Jake86

PFC break pad pairing

Hi All,

I understand pfc only do their z compound brake pads for the front.

After some research, most people seem to be pairing their pfc front pads with rear cosworth street masters or EBC yellow.

Is there any reason why i cant find people pairing stoptech pads with the pfc pads?

Sounds like stoptechs have a good enough reputation and less squeeky than the cosworths :) sounds like a winning pair!

Thanks

While some combos might perform acceptably well, i'd too prefer matching set on all corners, and seeing some maker having pads only for one end would be sign more of "they don't care". So GT86/BRZ has fronts as WRX, and rears as Legacy GT and we have pads already made in WRX shape in our line up? Fine, mark first ones as also compatible with GT86 and don't spend a dime on making matching rears, let customers by themselves search somewhat similar Mu pads to match. - That doesn't rise trust in PFC in my eyes, and given many alternatives existing for street/hybrid/track use available as full sets, i'd rather lean on getting theirs. Brakes is one of most important subsystem in car. PFC may work for some uses well, it may work reasonably well matched with some other pads .. but that attitude is why i'd rather get something else.

Just run the PFC z pads on the front and stock pads rear (well mintex patten replacement ones which were even cheaper). Front does about 90% of braking anyway so not really going to notice the rears not matching. (Works well for m.on track and road). 

I run PFC at the front and Hawk HPS at the back. Seem a good match (nothing untoward on track) and they're well priced.

I'm not a fan of the Cosworth pads as they are made of cheese (14k miles and a track day or two wore out a rear set). EBC yellows don't seem a great match in terms of Mu or temps for the PFCs.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, Church said:

While some combos might perform acceptably well, i'd too prefer matching set on all corners, and seeing some maker having pads only for one end would be sign more of "they don't care". So GT86/BRZ has fronts as WRX, and rears as Legacy GT and we have pads already made in WRX shape in our line up? Fine, mark first ones as also compatible with GT86 and don't spend a dime on making matching rears, let customers by themselves search somewhat similar Mu pads to match. - That doesn't rise trust in PFC in my eyes, and given many alternatives existing for street/hybrid/track use available as full sets, i'd rather lean on getting theirs. Brakes is one of most important subsystem in car. PFC may work for some uses well, it may work reasonably well matched with some other pads .. but that attitude is why i'd rather get something else.

PFC do race pads and discs, therefore they don't waste time much time doing road products. You can purchase track compound front & rear pads for GT86. Definitely not a reason not to trust them just because they don't do rear pads with road compound.

But "releasing", or rather "relisting old product as also compatible with" looks half-arsed approach to me instead of releasing proper complete set. Like i also wrote, it may work with other vendor rears aswell, but pushing need to select somewhat similar mu rear pads onto customer seems wrong, and lessens wish to choose them over vendors that released complete sets.

Nothing to do with what use type they usually design/release products for.

BTW, in my eyes proper really "for race" no compromise vendor is something like project mu racing (not to be mistaken with "normal" project mu). of course, their pads cost fortune (like set may cost 1.5K), but i've heard they also deliver more then cheap "track/race pads", like lasting longer, wearing rotors less, being more consistent across wider temp range and so on ..