Paul

Constant insurance calls

Hi All

Most of you will be aware that I crashed my GT86 on-track back in May last year. I didn't have trackday insurance so paid for all the repairs out of my own pocket. Ever since that day i am getting calls at least once per day indicating that my details are on some kind of central database and that I am entitled to statutory compensation put aside for all accident victims that doesn't require me to do anything other than agree to claim it.

My personal understanding is that these companies are all just planning to get me to agree so they can lodge a claim against a 3rd Party, who, in this case, doesn't exist as there's no track liability. I am fed up of being called by these vultures and I am just looking for some kind of "out". Is there some way I can contact my old insurer and get them to amend the details on whatever "central insurance database" to indicate that there's no liability and to stop me getting called? This is becoming a real hassle and short of changing my number I don't know what else I can do!

28 minutes ago, Paul said:

Hi All

Most of you will be aware that I crashed my GT86 on-track back in May last year. I didn't have trackday insurance so paid for all the repairs out of my own pocket. Ever since that day i am getting calls at least once per day indicating that my details are on some kind of central database and that I am entitled to statutory compensation put aside for all accident victims that doesn't require me to do anything other than agree to claim it.

My personal understanding is that these companies are all just planning to get me to agree so they can lodge a claim against a 3rd Party, who, in this case, doesn't exist as there's no track liability. I am fed up of being called by these vultures and I am just looking for some kind of "out". Is there some way I can contact my old insurer and get them to amend the details on whatever "central insurance database" to indicate that there's no liability and to stop me getting called? This is becoming a real hassle and short of changing my number I don't know what else I can do!

They probably don't know anything about your accident to be honest. I used to get these calls all the time and have never had an accident! I opted in to the telephone preference service which stopped most of them. There is still one company that occasionally (now illegally) calls me so I just waste their time if I can be bothered (agree I've had an accident and then when asked to recount the details run through scenes from things like Fast and Furious. It usually takes them a while to cotton on) or I just hang up. 

5 minutes ago, Deacon said:

They probably don't know anything about your accident to be honest. I used to get these calls all the time and have never had an accident! I opted in to the telephone preference service which stopped most of them. There is still one company that occasionally (now illegally) calls me so I just waste their time if I can be bothered (agree I've had an accident and then when asked to recount the details run through scenes from things like Fast and Furious. It usually takes them a while to cotton on) or I just hang up. 

Thing is they know the date of the accident and the make and model of car I was driving so they're getting these details from somewhere, I just don't know where.

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

Thing is they know the date of the accident and the make and model of car I was driving so they're getting these details from somewhere, I just don't know where.

Telephone preference service is still probably your best bet. The details of your accident have probably been sold on to a company that then sells them to these accident chasers. Tracking down all these companies individually is probably going to be nigh on impossible but joining the TPS means unsolicited companies shouldn't phone you. 

2 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Telephone preference service is still probably your best bet. The details of your accident have probably been sold on to a company that then sells them to these accident chasers. Tracking down all these companies individually is probably going to be nigh on impossible but joining the TPS means unsolicited companies shouldn't phone you. 

Already registered with TPS.  :(

Depending on my day I quite enjoy these calls.  The last one I had I told them I work for euro ncap and one week while at work I had 14 crashes which were out of my control.  The girl on the other end of the phone got so excited by the scenario she transfered me to her superior for a compensation estimate.  Even when I explained that the car I was traveling in was dragged by a wire at exactly 65mph into a concrete block they didn't cotton on to the fact I was describing a crash test dummy.

Failing that just waste their time and hope they'll eventually realise you're not worth a call? I used to just keep replying with 'I'm sorry, I don't speak English'. They soon get fed up. 

Paul, if they call again, request that they remove you from their database. Then also request that under the new GDPR regulation, that they provide you with all information they hold about you, where and when they got that information from and there full company details. Create a gmail account for them to send the information to (i.e. not your own), also take their customer services telephone number down and state they have 5 working days for them to respond to your request, otherwise you'll contact the ICO & FOM. You can also ask for a copy of their data retention policy. 

This is on the assumption they stay on the phone long enough and don't just hang up. (i.e. if they are actually a genuine company). 

If that doesn't work, just block the number. 

I had an accident in October 2014, it was my fault. Yet I've had I reckon over 300 calls since then, I still get them now asking if I've claimed compensation. I've decided I will no longer talk to these peope and end the call and block their number. It is driving me mad. As soon as they realise you aren't going for it, they hang up. No apology nothing. 

My 156 was written off in April 2013 (a neighbor crashed into the side of me whilst I was pretty much stationary) and almost 5 years later I still get calls, basically asking for me to try and claim for some imaginary injury. No wonder insurance keeps going up with these idiots trying to scam it. I'm registered with the TPS but unfortunately the call is usually made using some internet phone service so unless you spend some time talking to them, getting a real number or address isn't going to be possible.

I've started going with the "fuck off and die" response before they've even finished their opening sentence. Down to 2 calls a week now!

2 minutes ago, Nelix said:

Interesting, are they just fucking off, or actually dying?

If it stops them phoning I don't care which they choose to pursue! 

Lead them on, waste their time. "Ahh about time you called, I was expecting your call, give them loads of bull, fake address, fake name, yes I lost my little toe in the accident etc etc" Try loads of different things to piss them off. Pretend to be someone else, if they ask for Paul; "sorry who? you got wrong number mate". Scream down the phone. Just keep saying "yes" and see how far you can go. 

I get the calls yet the last accident in our household was 4 years ago when my son's Clio was rear-ended. He got compensation .. he really did get whiplash ... but the vultures keep circling. 

Doesn't matter if you ask to be deleted another twat company picks up the info. So I tend to string them along ... and when they hang up add them to my block list.

And don't get me started on BT OpenNet and my slow broadband ... challenge: see if you can get them to swear at you! I'm on 2 calls!! :-)