Sign in to follow this  
GravelRash

Fixed - Passenger door speaker not working

Need some help chaps!

My passenger door speaker has stopped working. It was working fine, I swapped a Focal speaker in and now it doesn't work. I've put the OEM speaker back in and its also not working.

Both tweeters (focal) in the dash are working, as is the drivers (focal) side speaker. The AMP fuse is intact, and I presume the Stereo fuse is working because the stereo is also working.

Using my multi-metre  I can't see any voltage across the connector into either speakers (focal or OEM), so I presume that means that the signal isn't getting to the speaker. The rest of the door seems to work fine. 

What's going on? Where can I check next?

At the moment the passenger door is exposed with no electrical connectors attached, so my door is locking via central locking, but my window is half down!

Guest 86guns

Did you change the tweeters for the Focal component ones as well? The reason I ask is that the signal path goes to the tweeter, then splits and goes to the door speaker. You might have a lose wire up near the tweeter somewhere.

Finally got back home. 86 flawless in the snow.

On 26/02/2018 at 8:19 PM, 86guns said:

Did you change the tweeters for the Focal component ones as well? The reason I ask is that the signal path goes to the tweeter, then splits and goes to the door speaker. You might have a lose wire up near the tweeter somewhere.

Yes the tweeters are swapped to the Focal ones as well. I did wonder if I'd got a loose wire up in that area, but they all seem good as well.

Having spent a week driving around, the speaker has never once come to life, but TBH the single drivers door and two tweeters are doing just fine. It's not ideal but I don't want to rip the car apart chasing wiring. Just put it down to crappy Subaru stuff :)

Fixed.

Put the OEM tweeter back in and the speaker worked. Closer inspection of the Focal wiring adapter revealed a plastic residue on one of the adapter prongs. Scraped this off with a small screwdriver and everything works. So not Subaru's wiring at all. And now I've got 4 working speakers.