Rtb

Carbon prop shaft when running S/C and light weight fly wheel

Hi Again

Still on mod front....cosworth SC....light weight flywheel......cars dips a little at low revs...(less inertia) cause revs dip...etc.

i do odd track day and wondered if "carbon/light weight prop"  would be worth while....to cover 1, above dip in revs....and 2, give a small

amount of extra off corner pick -up....so to speak.

cheers

Russell

If the revs dip when the clutch is open then it’s flywheel effect. Once the clutch is closed you’ve got much more inertia in the drivetrain so it shouldn’t dip quickly or rather it can only dip relative to vehicle speed.  You’d never notice a lighter prop without getting rid of a lot more inertia but if you did it would add to the fast drop (and fast rise) of a lightened flywheel. 

I would expect the main effect of a carbon prop in this case would be weight reduction of the car as a whole, or just more strength in the transmission. It's a narrow cylinder, so the rotating inertia reduction is quite small, especially relative to the flywheel and the rear wheels. Ultralight wheels would be significantly more effective if you don't already have them.

Glancing at the marketing material, I'd suggest the real advantage of such a propshaft is making it strong enough to handle big power.

Also aftermarket driveshaft single-piece design has both pro & con. pro - it further removes slack/play from transmission and is lighter also because of one joint less, con - stock driveshaft is designed two-piece for safety purposes, to allow easier driveshaft to fold, when during crash engine is pushed below cabin.

boxer-06.jpg

Though then again: "Safety is greatly enhanced with composite shafts. Composites absorb energy upon impact. They can be designed to, and will normally, break apart during an accident rather than entering the passenger compartment catapulting the vehicle, or whipping a broken end through a tank or valuable cargo."

Hmm, - some head scratching  -. So i guess aftermarket CF DS is better over aftermarket aluminium DS? Though gains from both are probably too little to be had to justify high price of them. It's cheaper and more effective lighten car in other areas then expensive CF DS imho, so unless one has high power forced induction (not mild, like with cossy SC, but eg. 500hp turbo build), i'd skip the idea of driveshaft change.