Deanusrjm

Gearbox issue improved by thinner oil

I have had the pleasure of owning (company car so sort of)a number of these cars I think ime on 8 or 9 B)

and I honestly can say I have never had any gearbox selection issues I just don't experience the same as mentioned above.I find it nice and positive warm or cold.

Don't get me wrong I see what you are complaining about and we have improved many owners issues concerning this,but I never even think that its a problem and subconsciously overcome it by guiding it gently in until its warm. ooooooerrrr:blink: or about 10 mins of running which you should be warming the car up gently anyway imo.  

Mine's an absolute t**t when it's very cold (like now). I've had times where I've pulled off from traffic lights and been unable to select 2nd at all, virtually stalling because I've had to jump to 3rd. The only way is to fully de-clutch, neutral, try to reselect. I've got to the point now where before I start off, I go between first and second with the engine off to try and align everything up to make it a bit easier once everything's running. 

16 minutes ago, Lowe said:

Mine's an absolute t**t when it's very cold (like now). I've had times where I've pulled off from traffic lights and been unable to select 2nd at all, virtually stalling because I've had to jump to 3rd. The only way is to fully de-clutch, neutral, try to reselect. I've got to the point now where before I start off, I go between first and second with the engine off to try and align everything up to make it a bit easier once everything's running. 

How long in the warm up cycle does it last Andrew????

I've had a hyundai i30 and it used to do that in the cold, but after the car warmed up a bit it was just fine. I think it might be the oil because i put thinner oil in and it was fine. I changed back to a thicker oil and i went back to not going in to Second gear.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

My Blobeye Impreza was the exact same (relevance as Subaru box :lol:)

absolute nightmare to get from 3rd to 2nd when cold and sometimes impossible. wouldn't go into 1st unless totally still either.

didn't bother me THAT much but did catch me out a few times at traffic lights/junctions.

seemed to help by giving its a slight blip of throttle (like rev matching but not) just before engaging 2nd.

16 hours ago, Riceburner said:

How long in the warm up cycle does it last Andrew????

Difficult to put an exact figure on it since most of the time when it's super cold is during my commute. Given I live so close to the motorway the car hasn't warmed up full before I hit the M6 and by then I'm in 6th and cruising anyway so the issue is moot. I just accept it as part of the cars character to be honest, and since I'm always expecting it I can live with it.

I saw someone on an American Facebook group using a shift extender and claiming it made a massive difference. I was very skeptical but found I could pick one up very cheaply from ebay so thought I'd give one a try. 

The difference is night and day. First day I'd fitted it I drove to work in -2 and had no problems at all with any shifts (unheard of!) I removed it on Saturday so I could do the same journey back to back without it and then put it on and see how it was. The difference really is massive. @will300 tried it on his car and was also impressed (impressed enough to order one shortly afterwards).

The look is a bet meh but it's definitely effective for improving the difficult shifts into second (and all the other gears). Engaging reverse is also no real problem and can still be done with one hand as you just hold onto the extension bar as you lift the reverse lockout. 

The shift requires barely any effort to get into gear - and that's maybe the one downside - if you are particularly heavy handed the extra leverage provided may not be the best for you (or your gearbox). 

IMG_20180210_104059_351.thumb.jpg.bb232477afaa0261049383ac4f036312.jpg

Deacon: can you tell, how higher position impacts daily driving/cruising? I'm sure with extender it's quicker to move hand from wheel to knob and back .. but stock knob position, is just right by, if hand is on armrest. So is probably harder to reach reverse lockout. And also, i guess, due longer lever, throws are longer too?

1 hour ago, Church said:

Deacon: can you tell, how higher position impacts daily driving/cruising? I'm sure with extender it's quicker to move hand from wheel to knob and back .. but stock knob position, is just right by, if hand is on armrest. So is probably harder to reach reverse lockout. And also, i guess, due longer lever, throws are longer too?

No problem with normal daily driving - reminds me of the EP3 CTR I had for position. Reverse lockout is no real problem as I said, you can still do it one handed but you just hold the shaft rather than the shift knob. Throws are longer yes - the one I'd originally read about was paired with a TRD short shifter and I could imagine that being pretty much perfect for throw. For just under £2.20 and about 60 seconds install time though it's definitely worth a try as if you don't like like it it's hardly the biggest loss! 

On 11/02/2018 at 8:57 AM, Deacon said:

I saw someone on an American Facebook group using a shift extender and claiming it made a massive difference. I was very skeptical but found I could pick one up very cheaply from ebay so thought I'd give one a try. 

The difference is night and day. First day I'd fitted it I drove to work in -2 and had no problems at all with any shifts (unheard of!) I removed it on Saturday so I could do the same journey back to back without it and then put it on and see how it was. The difference really is massive. @will300 tried it on his car and was also impressed (impressed enough to order one shortly afterwards).

The look is a bet meh but it's definitely effective for improving the difficult shifts into second (and all the other gears). Engaging reverse is also no real problem and can still be done with one hand as you just hold onto the extension bar as you lift the reverse lockout. 

The shift requires barely any effort to get into gear - and that's maybe the one downside - if you are particularly heavy handed the extra leverage provided may not be the best for you (or your gearbox). 

What were the dimensions of the extension piece please? Thanks.