GT MLT

Tuning Developments' NA Package with Milltek Non Res-Mini Review

I'm another one that got converted! 

Background

Been meaning to get this package for a while, and decided to finally bite the bullet convincing myself it's my birthday present to me...from me. After exchanging a couple of emails with @Mike@TD.co.uk, I booked myself in for the NA tuning package (UEL), MTEC Shifter Springs, Powerflex Gearbox Insert and also their intake hose (just wanted to get the noise generator deleted). I had originally wanted to buy the parts and do it all myself at home as I love tinkering, but it was hard to justify with the cost of the overall package being so good.

The Day

So I booked some time off work, and headed up to Warrington bright and early to get there for around 9am (dragging my dad out with me too). After watching Mike and team empty out their workshop of cars (some amazing ones they have in there!), they took my car in and put it on their dyno for the before run:

20180416_193435.thumb.jpg.db8d15ca2058dd83f49b730e169b4b96.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't watch any of the work go on inside the workshop, but I had a good time chatting to Mike, relaxing in the reception and staring at the turbo & manifold they had in there (next time...). Also for anyone wondering, there's a nice sandwich place called Cafe Ocho nearby for lunch. After food I had a look at Mike's Turbo'd GT86 (again..next time!) and around 2pm I could hear the car on the dyno again for the post-runs...

Now, one of my worries was that I had installed a Milltek Secondary Catback Non-Resonated system beforehand, and as it was non-resonated it would make the car unbearably loud for daily driving and track limits (it was only loud on cold starts mainly). Hearing post-install dyno runs and then them setting off for some road testing, did not settle my concerns! Mike handed me the dyno graph and said that for a near enough stock car, it made surprisingly good power, but even so, look at the difference in torque at 3500 to 5000rpm between old and new:

Image.thumb.jpg.cf0f3cbeb987ae6572a885e462e94e8f.jpg

I was really looking forward to feel the results!

On the Road

Once I started to drive out of the estate I was smiling straight away. The car pulled away so smoothly and the torque dip was gone! I straight away noticed the changes the shifter springs and gearbox bush had made, as changing gears felt more positive. The biggest relief though was the noise. Under 3500rpm the car sounded the same as previously, and it's only above this rpm and especially under load, can you hear a very noticeable difference, a raspier tone. Cruising on the M6 back to Walsall, I could happily have a conversation with my dad just as before. I could not be happier! Also when starting the car the next day early in the morning, I did not wake up any neighbors thanks to the cold start being tuned out :D.

Later in the week I met a friend in his turbo'd MX5 in Banbury to do a spirited drive towards Bicester along the back roads I know, and I could feel the difference the upgrades had immediately as you could just power out the corners. The added bonus is that the exhaust sometimes crackles when downshifting, which just made me smile and laugh everytime.

On the Track

I had booked Snetterton on the same week too (yesterday), again with my friend in the turbo'd MX5, and I was slightly nervous for noise testing. Thankfully I passed at 95Db, but the tester did say it sounds really aggressive when the throttle is let go. Just for a bit of context:

Standard Car (Bedford @5500rpm)-82Db (I think)

Milltek Non Res (Bedford @5000rpm)- 85Db (I was actually disappointed with this one!)

TD NA Package + Milltek Non-Res (Snetterton @5000rpm)- 95Db

It was a bit difficult to judge the upgrades on track, as this was my first time at Snetterton (and only my 3rd ever track day), but what I definitely did notice was coming out of Montreal in 2nd gear, the car pulled really nicely, which I know the old set up would not have done. Surprisingly though I was miss-shifting a bit, but I put that down to driver error more than anything!:P Power wise I think I'm done. The next upgrades will be suspension, wheels and tyres, and just more track time. I've done a short noise comparison video of old vs new set up (please don't criticise me too much on my driving! Still learning!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T-vkAkReas

Conclusion

As you can probably tell, I am over the moon with the NA package, and it has transformed the car for such good value. TD have been excellent too, responding to emails quickly and answering all the questions I had! Thanks guys!

So pleased to hear of another NA package success.  The torque curve belies the improvement in real-world driving, which is excellent.  It's always going to be a revvy engine rather than a torquey one, but now the flexibility to make serious progress is there and it makes all the difference.

I'm still on the stock exhaust, which is fine for my needs.  After having a very loud Honda, it seems quiet.  I'd like a bit more UEL burble but I'll leave things be for the moment.

Nice review and pretty much what we all say about this package, makes the car much more fun to drive and delivers the smiles per mile ratio we want :D If straight line performance is what you want then other cars can provide this out of the box, but the 86 is a drivers car for sure, if like me you get to a point where you have exploited the chassis and grip to it's limit then you can add power but there is so much to be had before this.

The guys at TD are easy to work with and know what they are doing [ also bloody decent blokes too ] so best option IMO. Enjoy the car and meeting folks from here at events.

Really want to get this sorted on mine. 

