrictions?

Mike

I was getting much the same readings with a non-res Milltek and primary cat with stock manifold. Generally I get around 90Db. Croft is always 92Db because they read high. I've never been to Bedford and have no intention of doing so, but it could just be they are more strict or the manner in which the marshal measures it. I do find my car is actually pretty quiet on the static test but it's obviously louder when out on track than it was before, though I have no readings for driveby. What I can say though having been on quite a number of different circuits since the manifold was changed and losing the primary cat is that nobody has ever pulled me for noise and I've had no warnings.