Samwise

Bringing an 86 back from the dead

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

Only a complete idiot would do that to a Torx bolt. Question is: why did a previous owner take the seats out?

yeah I dread to think what i'm going to find under there.

The rear bolts hadn't been touched and I was able to get those out easily with the proper socket.

Made some more progress on the car this weekend.

Tried to get the bolts for the seat out to no avail. I tried a chisel/hole punch, grinding out some flats on the bolts and useing a 6 sided socket as well as cutting a slot in to the head and attempting to turn the bolts with the chisel and a spanner.

Unfortunately none of these worked and I think next weekend i'll have to resort to my backup plan which was drilling a hole in the bolts and using a set of stud extractors.

So having given up on that for now I went ahead to sort out the engine related issues and a few other bits.

pQ8AYHz.jpg

First starting off with replacing the coolant crossover pipe which is a bit of a pig of a job purely due to having to get the manifold off.

I'll let the pictures do the talking, needless to say it was quite a state after the image above. 

Manifold off

n8P0SKN.jpg

Old crossover pipe spotted!

5eYBQLR.jpg

Old crossover pipe removed.

JmOdBoJ.jpg

new shiny crossover pipe fitted!

ugR4Vdk.jpg

And with that and the manifold refitted I was able to finally fill the engine with water and run it reliably for the first time!

rq3RyKC.jpg

As well as that I took delivery of the 2 new Cam solenoids. They took a little while to come from Japan but it saved a fair bit of money with the brand new solenoids being £45 each rather than £90 from Toyota in the UK.

oDyZIqu.jpg

4IKub7B.jpg

There still seems to be a code on the ECU as the check engine light is still on but that can be cleared at some point.

I'm going to sort out an aluminium radiator overflow tank of some kind and next weekend I need to sort out those seats!

Saving the bank holiday weekend to be a fun one fitting the arch liners, undertrays, new front wing and even maybe the carbon bonnet! it will start to look like a car again!

This week on.... smiley36.gif

Didn't get a lot done in terms of content to oogle over however I did finally get that seat out! smiley32.gifsmiley32.gifsmiley32.gif

After my various failed attempts to get it out without removing material from the bolts I decided to go in drill & dremel in hand and lay down the law.

It was a bloody battle but I finally won with a couple of drill bits in my arsenal biting the dust, RIP Step drill bit, you will be sorely missed and quickly replaced. smiley19.gif

Here's some pictures!

May have made a bit of a mess but I got the bolt out

pIj0Pdu.jpg

wfqtpQ8.jpg

Once I was able to go through the same process with the other bolt I was able to get the seat out. Despite drilling through the thread of the 2nd bolt by accident the thread in the car is in 1 piece and the rear seat bolts which are still in good nick were able to thread all the way down without any issues.

Checking the state of the mould on the back of the seat and on the carpet, nothing too but definitely not what I want!

dF7ujmk.jpg

nuqKQ3S.jpg

lkAeAez.jpg

Having never tackled mould before I wasn't quite sure how to tackle it but google came to the rescue. I've been applying white vinegar to the areas I could reach prior to getting the seat out and allowing the car to air and dry out in the mean time.

Once I got the seat out I attack it with a stiff bristled brush / Hoover combo to remove the bulk of it and then sprayed it down with more white vinegar and left it to dry in the sun for a few hours. I may have to tackle to smell of the white vinegar down the line but im sure that will eventually air out.

After that work the fabrics were looking alot better! as was the mess from my battle.

wJzl08s.jpg

wfClBZY.jpg

That's it for now. Also bought a few universal radiator overflow tank to save a few pennies over a new Toyota one and to tidy and smarten up the engine bay a bit, made a small bracket to mount it but didn't get any pictures. I'll likely bolt this up next weekend so I'll get a few pictures then.

Also looking forward to finally getting some body panels on next weekend!

The weekend is upon us again and this week is a fun one!

Started off with a small job, getting the new overflow tank fitted. Just a small aluminium £30 piece from ebay, nothing special but far nicer looking than the toyota tank. Got it fitted up with one of the OEM mounting brackets and a small ghetto aluminium bracket I made up (I'm no fabricator for sure! LOL)

20180526_105130_2018-05-26_16-44-50.jpg
20180526_112518.jpg

And then the piece i've been looking to fit for a while, new body panels. Nice and easy with a second set of hands from my Dad.
Starting off with the new (used) fender I have, brand new arch liner and undertray:

20180526_121728.jpg
20180526_121734.jpg

I then got the new Intec Fender garnish/indicator pieces in to finish off the driver's side. They look great but unfortunately need a bit of fiddling to get working. Probably because I bought them from the US but as per the rear light clusters the indiciator needs to be re-wired. The connect is a bit tricky to repin so i may just cut and solder them, I don't plan on using the bumper indicators in the long run anyway.

