Nelix

Some help and advice please, winter tyres/alloys

36 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

Curve Ball...Get yourself an old Landrover. No tax, no mot, classic insurance and wont lose any money. You can go green laneing too ;)

Nooooo! It'll swallow all your time keeping it working! They're also disturbingly expensive considering the rust/metal ratio.

I second the notion of spare standard 17" rims plus some wintersport rubber. However a full Scottish snow-off will probably make your life very difficult. It is still a RWD car with not that much weight over the driven wheels. Only you can judge whether the conditions get bad enough that they're just not suitable for a sporty motor. It doesn't sound like your commute involves much other than main roads that would be cleared/gritted.

Really leaning towards crossclimates at the moment, have the bike for fun and the car is mainly used for work. Plus tyres will need replaced soon anyway.

It's the time of year to think about winter driving again.  My BRZ is my daily so it HAS to do better than last year in the snow (I got well and truly stuck in our single track lane in the snow with simply zero grip).

I have gone against accepted wisdom here (the Michelin Cross Climates) and plumped for a set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2, which get a very high rating for snow and wet conditions.  All seasons because I need to pound the motorway 30 miles each way to get to work.  I'm putting them on my stock wheels which I had put aside for this purpose.  The narrower 215 size should help with snow grip, too.

I'll report back with my findings once I've swapped to them.  What preparations are others making?

On 18/09/2018 at 10:10 PM, MartinT said:

I have gone against accepted wisdom here (the Michelin Cross Climates) and plumped for a set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2, which get a very high rating for snow and wet conditions.

I am very pleased with these tyres, given their first test last week in huge rainfall on the motorway and this morning in icy 1°C conditions.  The Goodyears inspire confidence and have greatly better grip in wet and icy conditions than my summer Falkens.  I have yet to test them in snow but so far I'm impressed.