lewism1

Clutch release bearing

1 hour ago, Mike said:

when does it squeak? 

When I push pedal down, usually right at the bottom - same with when it comes up. Called up Fensport as they only around corner from me and they suggest bearing, if that's the case then may aswell just replace clutch whilst it's all out.

It could just be the pedal itself. Seems total madness to go to the expense of changing the clutch due to a release bearing. The bearing normally gets noisy rather than squeaking. 

Easy job to grease/lubricate the clutch fork? My pedal is also creaks when pushing the clutch pedal in. Doesn’t annoy me too much, but if it’s preventable and an easy fix I’ll sort it out. 

Easy to get to the fork pivot, not easy to actually get some grease into the mechanism without removing the pedal. I had a go with a bit of silicone grease and it made no difference.

14 hours ago, Lauren said:

It could just be the pedal itself. Seems total madness to go to the expense of changing the clutch due to a release bearing. The bearing normally gets noisy rather than squeaking. 

Well, I've told them to check it's the release bearing before actually going ahead. It's a bit slippy anyways

1 hour ago, lewism1 said:

Well, I've told them to check it's the release bearing before actually going ahead. It's a bit slippy anyways

Your clutch is slipping? What mileage have you done? I'm still on my original clutch at 113K+ miles! 

Just now, Lauren said:

Your clutch is slipping? What mileage have you done? I'm still on my original clutch at 113K+ miles! 

Only 46k :(

Old owner abused it a little bit me thinks! 

Took car to @Fensport yesterday as they just around corner from me. Release bearing had gone so had whole clutch replaced. Feels so much better, had a great chat with Dan and Adrian too about turbo options, remaps and manifolds. Time to save up.....

There seems to have been a few people with release bearing issues, but I cannot work out why. Take my car, still on it's original clutch and release bearing at 113K+ miles. Maybe it's how people are driving their cars, I'm trying to think what else it could be?

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm sure I've seen reports of the grease drying out on the bearings which just causes excessive heat and makes the bearings unhappy... 

Unhappy bearings? :lol: aww bless em, buy them a choc-ice lol