20180526_130731.jpg
20180526_131220.jpg

It's beginning to look like a car again Big smile Very exciting!
And finally the last job of the day and by far my favourite, fitting the new Seibon Carbon Bonnet!

20180526_134445.jpg
20180526_134502.jpg
20180526_134510.jpg
20180526_144539.jpg

Unfortunately when the bonnet is latched down the panel gap between it and the front wing is atrocious LOL but i'm not too fussed for now, going to wait for a new passenger's side front wing and maybe the headlights to arrive before I worry about where the problem lies with that.
Either way it looks fantastic, i'm really pleased with how it all turned out.

1 minute ago, Paul said:

What are the Intec fenders, first time I've seen them?

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/intec-turn-signal-fender-inserts-2013-ft86.html

Smart little fender garnish in gloss black finish with inbuilt side marker.

I personally hate side markers on cars, I was originally going to look in to getting wing mirrors with indicators in but they're crazy expensive so picked up these instead. They're a great bit of kit and from Japan originally but I think as mine were from the US they have slightly different wiring for US cars. I know another member has them as well but don't think he had any issues with wiring.

8 hours ago, Samwise said:

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/intec-turn-signal-fender-inserts-2013-ft86.html

Smart little fender garnish in gloss black finish with inbuilt side marker.

I personally hate side markers on cars, I was originally going to look in to getting wing mirrors with indicators in but they're crazy expensive so picked up these instead. They're a great bit of kit and from Japan originally but I think as mine were from the US they have slightly different wiring for US cars. I know another member has them as well but don't think he had any issues with wiring.

Hi if you don't mind me asking what sort of postage and taxes did you get charged?

1 hour ago, nikndel said:

Hi if you don't mind me asking what sort of postage and taxes did you get charged?

Sure no worries.

I've ordered stuff from various places such as the bonnet from Amber performance but most of my parts are from FT86 Speedfactory in the states. The only reason for this really is that once everything is said and done the overall cost is pretty much the same as it would be to order from the UK but the choice of parts they have is vastly larger.

Unfortunately I can't give you specifics as my last order was a massive $1500 dollars in total, $1300 being parts, $200 being shipping/handling with DHL (it arrived from the US in 2 working days) however when all was said and done the tax/duty costs were only £140, this is due to a little bit of cheating on the invoice prices by FT86SF's part.

Best example being that the mishimoto radiator fan shroud I have was from them, it cost me $273 which is roughly £205, thats £60 cheaper than companies in the UK offer it for which easily covers shipping & taxes.

Got a small update from today, started off alright what was meant to be a nice easy bit of work soon turned in to a massive pain in the ass as our weather down here has been on off humid sunny and impending thunderstorms so an hour in to the work it began raining like mad.

Started off by changing the Oil as it hadn't been done yet and I think the car was quite low on Oil. Not sure if theres an oil leak around the back of the engine? i'll have to check but it seems less than 5 Litres of oil came out.
Refilled it with 5 although I do have a spare litre, the dipstick doesn't seem as accurate as i'd like? Not sure if this is a known fact or its just a dodgy design. I did fit a magnetic sump plug though which is just habit on all my cars. No pictures to go along with this i'm afraid.

Got the rubber stops for the bonnet out, i did manage to salvage them. and once fitted the bonnet aligns correctly height wise, not sure about horizontally but i'll be able to tell that once i'm able to get a passenger's side wing.

20180528_151013_2018-05-28_18-35-22.jpg
20180528_151026.jpg

There's a few other rubber seals, and plastic covers that came off the old bonnet, not sure if I need to add these to the carbon one as theres no holes for the push clips to go in to.

After this I sorted out the garnish/side marker indicators. Its not pretty but trying to keep it as safe as possible considering the location of these plugs and the indicator works now so that's cool!

20180528_155953_2018-05-28_18-39-24.jpg

Final little bit is a couple of questions.

Firstly, what is this thing? I appear to have one on the inside of the passenger's side arch but not the driver's side?
20180528_150754_2018-05-28_18-42-33.jpg

Like wise what is this plug for, fog lights? Again, I have one on the passenger's side but not the driver's side, sorry for the somewhat blurry picture.
20180528_150800_2018-05-28_18-44-41.jpg

And finally but somewhat related to the above 2, what am I missing on the drivers side? the harness going to the front bumper indicator appear appears to have a part torn off likely from the crash, you can barely see a few copper wire threads poking out as the cable bends downwards. If its important i'll worry about it but if its just the front fog light well... LOL

20180528_150809_2018-05-28_18-48-12.jpg

Another small update from this weekend.
Met a few more of you at the Goodwood meet on Saturday which was good fun! Big smile It was awesome to see some more 86's in one piece which is a nice inspiration to continue to get mine sorted.

Only thing to add today is another new shiny arrival - a New HKS single exit exhaust which i'm going to fit next week.
This will allow me to get the new fog light fitted in to the rear bumper and fitting a bolt on exhaust is ironically something i've never done before so it should be good fun and it will hopefully make the 86 sound as special as it is to drive once I get it back on the road.

20180531_183622.jpg
20180531_183913.jpg
20180531_183959.jpg

Haven't heard one in the flesh but I'm looking forward to it. I was originally looking to get one of the mystery Malian exhausts due to their price but I was able to pick up a bargain with this. I Much prefer the single exit too as I have to admit I love how they look compared to symmetrical twin tail pipes, next weekend is going to be another fun one LOL

Got the exhaust fitted today, it's a great bit of kit!

Didn't get too many pictures im afraid as it wasn't high on my priority list while I was shuffling around my back getting rust and dirt in my eyes! LOL

As soon as I got the old exhaust off I was able to get the new valenti bumper light in finally too, looks great.
Exhaust might be a little close to the subframe, might put a bit of exhaust wrap around it to stop any rubbing or vibrations. Fitted it with some new polyurathene hangers and gaskets, easy job all in all just a pain with only ramps and jack stands.

20180609_145342.jpg
20180609_145357.jpg

Theres a small before/after video for those that are curious, its quite loud but I bet it will sound amazing at high revs.

That sounds remarkably similar to how my CR-Z sounded with the HKS.  The full name is HKS Silent Hi-Power, they're having a laugh with the inclusion of 'Silent'!

11 hours ago, MartinT said:

That sounds remarkably similar to how my CR-Z sounded with the HKS.  The full name is HKS Silent Hi-Power, they're having a laugh with the inclusion of 'Silent'!

:lol: Yeah it seems they're dropped the "Silent" part of the name for the 86. Fitting it last week really got me excited to finish the car, can't wait to hear it on the road.

Another weekend and another BIG step forward toward getting the car back on the road.

Today me and a friend tackled getting the dash out and can I just start by saying that this is probably one of the most annoying jobs i've ever had to do on a car just short of removing an engine for the first time!

Once again im afraid there is a draught of pictures but I have a few.
First I went about getting the driver's seat out as there was a load of dirt under there from the crash, whatever the previous owner hit was kept in all the little nooks and crannies of the car. The driver's seat was gladly far easier to remove than the passenger's seat.

20180616_151246_2018-06-17_00-24-48.jpg

So I'm not sure how to describe the person that previously owned this car, other than being a bit of a plonker for crashing it and a few other things such as the debacle with the seat bolts, I've since found another lovely little "Mod" of theirs. They had clearly decided that as well as wrapping most of the interior trim pieces in a rather horrible carbon wrap they they would also give the same treatment to the accelerator pedal and foot rest which not only looked pretty shocking but can't be too safe in terms of keeping the accelerator nice and grippy under a wet shoe sole. Pinch

Anyway, after removing the offending wrap we went about hoovering most of the mess up and cracking on with the dash removal.
Now going back to my earlier point of it being an annoying job, there are so many panels and components that make up the dash, not to mention the A pillars and whole Centre console has to come out to get to some of the screws, the interior was 100 times more messy once we finished than before we started, and theres ALWAYS 1 last clip, screw or bolt that is holding something on.

But eventually we got there...
IMG-20180616-WA0001.jpg
20180616_173615.jpg
20180616_173627.jpg

And that's only half the mess LOL
It wasn't an easy or very romantic job to do but it had to be done and im glad we were able to in just around 2 hours. It should hopefully make putting the new dash back in just a liiiiittle bit easier.
Theres a few small housekeeping thigns I want to do behind the dash before fitting the new one such as tidying up some of the cabling and fitting some foam to hopefully stop any rattles, etc.

Unfortunately I broke one of the tweeters in the dash, as we popped the speaker cover off the module on the back of the tweeter appeared to be pretty weak and gave way, I'll look in to re-soldering the part that broke or my new used dash may still have the tweeters in if im lucky.

Next couple of weekends are going to be busy so don't expect another update on getting the new dash back in until then, hopefully by then I should have also bought the new headlights so i'll be extremely close to getting this car back on the road in July!

No major update this week, been a little busy with Tunerfest @ brands hatch last weekend and visiting my brother this weekend so it will be another quiet weekend coming in terms of progress Thumbs Down

Waiting for payday this month feels like it is taking forever! I really want to buy some new headlights so i'm 1 more major step closer to getting the car back on the road!
Having said that I am managing to get a few small jobs done though after work while the dash is out.

Managed to fix the tweeter I broke, one of the spade connectors on the back of it had broken, a small blob of solder later and it should be good as new again. I did consider getting the Focal upgrade but I don't want to go ahead and spend £130 and then fine I can't afford to tax or insure the car at the end of next month.

