donnaile

Excited to join the GT86 club

Hi All

At the end of January I finally bit the bullet and bought a metallic grey 2012 GT86. I have wanted one since I saw the concept at the Melbourne motor show a couple years before they launched. I recently moved back to the south of Ireland and was fortunate enough to be in a position to get one. Needless to say I am loving it so far. I was in between buying a modded one or standard but decided to buy standard in the end just for peace of mind. I use it as my only car and daily driver.

My plans over the next couple years when I have some spare change:

1. OFH + OFT (this will be my first mod in the next few months)

2. Works Kiwani's (18x9.5), still unsure about offset on standard shocks. Thinking +30

3. HT auto front/rear lip, side skirts (although removal of mud flaps is required for this which may change my mind)

4. ST Coilovers (or similar)

5. Resonated exhaust (Still undecided on which to get, its my daily so needs to be quiet on motorways)

6. Replace factory taillights (possibly with Toms) 

Advice needed:

The south of Ireland gets quite bad winters. From researching online I can see hard wearing mats are available for LHD models that also cover the side carpet. Has anyone come across these for the RHD model? The style I am referring to are the 3D MAXPIDER on the speedfactory website.

Looking forward to getting involved with the forum and thanks to all for already great information available. 

Hi, congrats on the purchase (especially going for grey ;) ) and welcome to the club.

In regards to the Works, +30 will be pushing it a bit, especially at the front where they will poke quite a lot - I had a set of 9.5 +38 on mine, if you check out this thread you can see how they sat.

Coilovers most people go for BC or Tein Flex A's at the lower(ish) end of the budget scale, Ohlins are well regarded at the higher end, HKS Hipermax somewhere in the middle. For exhausts, check out Tuning Developments, they are currently running a group buy for their exhausts on here and are also the go-to guys for NA tuning (catless manifold) and turbo kits :)

Rich

Congratulations.  Some points:

- keep your stock wheels and put winter tyres on them for the bad winters

- consider springs rather than coilovers since yours is a daily driver.  I'm mega-pleased with my H&R Super Sports springs, great lowering and ride quality

- with the OFH + OFT, you'll get the power.  If you want to keep it quiet, consider keeping the stock exhaust and 2nd cat

Enjoy it!

3 hours ago, donnaile said:

Hi All

At the end of January I finally bit the bullet and bought a metallic grey 2012 GT86. I have wanted one since I saw the concept at the Melbourne motor show a couple years before they launched. I recently moved back to the south of Ireland and was fortunate enough to be in a position to get one. Needless to say I am loving it so far. I was in between buying a modded one or standard but decided to buy standard in the end just for peace of mind. I use it as my only car and daily driver.

My plans over the next couple years when I have some spare change:

1. OFH + OFT (this will be my first mod in the next few months)

2. Works Kiwani's (18x9.5), still unsure about offset on standard shocks. Thinking +30

3. HT auto front/rear lip, side skirts (although removal of mud flaps is required for this which may change my mind)

4. ST Coilovers (or similar)

5. Resonated exhaust (Still undecided on which to get, its my daily so needs to be quiet on motorways)

6. Replace factory taillights (possibly with Toms) 

Advice needed:

The south of Ireland gets quite bad winters. From researching online I can see hard wearing mats are available for LHD models that also cover the side carpet. Has anyone come across these for the RHD model? The style I am referring to are the 3D MAXPIDER on the speedfactory website.

Looking forward to getting involved with the forum and thanks to all for already great information available. 

Works Kiwami are gorgeous wheels I was tempted by a set myself! @TTR actually has a set for sale with decent V105 tyres.

The only thing is with 9.5j you wouldn't be able to fit it in with the stock springs as they would catch. You'd have to put a set of coilovers on first

2 minutes ago, Minion said:

Works Kiwami are gorgeous wheels I was tempted by a set myself! @TTR actually has a set for sale with decent V105 tyres.

The only thing is with 9.5j you wouldn't be able to fit it in with the stock springs as they would catch. You'd have to put a set of coilovers on first

Yep, the ones he has are the exact ones I had on in my thread linked above. Beautiful wheels, suit the 86 perfectly. Frankly, I would definitely get the suspension sorted first regardless, aftermarket wheels, especially at that fitment, will look ridiculous at stock height.

On 2/14/2018 at 10:25 AM, Nimz said:

Hi, congrats on the purchase (especially going for grey ;) ) and welcome to the club.

In regards to the Works, +30 will be pushing it a bit, especially at the front where they will poke quite a lot - I had a set of 9.5 +38 on mine, if you check out this thread you can see how they sat.

Coilovers most people go for BC or Tein Flex A's at the lower(ish) end of the budget scale, Ohlins are well regarded at the higher end, HKS Hipermax somewhere in the middle. For exhausts, check out Tuning Developments, they are currently running a group buy for their exhausts on here and are also the go-to guys for NA tuning (catless manifold) and turbo kits :)

Rich

Thanks Rich

Checked out your tread. Your 86 looks great. Very similar to the look I want. Thanks for the advice on the offset and coilovers. Looks like I need them for the wheels so.

I notice you have the HKS Hipermax. Is yours a daily driver? How do you find them on B roads? The roads around me can be rough in places so ideally the coilovers wouldn't be too stiff. 

@donnaile

The biggest you can go is 9J on stock struts. I didn't go for coilovers, because to be honest, I don't need them. Instead I went with Cusco Touring A Damping adjustable struts & 25mm Lowering springs. The Cusco struts are stock size, so I had to go for 9J wheels and +33 offset, tiny bit of poke at the front, but it looks more aggressive then. The suspension is 40-step adjustable, so if you want it soft for daily use you can, and then you can just set it to harder ride if you're let's say taking it to the track. I've also got the eCon2 which is electronic damping controller, so I can adjust the harshness from the inside of the car, saves me stopping and going to each strut to adjust it manually. Clever little thing. I retained stock top mounts too, so it's quiet just like stock suspension & comfortable :)