Deanusrjm

Observations from my first day of ownership

So I picked up my Giallo 86 yesterday evening and have been getting used to the car.

Generally I’m over the moon with the car, it drives superbly.

I picked up on a couple of things that I’m not sure about. It could be that I’m not used to the car or they could be faults:

2nd gear seems like hard work. Some times it slips in fine, other times (particularly down shifting) it is hard work. Should I be taking it back to Toyota to get this rectified or is it just the character of this model?

Cruise control - I can’t get it to work at all. It sets the speed and the light comes on but the cruise doesn’t seem to engage. I checked the manual and I appear to be doing it right but maybe I’m missing something obvious. Otherwise it is not working.

Tailgate needs a proper hard slam to shut, is this normal.

I need to change the head unit as the volume knob is tiny and so smooth it is almost unusable.

Everything else is absolutely amazing!

My company car is an S3 which is quick but a bit sterile, I dont feel disappointed in the engine performance on the 86. Quite the opposite, I was pleasantly surprised after many reviews led me to believe it is underpowered .

When there is a break in the weather I’ll post some proper pics! 5bb520cd6a3e6db893fc8d31ecf1937e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Deanusrjm said:

So I picked up my Giallo 86 yesterday evening and have been getting used to the car.

Generally I’m over the moon with the car, it drives superbly.

I picked up on a couple of things that I’m not sure about. It could be that I’m not used to the car or they could be faults:

2nd gear seems like hard work. Some times it slips in fine, other times (particularly down shifting) it is hard work. Should I be taking it back to Toyota to get this rectified or is it just the character of this model?

Cruise control - I can’t get it to work at all. It sets the speed and the light comes on but the cruise doesn’t seem to engage. I checked the manual and I appear to be doing it right but maybe I’m missing something obvious. Otherwise it is not working.

Tailgate needs a proper hard slam to shut, is this normal.

I need to change the head unit as the volume knob is tiny and so smooth it is almost unusable.

Everything else is absolutely amazing!

My company car is an S3 which is quick but a bit sterile, I dont feel disappointed in the engine performance on the 86. Quite the opposite, I was pleasantly surprised after many reviews led me to believe it is underpowered .

When there is a break in the weather I’ll post some proper pics! 5bb520cd6a3e6db893fc8d31ecf1937e.jpg

Nice car dude, welcome to the club! Always really liked the Giallo edition.

RE second gear, it's just a pain. Can be kinda fixed with some decent oil and shifter springs. @Mike@TD.co.uk supplied and fitted mine. Also helps a fair bit if you rev match.

Everything else, no idea :lol:

Congratulations on your Giallo! Not many are willing to commit to that bold a colour.

The gearbox responds better once you have some heat in the oil. That can take 15 minutes of driving at this time of year, at which point it is very satisfying to use. However, the synchros need some help - I think they're a bit slippy when cold, but diligent rev matching will make it much easier. Throttle blips are essential when coming down the box. Give it a week or two, then see if you still think it's problematic.

The headunit volume knob does loosen off a bit once it has been worked for a while, but yes, the headunit is a bit sucky. Sat Nav is quite bad, and loves to navigate down stupid roads, bluetooth connectivity is ok, and the standard speakers are a really poor use of cardboard. You will likely have to search long and hard for a headunit if you don't want to use inserts. Toyota's units overlap the sides of the double din mount, whereas most aftermarket ones don't have the oversize fascia.

Cruise control won't engage below 28/29 mph, and cuts out if you change gear. You push the stalk button to get the cruise control light on the dash, and push the stalk down to set it at the speed you are moving. After that you nudge speed up and down, or cancel by pulling the stalk toward you. Up on the stalk is to resume the last set speed. If you understand that and it doesn't work, the somebody needs to look at the electrics.

The boot lid has quite short and stubby hinges to rotate around and it's not particularly heavy, so it does need a bit of a bang to lock. If you're used to German cars, I'm not surprised you feel odd about it - Toyota has saved weight everywhere, so all the body panels are unweighted/flimsy. It's 150kg lighter than the equivalent Z4!

Enjoy your car!

Congrats, I just picked up my BRZ on Tuesday so that's two new members to the 'club'!  I agree that it's not underpowered and it has a good deal of go when pushed.  I'm still going to get some more tuning goodness for mine next week, though.

The gearbox is quite notchy, I'm used to the butter-smooth Honda I had previously.  2nd doesn't seem any worse than the others but as has been said it gets better once warmed up.

Cruise control, mine works fine.

Boot needs a slam - yes!

