Deanusrjm

Gearbox issue improved by thinner oil

I just took my new (to me) 86 Giallo back into Jemca Bracknell after a couple of weeks to get some niggles fixed.

They did all the wheel alignment which was quite badly out, changed the wipers and I asked them to check the gearbox which I was struggling with when cold.

They have changed the gearbox oil for a thinner oil and the car was cold when I collected it definitely seems to have improved the situation. I’ll see how it is tomorrow when it is going to be freezing cold on start up.

Impressive service from Jemca and they even had another Giallo (no.58) on the forecourt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd wonder if the car was really that cold when you picked it up. The difficult into second when coming down from third scenario seems to be ever present for me whenever it is cold in the morning. It soon sorts itself as soon as there is a little heat in the drivetrain and typically is fine after a few minutes. It's been that way for the last five years and 110K+ miles. 

3 minutes ago, mr_db said:

I've got a similar issue, can be a pain at a junction when I can't find 2nd

It should be fine when it's warmed up a little after a few minutes of driving though. Everyone has this. 

2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

It should be fine when it's warmed up a little after a few minutes of driving though. Everyone has this. 

Mine gets better, but there is always a random bit of sticking. When you say fine do you mean as easy as shift into 3rd? 

I was having problems changing into 2nd on the way up but worse when coming down. Definitely got better when warm but still sometimes tough on the way down... bordering on unacceptable for 3 year old car.

It felt noticeably better when I picked it up but could be placebo as they had done 4 wheel alignment too. The car felt better overall.

I’ll let you know how it feels in the morning as it’s gonna be another cold one!

2 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Apparently fitting the MTEC shifter springs helps alleviate this. Even if they don't it's still a great mod.

+1. Just fitted the springs and a gearbox void insert and my 2nd gear woes are virtually gone.

+1. Just fitted the springs and a gearbox void insert and my 2nd gear woes are virtually gone.

Roughly what kind of outlay am I looking at on those parts?

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade.

7 hours ago, Varelco said:

Apparently fitting the MTEC shifter springs helps alleviate this. Even if they don't it's still a great mod.

It did help but the notchiness is not entirely gone.  Much better when warmed up, though.

I hate changing into 2nd, it's awful I can't believe Toyota subaru would let it out there factories like that. 

Even old vauxhall combo vans have better gear changes than these. 

All the reviews I read of our cars said the gears feel great etc, such liars. I don't remember it being like that when I took 1 for 2 test drives. 

9 hours ago, Deanusrjm said:

Roughly what kind of outlay am I looking at on those parts?

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade.

The springs are around £40 and the insert was £30. Gear changes now feel very positive, like the feel of a rifle bolt and I dont get stuck coasting round junctions trying to find 2nd any more. 

The springs are around £40 and the insert was £30. Gear changes now feel very positive, like the feel of a rifle bolt and I dont get stuck coasting round junctions trying to find 2nd any more. 

Sounds like well worth a try. I’ll add this to my list of planned upgrades.

Out of interest, some people must have gone back to Toyota with the 2nd gear issue, what is Toyota's stance on it?

They didn’t say too much about it. I got the impression from speaking to the technician that it is just the way it is.

The gearbox oil change to the thinner oil has definitely improved the situation. The car was freezing cold this morning and went straight in to 2nd. It still wasnt amazing but a noticeable improvement.

Hopefully if I get those springs etc. It will improve it further still.

I had my 2016 GT86 just a few days and do notice it but it doesn't really bother me to be honest. I think it's because I come from years of VTEC Honda's which suffer similar issues, in fact I had a 1995 Honda Prelude about 12 years ago that felt exactly the same. You usually find with these things there is a 'knack' to it and once you get used it you don't think about it anymore. 

Just one thing to note, the void insert made my car ridiculously noisy. I'm not talking a little bit noisier, I mean full on touring car style gearbox whine. I think mine was a bit unusual - I say that because when it was removed, I still had the noise and needed the gearbox slackening off and its position reset. I've still got the bush in the boot, not going to rush to fit that again haha!

1 minute ago, Lowe said:

Just one thing to note, the void insert made my car ridiculously noisy. I'm not talking a little bit noisier, I mean full on touring car style gearbox whine. I think mine was a bit unusual - I say that because when it was removed, I still had the noise and needed the gearbox slackening off and its position reset. I've still got the bush in the boot, not going to rush to fit that again haha!

What brand is yours? I have a powerflex road bush and apart from a little nvh at tick over it is pretty quiet

Just now, Andrew Smith said:

What brand is yours? I have a powerflex road bush and apart from a little nvh at tick over it is pretty quiet

Whiteline. 

I honestly just think it's a quirk of my particular car since as I say - when the bush was removed it was still noisy.

2 minutes ago, Lowe said:

Whiteline. 

I honestly just think it's a quirk of my particular car since as I say - when the bush was removed it was still noisy.

When you described yours as noisy I just couldn't believe it. I had the Whiteline insert put in nigh on five years ago now. I never noticed any real difference with noise.

4 hours ago, Nails said:

Out of interest, some people must have gone back to Toyota with the 2nd gear issue, what is Toyota's stance on it?

They will say it's a characteristic of the car and well, it is. For something that is only an irritation for the first five minutes of driving when you need to select second from third it's really not worth worrying about.

6 hours ago, Cerastes said:

I hate changing into 2nd, it's awful I can't believe Toyota subaru would let it out there factories like that. 

Even old vauxhall combo vans have better gear changes than these. 

All the reviews I read of our cars said the gears feel great etc, such liars. I don't remember it being like that when I took 1 for 2 test drives. 

Chances are when you took it for a test drive, the dealer warmed it up before you got there!  Honestly, I think the stock gearbox is pretty damn good once it's warmed up.  It's precise, has a fairly short throw, and a decent weight.  Although my main benchmark at the moment is the other half's Nissan Juke, and you can practically move the gear stick in a circle when that's in neutral.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Deanusrjm said:

Sounds like well worth a try. I’ll add this to my list of planned upgrades.

I'd recommend the MTEC springs and the shift insert too.  Those couple of cheap modifications made a surprisingly big difference considering that I didn't think there was much wrong with the gearbox in the first place.  It slots through the gate with even more precision and an even nicer weight than before and makes the shift a lovely thing to use.