RyanKirkUK

Stacking performance mods

Hi guys,

Excuse my ignorance because when it comes to the mechanics of power output I'm clueless.

So after doing some research on improving the performance of my stock 86 I found the Crawford power blocks, the advertised gains seem far too good to be true.

I initially planned to stick with new exhaust and engine tune but if the claims of the power blocks are true then I'd add those on too. Although I'm a little suspicious of their claims otherwise every NA would be running them I'd have thought.

So my question is, am I wasting money doing Crawford power blocks, exhaust and tune. If I am should I just go exhaust and tune? Not sure about doing headers due to noise levels.

Does anyone have any experience with the Crawford power blocks and if so, are the company claims true? 

I'd ring tuning developments.  If the power block is worth having they have probably tested it with their na tuning package.

Edited by Neal
Spelling mistake

9 minutes ago, RyanKirkUK said:

Hi guys,

Excuse my ignorance because when it comes to the mechanics of power output I'm clueless.

So after doing some research on improving the performance of my stock 86 I found the Crawford power blocks, the advertised gains seem far too good to be true.

I initially planned to stick with new exhaust and engine tune but if the claims of the power blocks are true then I'd add those on too. Although I'm a little suspicious of their claims otherwise every NA would be running them I'd have thought.

So my question is, am I wasting money doing Crawford power blocks, exhaust and tune. If I am should I just go exhaust and tune? Not sure about doing headers due to noise levels.

Does anyone have any experience with the Crawford power blocks and if so, are the company claims true? 

The general consensus of opinion was that they don't give anywhere near what was claimed and that your better off with a good manifold, tune and drop in air filter. 

Biggest gains from BPB are if used with stock tune.

But stacking further .. It's possible to adjust custom ecu tune with taking them into account, true, but gains will be way less vs just ecu tune, making it less of worthy upgrade by gains/$ imho. If with exhaust you thought catback, it also doesn't provide much power gains, it is mostly bought to get better sound.

OP post of this thread is rather good regarding various intake/exhaust bolt-on mods options. In general, best gains NA might come from catless header+aftermarket drop-in airfilter+ecu tune. If more wanted, better think of forced induction.

2 minutes ago, Church said:
3 minutes ago, Church said:

Biggest gains from BPB are if used with stock tune.

But stacking further .. It's possible to adjust custom ecu tune with taking them into account, true, but gains will be way less vs just ecu tune, making it less of worthy upgrade by gains/$ imho. If with exhaust you thought catback, it also doesn't provide much power gains, it is mostly bought to get better sound.

Thanks :) It's more the torque dip or lack of torque at low end that is my biggest frustration. Is a map the only way to "fix" that?

A decent manifold and remap are the best way forward. Tuning Developments NA package ticks all the boxes. Lots of us have it. 

You can turn the torque dip into a torque peak but you have to have the manifold along with a remap. 

If torque dip is the main issue one wants to fix, good aftermarket header/exhaust manifold (mostly UEL ones, from EL - Ace's is known to fix too) is the only proper way to fix it NA. Tune alone will rise overall power, maybe narrow it, maybe move it at a bit higher or a bit lower rpms, but won't fix (unless one will decide to do unprobable and willingly will reduce power pre & post dip, :D ), dip will still be there. Same for BPB spacers. They will move optimization to lower rpms .. dip still there.

Going forced induction also may fix dip.

As for my own choice .. i stopped to care about torque dip being there :). If i want surge of power/acceleration, i row 2-4 gears down (and enjoy doing it, both noise wise & involvement in driving wise). If on track - rpms are almost always above dip. Situations when dip may hurt .. like low rpm cruise and wishing for more acceleration without switching gears - i almost never are at. Or if it's daily driving where everybody in traffic are accelerating relatively slow .. i happen to upshift before torque dip. So being below, above, or rowing through gears with downshifting as needed. And as dip is not issue for me, i don't have to throw money at it to fix :D