sam534

Starting issue?

It's happened twice now but intermittently, yesterday after work and then this morning. Had two starts yesterday after the issue which where fine.

It seems to take 3x as many cranks of the engine to fire up, good news is the new Toyota battery is managing to keep firing that starter motor. Really odd as it doesn't happen every time. Anyone else had this?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Just now, sam534 said:

It's happened twice now but intermittently, yesterday after work and then this morning. Had two starts yesterday after the issue which where fine.

It seems to take 3x as many cranks of the engine to fire up, good news is the new Toyota battery is managing to keep firing that starter motor. Really odd as it doesn't happen every time. Anyone else had this?

Yes - it was my battery on the way out. Are you still on the original 48mh one? 

No had a 65ah one replaced about a month or two ago. The battery seems to be running the starter motor fine, unless it's not sparking? Or not pumping the fuel ?

I used to have this problem when it was new. It would keep cranking over for what seemed ages before it fired up. I got told that Subaru engines are common for this as the fuel sometimes drains back. Was told to put it in ignition for a few seconds to start the fuel pump then start it. I’ve never had a problem since.🤷🏼‍♂️

I used to have this problem when it was new. It would keep cranking over for what seemed ages before it fired up. I got told that Subaru engines are common for this as the fuel sometimes drains back. Was told to put it in ignition for a few seconds to start the fuel pump then start it. I’ve never had a problem since.🤷🏼‍♂️
Great thanks Gary, haven't had the issue again yet. Rich at Macclesfield said he will take a look at it next Friday with my service.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I seem to have this intermittent issue too now, last couple days on semi warm starts (few hours off). Cranks for a good few seconds before starting. Did you get this sorted at RRG? My battery is 60ah and sounds like it's powering it fine, so wondering if it could be fuelling...

Rich put a fuel cleaner in, but I must admit it went away... I would sometimes press the power button without the clutch if it's been sat a while just to prime the pump for a little bit (you'll hear it whine) and then start the engine.

A bit of heatsoak can really mess with engine starting, as the perceived air temperature is out of whack. I'm thinking about minutes rather than hours between starts though.

An underperforming spark plug/ignition coil can lead to a weak start too. If it continues I'd think about inspecting them for signs of fouling, corrosion or arcing as well as checking battery condition under load. Shame the plugs are tricky to whip out.