Lauren

Whining diff (was actually a wheel bearing)

Have noticed over the last two days that my car seems to be getting louder. Had a good listen on the way to work this morning and I can tell it's coming from behind me and I'm certain it's the diff. The AE86 had a two way diff in it and it used to whine all the time, though that was just how it was it seemed. But my car has been silent for the first 110K miles, so this is new. 

I've had a cursory three second glance under the car with a torch when I got home from work and the diff casing looked dry. Obviously I was looking for any oil leaks as low oil would cause it. It could of course just be wear and tear as it's done 110K miles and I did 160 miles round Oulton last Saturday. The car was only serviced last Wednesday and from what I can recall it seemed alright then. I have thought though that there was some slack in the drivetrain which I attributed to be the diff when coming on and off the throttle. Of course I might be wrong about this. 

I expect I will have to get it checked out. Could be just a bit worn out, could be the diff carrier (had one of these go before and it was expensive to replace). 

I expect there aren't many, but I wonder if anyone else has had this problem? I know Kev lunched his diff when it was leaking oil after having his final drive changed, but that's the only other failure I know of with an obvious cause. 

Mine got resealed under warranty - not 100% there was a leak as the oil level was fine (barely any went in to top it up afaik) but oil was present on the casing.

Probably would have been fine if left longer tbh - only checked it because there was oil in my flat's car park and wasn't clear where it had come from (was over a couple of spaces)

does the noise get louder the faster you go? couple months after I got mine it started whining that got louder the faster I went, turns out it was 400ml short of oil and done a bearing

3 hours ago, Tareim said:

does the noise get louder the faster you go? couple months after I got mine it started whining that got louder the faster I went, turns out it was 400ml short of oil and done a bearing

Well it's more noticable at higher speeds, so yes. Guessing bearing. Am taking it to RRG first thing Friday to get it checked out. 

Popped down to RRG first thing and took Gary for a ride. I was told by Gary no sideways and that he wasn't a good passenger. So we trundled up the Silk Road so he could hear the whining. Richard had money on it being a wheel bearing. We came back on the old Macc Road which involved a greasy roundabout. Greasier than I was expecting. Sorry Gary! 

Gary got it up on a four post lift and stuck 'young-un' in the car, so they could get it running and listen for noises. Richard gave me a shout and I was able to hear the noise the nearside rear wheel bearing was making. A good way to do it, I thought! 

Wheel bearing has been ordered and car will be booked in for a week's time. There was no play in the bearing, it's just noisy. 

Excellent service at RRG as always and we had a bit of a laugh with my antics with Gary, well Richard thought it was funny. :lol:

4 hours ago, Test Drives Unlimited said:

Just to add my car now booking into Motorline Gatwick for Wheel Bearing Replacement next Wednesday :)

How many miles has your car done, now Nigel? 

Also which bearing has gone? 

Did Motorline Gatwick not do a diagnosis then? You would have thought they would have been able to tell.

Just had mine done. It's a lot quieter now. :)

My car has covered 86,106 miles so far, although by Wednesday it will be nearer 87k on the clock.

Also done 43 Track Days in the car plus a few Autosolos and Car Limit Days

They said it was the Diff yesterday, but there again they have no experience of any other high mileage GT86's coming into the Dealership apart from mine !!

I mentioned what Richard at RRG had said about your car, regarding the whining sound coming from the Diff and that your car had covered 110k.......

Arron was day off yesterday which was a pity because he said to me that he suspects it is a Bearing that has gone in my car after reading the paperwork from yesterday

Anyway the Warranty will cover the bill at least.........

Sent from my ASUS_A001 using Tapatalk

Well the good news is you will get it covered under warranty. It's not particularly cheap! Maybe they should have done what RRG did and put it up on the lift and got the wheels rotating under drive as you could fairly easily hear it on mine when I put my ear relatively close to the spinning wheel. Still, I suppose you got a diff oil change early! 

Mine is easily the highest mileage car RRG service so it's often the case that it's a first on mine. I do have the advantage of Gary though. :)

Just to give you all a quick update.

My car is still at Toyota and will be ready to pick up sometime tomorrow after they given the car a test drive, as they had run out of time today !!

It was the Wheel Bearings that had gone on the car and have been all replaced under Warranty. The guy from Toyota GB in charge of authorizing Warranty work was at the Dealership today B)

Glad you got it sorted, Nigel, also good to get it under warranty as I wondered if a wheel bearing would be covered at your mileage. Alas for me I'm beyond the warranty now with my mileage so it came in at £290 fitted. It's surprising how a worn wheel bearing affects how the exhaust sounded, it really ruined it on mine, now it's back to it's tuneful self without having to compete with the wheel bearing drone! 

I was probably quite luckily Lauren because the guy from Toyota GB who is in charge of authorizing Warranty work was spending the day at Motorline Gatwick :) so apparently he looked at my car in the Service Bay when it was up in the air and immediately authorized the work on the car despite 25mm Spacers on the Hubs and Whiteline Wheel Braces on the back of the car B)

Now the car sounds much better and they also carried out a visual check on my request, so now know what's left on the Tyre's plus they also said I need to change my Rear Pads before the next Track Day next Month :P

Also need to sort out a New Windscreen in due course...........................

Wheels spaced out increase load on bearings/decrease life though, be it via low offset or via spacers, so technically they also had all rights to deny that work as warranty one.