Head unit, I think I must have a different one as the volume knob is fine.  I use the steering wheel volume buttons most of the time.

Looks great in yellow!

Congratulations on your Giallo! Not many are willing to commit to that bold a colour.

The gearbox responds better once you have some heat in the oil. That can take 15 minutes of driving at this time of year, at which point it is very satisfying to use. However, the synchros need some help - I think they're a bit slippy when cold, but diligent rev matching will make it much easier. Throttle blips are essential when coming down the box. Give it a week or two, then see if you still think it's problematic.

The headunit volume knob does loosen off a bit once it has been worked for a while, but yes, the headunit is a bit sucky. Sat Nav is quite bad, and loves to navigate down stupid roads, bluetooth connectivity is ok, and the standard speakers are a really poor use of cardboard. You will likely have to search long and hard for a headunit if you don't want to use inserts. Toyota's units overlap the sides of the double din mount, whereas most aftermarket ones don't have the oversize fascia.

Cruise control won't engage below 28/29 mph, and cuts out if you change gear. You push the stalk button to get the cruise control light on the dash, and push the stalk down to set it at the speed you are moving. After that you nudge speed up and down, or cancel by pulling the stalk toward you. Up on the stalk is to resume the last set speed. If you understand that and it doesn't work, the somebody needs to look at the electrics.

The boot lid has quite short and stubby hinges to rotate around and it's not particularly heavy, so it does need a bit of a bang to lock. If you're used to German cars, I'm not surprised you feel odd about it - Toyota has saved weight everywhere, so all the body panels are unweighted/flimsy. It's 150kg lighter than the equivalent Z4!

Enjoy your car!

Thanks very much. Yes yellow is the boldest but I just loved it when I saw it especially with the side decals in black. It certainly divides opinion!

Yes the speakers are offensively bad quality and the Focal set will be my first mod.

Funny you mention the difference between driving this and a German car. I had it that back step out earlier on a wet motorway slip road and it was so refreshingly different.

I’ll give the cruise another try but suspect it to be faulty.

Congrats, I just picked up my BRZ on Tuesday so that's two new members to the 'club'!  I agree that it's not underpowered and it has a good deal of go when pushed.  I'm still going to get some more tuning goodness for mine next week, though.
The gearbox is quite notchy, I'm used to the butter-smooth Honda I had previously.  2nd doesn't seem any worse than the others but as has been said it gets better once warmed up.
Cruise control, mine works fine.
Boot needs a slam - yes!
Head unit, I think I must have a different one as the volume knob is fine.  I use the steering wheel volume buttons most of the time.
Looks great in yellow!

Thanks, enjoy your brz! What colour did you go for?

Head unit can be fixed with a couple of Lego motorbike tyres off eBay.
I had an S3 and I agree with you, it isn't anything like as good.

I’ll have a rake through my daughters toy box first. Thanks for tip

1 hour ago, Deanusrjm said:

Funny you mention the difference between driving this and a German car. I had it that back step out earlier on a wet motorway slip road and it was so refreshingly different.

I had a BMW 335d M-Sport Coupe and fast but anodyne sums it up. Way too heavy to throw around, it would fishtail in 3rd in the wet, eat its (expensive) tyres for lunch and be in the hedges if I tried to do what the BRZ does so effortlessly.

CC: Push the button on the end to enable/disable it, the CC light will come on. Then you need to push it down to enable, up to restore, towards to cancel. SET appears on the dash when active. It's all ECU controlled so if the speed set light is coming on it can't not work without accompanying CEL. Otherwise I would look at a faulty switch, but you're not saying it's that.

Guest 86guns

Another "mod" for the radio buttons is to fit thumb pads from a playstation controller. They just stretch over and fit perfectly. A couple of quid online. For the boot lid, put a few small pieces of sound deadening inside the lid behind the grey cover. Adds a bit of stability and stops the springiness. 

Another "mod" for the radio buttons is to fit thumb pads from a playstation controller. They just stretch over and fit perfectly. A couple of quid online. For the boot lid, put a few small pieces of sound deadening inside the lid behind the grey cover. Adds a bit of stability and stops the springiness. 

Cool, I’ll give that a try. Thanks!

CC: Push the button on the end to enable/disable it, the CC light will come on. Then you need to push it down to enable, up to restore, towards to cancel. SET appears on the dash when active. It's all ECU controlled so if the speed set light is coming on it can't not work without accompanying CEL. Otherwise I would look at a faulty switch, but you're not saying it's that.

Yep it was user error! It’s working just fine. I wasn’t pushing it down to enable it.