Great power out the box as you say, very impressive pre-tune figure. Also good to see a grey one around the Walsall area, keep an eye out for me since I'm down that way during the working week. :)

Good stuff. I had the same, though opted to ditch my non-res Milltek as I was worried it would be too loud and went for a TD resonated system instead with a decat pipe to mate to my Milltek overpipe. Mine comes in at 90Db average tested at a fair few circuits now. Yours does sound good if a little loud for my taste, but 95Db is over twice as loud as mine.

40 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Good stuff. I had the same, though opted to ditch my non-res Milltek as I was worried it would be too loud and went for a TD resonated system instead with a decat pipe to mate to my Milltek overpipe. Mine comes in at 90Db average tested at a fair few circuits now. Yours does sound good if a little loud for my taste, but 95Db is over twice as loud as mine.

I need to have a listen to yours at Japfest Lauren, I supposedly have the same exhaust as you and I swear to god it comes in higher than 90Db.

48 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Sorry I just dont believe its 90dB. Few weeks ago at Bedford @HariboPenguin (I think) had a similar setup and was getting noise warnings. 

Also 10dB is twice as loud to the ears roughly.

Just now, Mike said:

Think Lauren's is quieter than mine, and mine is 94dB so 90dB is believable... similar to what Mike Batty's was I think

94dB is not bad with a manifold change tbh

I'm looking to do this upgrade at somepoint - but limited with budget. Nearly had a 2nd hand TD EL manifold sorted off someone on the other forum but they welch'd on the deal.

Back to saving up again ;)

Nice review @GT MLT, did Mike give you a discount to write that? :lol:

12 hours ago, GT MLT said:

but the tester did say it sounds really aggressive when the throttle is let go. Just for a bit of context

FYI: They all spike once you let of the throttle (with aftermarket manifolds) or give it a quick blip. You need to be careful of this on drive by, especially at places like Bedford. 

4 hours ago, Ade said:

Sorry I just dont believe its 90dB. Few weeks ago at Bedford @HariboPenguin (I think) had a similar setup and was getting noise warnings. 

Yep, I got measured at 95.7db static and I still have the 2nd cat in place with the resonated TD exhaust and manifold. Was breaking the 87.5db drive by limit at 5.5k rpm.

Don't quite understand how everyone else's seem to be so much quieter. :unsure:

6 hours ago, Paul said:

I need to have a listen to yours at Japfest Lauren, I supposedly have the same exhaust as you and I swear to god it comes in higher than 90Db.

Shall I bring my db mtr

6 hours ago, Ade said:

Well, I've had a few noise tests and that's what it comes out at. I've been on a variety of tracks and had no issues whatsoever and have had no noise warnings at all. 

Ours tests around 96db with a turbo fitted. On an aspirated car i'd expect it to be louder again with no cats.

EL manifold with second CAT & Stock exhaust we tested @ 84Db.

Mike
My auto is 82-82.5 db with TD EL, 2nd cat and stock exhaust. Consistently on different track days at Bedford and Snetterton.

But 96 with turbo would be too much for my liking.

Looking forward to seeing what people have at Japfest, should be interesting .

And great write up🖒. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Think Lauren's is quieter than mine, and mine is 94dB so 90dB is believable... similar to what Mike Batty's was I think

Mike B has the same setup as me so that would make sense and yes, I think it's about right. 

1 hour ago, HariboPenguin said:

Yep, I got measured at 95.7db static and I still have the 2nd cat in place with the resonated TD exhaust and manifold. Was breaking the 87.5db drive by limit at 5.5k rpm.

I haven't got a second cat either. So mine should be louder than yours. Maybe it's how they measure it, but more of an issue with the paltry driveby limits at Bedford. I've no interest in driving Bedford though and had no problems at Donny or Oulton with 92Db driveby limits. 

1 hour ago, HariboPenguin said:

That sounds wrong to me. EL manifold? Non-res milltek + TD EL manifold + stock 2nd cat is what I have and is apparently quieter than yours? Something isn't right...

10 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Mike B has the same setup as me so that would make sense and yes, I think it's about right. 

I remember you were worried about it being louder than your Miltek set up and I said it was quieter. Jeff brought a meter to a meet and tested Mikes and my set up and TD system was quieter.

1 minute ago, MikeB said:

I remember you were worried about it being louder than your Miltek set up and I said it was quieter. Jeff brought a meter to a meet and tested Mikes and my set up and TD system was quieter.

Yep, you were right all along. It was always going to be the way that a non-res Milltek was going to be louder than the TD res system, though the TD systems are quieter than Milltek comparing like for like. 

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

That sounds wrong to me. EL manifold? Non-res milltek + TD EL manifold + stock 2nd cat is what I have and is apparently quieter than yours? Something isn't right...

I have the UEL manifold. I used to have a non-res Milltek on before but changed it for the TD resonated version over fear it would be too loud :lol: