Samwise

Hello from Brighton & 86 Fix

Just picked up an 86 a couple of weeks ago which has definitely seen better days. Recently joined the other owner's forum and thought i'd make myself known here as well!

I was planning to pick one up towards the end of the year but this one popped up for sale and so I jumped at the chance it up for a decent price with plans to repair it.

Haven't got many pictures yet, I will probably end up making a project thread once I start working on it this weekend!
Going to take things slow as I save a bit of cash for parts but first things first i'll start stripping down all the broken pieces next weekend & begin making note of what I need to buy and seeing if any parts can be salvaged, im hoping to Headlight Balasts will still be in working order as this saves me a decent amount of cash LOL

The Car's a 63 plate, Category N meaning that the chassis is straight and the engine runs, its generally just a case of smashed lights, bent rad/rad support, front bumper bar and wings.

Don't expect to see me on the road any time soon but I'll hoping be poking my head around here from time to time for info.

Cheers!
Sam

20180217_124618.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

Nice to see a project! Good luck!

Category N isnt a write of category I recognise is it a new thing?

Thank you!

Also they renamed Cat C and D last year.

Cat N is the new name for Cat D, Likewise Cat S is the new Cat C :)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/99750/cat-a-b-s-and-n-cars-new-insurance-write-off-categories-explained

1 hour ago, Samwise said:

Thank you!

Also they renamed Cat C and D last year.

Cat N is the new name for Cat D, Likewise Cat S is the new Cat C :)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/99750/cat-a-b-s-and-n-cars-new-insurance-write-off-categories-explained

Ah thank you for that.

If you VX is current I will be interest to see how you feel about the 86 back to back.

I'm looking forward to it as well.

I'm not expecting them to be too similar atleast in my case as the VX has been a track car project between me and my Dad so it's ride is quite firm and is also a bit too bitey to really toy with in terms of oversteer but does handle extremely well and invokes alot of confidence on track so long as you go in to it with a bit of common sense, on the other hand it constantly reminds you when you work on it that it was infact designed and built in shed somewhere in britain :D

We bought it at a fairly high state of tune about 5 years ago, running about 300bhp so we didn't really have that experience of building it up in increments and these days it can be a bit of a labour of love to take it out unless its one of our elusive warm summer days.

So i'm looking forward to have something RWD that's a little more down to earth but im quite excited to see how the 86 handles itself on the road as it's still a fairly light and nimble car. :)

2 hours ago, Samwise said:

So i'm looking forward to have something RWD that's a little more down to earth but im quite excited to see how the 86 handles itself on the road as it's still a fairly light and nimble car. :)

The chassis of the GT has great balance no question about that. It's far easier to handle than a mid-engined car and it doesn't bite like a mid-engined car can. I cut my teeth on supercharged MK1 MR2's a very long time ago when I took up track days, not the easiest car to handle. Changing to better tyres from the Primacy and also suspension upgrades really lift it to another level as well. There are lots of well tried and tested setups in this respect. 

9 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The chassis of the GT has great balance no question about that. It's far easier to handle than a mid-engined car and it doesn't bite like a mid-engined car can. I cut my teeth on supercharged MK1 MR2's a very long time ago when I took up track days, not the easiest car to handle. Changing to better tyres from the Primacy and also suspension upgrades really lift it to another level as well. There are lots of well tried and tested setups in this respect. 

Yeah I imagine so! First stage for me is getting the car back in one piece and on the road, then im going to start saving some pennies for some goodies! Already learnt the hard way that you get what you pay for in the form of a cheap coilover completely snapping in half after just 18 months, twice! So i'm in the mindset with the 86 that i'd like to do things right the first time and ofcourse doing it all myself, hence taking my time with it :)

The VX has some nice tyres in the form of Yokohama AD08R's so you really do have to try your luck to get it to unstick when the conditions are good but if it does start to give theres no hope in hell of controlling it as it's got a lovely open diff :angry: but it is lovely on track, a great platform to learn on!

Been looking forward to this Saturday as it'll be the first day I can crack on with taking it apart!