I also got a few of the interior trim pieces painted black, door handle trim & knee pad trim. I didn't get the best results as the wind was really battling me, I probably should've waited for a nicer day but impatience got the better of me. I'm not entirely sure I like the black finish yet anyway as it takes away some of the contrast from the interior. No pictures yet i'm afraid and i'll have a few OEM silver interior trim pieces for sale soon.

I also got the Indicator relay replaced with the Hyperflash/Tap to Turn Subiespeed unit, with the valenti's the indicators were going crazy but now they've calmed down and I can tap the stalk to do a few flashes Shocked
One small weird thing that I can foresee annoying me is the indicator stalk position. Sound's silly I know but driving a Japanese import on a daily basis they like to put the indicator stalk on the right of the wheel rather than the left, it might sound strange but it feels far more ergonomic and it's something you quickly get used to, going back to a UK car I always end up putting the wipers on when I intend to turn Clap

The last job I did was replace the clock spring in the steering wheel, it wasn't something I had planned to do but after making a mess of trying to get the old airbag cable off I had to cut it and replace the unit. Normally they're quite pricey but I luckily managed to get one off ebay for £70 and its fairly easy to replace.

Not a very exciting update i'm afraid but there's always a mountain of small jobs to do in between the large exciting ones and it's almost a calm before the storm as in July i'll be fitting the new dash, new headlights, bumper and hopefully completing the car!
Already looking forward to my first 86 meet in the car.

The correct side for an indicator stalk on the RHD cars is indeed on the right. When I went to Japan and hired a GT86 the indicator was on the right. Much better. But we have this stupid thing in the UK where they mount in the position of LHD cars, so it's on the left. I blame VAG for doing this in the 70s and 80s. 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

The correct side for an indicator stalk on the RHD cars is indeed on the right. When I went to Japan and hired a GT86 the indicator was on the right. Much better. But we have this stupid thing in the UK where they mount in the position of LHD cars, so it's on the left. I blame VAG for doing this in the 70s and 80s. 

That's good to know, maybe one day I'll have to see if I can source some JDM stalks to convert them over.

Probably more hassle than it's worth though lol.

Just ordered new Valenti headlights from Amber Performance but lead time on them from Valenti is 3 weeks Cry

I'd be lucky to get the car complete for the end of the month at this rate.

Another big update this weekend!

Main was to get the new dash in the car and a few other things, very exciting!
I would say in comparison to getting the dash out it was easier at first and progressively got more tricky as clips didn't quite latch and as the sun got directly overhead, i'm probably burnt down one side of my body now and the inside of the car was like a Sauna the whole time.

Started off by getting the new dash ready and lining it with some anti rattle material just in case as I imagine clips and other non-hardware based latching devices might be a little bit loose after it's been taken out atleast once.

20180630_120106.jpg
20180630_122818.jpg

Once my mate arrived we started off by replacing the seatbelts as this still had to be done following the last update. This wasn't too difficult after looking it up on Youtube and was easily done in roughly 30 mins.
20180630_125358_2018-06-30_19-45-25.jpg

Then we moved on to the main course, getting a dash in. We were expecting this to be quite difficult as even lifting the completely loose dash from the car a few weeks a go wasn't the easiest thing ever however it fell to place quite easily and once the screws and bolts started getting put in it really went together like a jigsaw puzzle.
Lack of images once again im afraid as the heat was really trying my patience LOL

20180630_151234.jpg
20180630_155935.jpg

The main thing we found tricky was the order of getting the centre console/heater controls/knee pads in. It seems like a bit of a silly design as the bolt holes for the centre console get hidden by the other two and the centre console really makes it tricky to get the knee pads in once its bolted down.
Either way after showing the centre console who was boss we were able to get them in and everything buttoned down.

It was a bit perplexing to have 8 inputs for the head unit but only 6 cables but I imagine these were for the reverse sensors/camera which my car doesn't have.
The only other issue I had was that the cover for the clutch pedal has come off which looks to be held one with hopes and dreams. A bit too fiddly for me to bother putting back on today in that heat but it shouldn't be too bad.

I'll get a picture of the complete dash next time, forgot to take one after it was all said and done Big smile

Spent a bit of time with the 86 today but a few things came up so it was short lived, wanted to start working on some of the scratches on the 2nd hand bumper but first of all I got it loosely hung on the car just to see the car with it on temporarily.

20180707_122707.jpg

Really wish I could've just bolted it down and call the project complete LOL but while im still waiting for the headlights and a new front wing my next job will be to tidy up and polish this bumper

Looking great Sam. I've been brave enough to rip the whole dash. Can only imagine the head aches that caused in this heat. The bumper looks pretty good from a distance.