Kodename47

DashWare - GT86 Gauge Cluster

I know that this might appeal to a select few but for those who put any driving videos together I've been playing around in DashWare to recreate the GT86 gauge clusters. For those that don't know, DashWare is one of a few programs that combines videos with datalog info. This can be got via EcuTek, Torque, Tactrix etc

MY12_GT86_Dashware.png

MY17_GT86_Dashware.png

Everything is functional if you log the correct parameters:
Speed
RPM (Includes shift light)
Gear
Oil Temp
Ambient Temp
Accelerator
Brakes
Latitudinal G
Longitudinal G
Steering Angle on MY17

I can share these out if anyone is interested. :D

I just need to find a GPS app that I can combine with EcuTek's ECUConnect App.

Yes please.

I've got a plan to make something with a raspberry pi to automatically sync up data + video and overlay it. The theory is all these, and the code to overlay data on the video is. Just need to be arsed to finish it :D 

Hmm, i'd rather like more practicality/readability, even if that would mean less eye-candy/similarity to stock gauges.

For example instead of large speedo just digital readout of larger size and of easier to see colors (especially in bright daylight), bars with % for accel & brake so to easier to see when/how much one presses pedals (if it's to be overlayed over track video), temps in multi-colored-sector bars so to easier to notice with glance, when they get too high, G-graph as is, but without like-stock-dash round area around, that would just use-up screen estate for no use, and so on ..

2 hours ago, Church said:

Hmm, i'd rather like more practicality/readability, even if that would mean less eye-candy/similarity to stock gauges.

For example instead of large speedo just digital readout of larger size and of easier to see colors (especially in bright daylight), bars with % for accel & brake so to easier to see when/how much one presses pedals (if it's to be overlayed over track video), temps in multi-colored-sector bars so to easier to notice with glance, when they get too high, G-graph as is, but without like-stock-dash round area around, that would just use-up screen estate for no use, and so on ..

You can resize them in the video, you're not limited. And if you want any of the rest of what you wrote, you can pick from any of the other basic gauges that DashWare comes with. I just tried to recreate the GT86 ones. Watch this demo video in full screen, much of the data channels weren't logged and I've made changes since, and tell me it's hard to read ;)

Don't forget this is for video playback (basically Youtube) and not in car apps. I did do a water/IAT/Oil temp bar charts but who is going to care about that on Social media ;)

@Mike I wouldn't worry about the Pi, Dashaware is so simple to add the components and sync them up. I had my 1st test video combined in 10 mins. Just need the video (mp4 etc) and the csv file. You can even combine multiple videos and csv files (eg. Torque and separate GPS apps/devices).

http://www.dashware.net/videos/synchronization-tutorial-sample-file-download/

knightryder: still, not just for youtube vids, i liked overlay .. of another cam on pedals. Like here :) in this vid.

Most of a time i drive "by feel" doing inputs from what i see, how i feel car at the moment and so on, reacting with inputs at present, and forgetting right away what's behind, as result it's hard to remember what & how i did few laps before in some curve. So if i want to analyze later on what & when & how i did, and how it did affected speed/laptimes, and what can be done to improve, it's worth to see right away all the inputs, like steering/gear/pedalwork, overlayed with track video. Video with overlays like i linked above seems best at what i'd wish for.

1 hour ago, Church said:

knightryder: still, not just for youtube vids, i liked overlay .. of another cam on pedals. Like here :) in this vid.

Most of a time i drive "by feel" doing inputs from what i see, how i feel car at the moment and so on, reacting with inputs at present, and forgetting right away what's behind, as result it's hard to remember what & how i did few laps before in some curve. So if i want to analyze later on what & when & how i did, and how it did affected speed/laptimes, and what can be done to improve, it's worth to see right away all the inputs, like steering/gear/pedalwork, overlayed with track video. Video with overlays like i linked above seems best at what i'd wish for.

Don't use my overlays. Not a problem ;) I'm clearly not catering for you and it's easy enough to create your own similar to the video posted, but that wasn't the point of my post. What you want is available out there already, this wasn't. Whether that is what you want or not isn't really of any matter.

7 hours ago, Church said:

BTW, that brake sector above throttle in your overlays .. is brake position also reported by obd on twins?

Yes. Shown as the inner gauge circle on the MY12 and the lower left segment in the MY17 as per the genuine dash. Seems that maximum logged value is about ~60 so I've set the gauge to suit.

12 hours ago, knightryder said:

@Mike I wouldn't worry about the Pi, Dashaware is so simple to add the components and sync them up. I had my 1st test video combined in 10 mins. Just need the video (mp4 etc) and the csv file. You can even combine multiple videos and csv files (eg. Torque and separate GPS apps/devices).

http://www.dashware.net/videos/synchronization-tutorial-sample-file-download/

I know it is, but that's no fun and not geeky enough :P 

On 1/22/2018 at 4:00 PM, Church said:

BTW, that brake sector above throttle in your overlays .. is brake position also reported by obd on twins?

On 1/22/2018 at 11:13 PM, knightryder said:

Yes. [...] Seems that maximum logged value is about ~60 so I've set the gauge to suit.

Does DashWare provide the data for the brake pedal out of the box, or did you need to use custom OBD PIDs to get that data channel?
Really curious how to get the same data in other apps, such as RaceChrono.

Thanks!

On 10/29/2019 at 5:44 AM, timurrrr said:

Does DashWare provide the data for the brake pedal out of the box, or did you need to use custom OBD PIDs to get that data channel?
Really curious how to get the same data in other apps, such as RaceChrono.

Thanks!

I datalog using EcuTek. Dashware is just overlay software.