Deanusrjm

Just about to become a proud owner

Hi everyone.

I have just put a deposit on a 3 year old gt86 :D I should be picking it up by the end of January. 

This will be my first ever Japanese car and an early 40th birthday present for myself. I've generally only owned German cars but wanted something a bit less sterile. Some of my family and friends don't understand it but what do they know?

I moved house in the summer and have a garage now so have been getting it ready my new arrival. Then I'm going to spend some time detailing it so will no doubt be asking for some advice of how best to clean and protect the leather seats (which I think are synthetic).

I'm based in Wokingham, Berkshire so will be keeping an eye out for some local cars. 

Will post some pics once it is here.

Thanks Deacon.

Going to keep it mechanically standard for now.

I’ll probably look to do a hifi upgrade thinking of retrofit JBL.

Also a centre armrest looks like a good shout.

Maybe I’ll look at some different rear lights but they look pricey (I’ve gone over budget to buy it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, not too long too wait! :) I got mine five years ago a the end of the month, two weeks did feel like forever though. 

You can do far better than the JBL setup with aftermarket components in all honesty, that would be a better bet. I tried the JBL before I ordered mine, but was underwhelmed by it. It's way better than standard but that isn't difficult. I ended up taking all the stock audio out when it was a month old and had an audio place do a custom install for me. The car is quite noisy so a good sound system really helps on longer journeys. 

8 hours ago, Deanusrjm said:

Ps what colour have you got in mind?

I've been looking at photos to get an idea of what colour best suits the shape and it looks like white may be for me.  My partner has a white Audi TTS so they'd look good together!

Welcome aboard, not too long too wait! I got mine five years ago a the end of the month, two weeks did feel like forever though. 
You can do far better than the JBL setup with aftermarket components in all honesty, that would be a better bet. I tried the JBL before I ordered mine, but was underwhelmed by it. It's way better than standard but that isn't difficult. I ended up taking all the stock audio out when it was a month old and had an audio place do a custom install for me. The car is quite noisy so a good sound system really helps on longer journeys. 

Thanks! I’d be interested to know what system you went for. I want something that fits into the standard speaker placements. I guess an amp would be required too.

Awesome! I Picked mine up last Sunday and have been loving every minute of it. Although I'm only 21 so I could only afford a 12 plate  Got it in the sexy grey

Cool, I really like the grey. I was going to go for a 12 or 62 plate and ended up going over budget because I saw this one at the dealer and had to have it!

I've been looking at photos to get an idea of what colour best suits the shape and it looks like white may be for me.  My partner has a white Audi TTS so they'd look good together!

I looked at loads of pics and vids. I went down to a dealer that had a few in different colours (the only one they didn’t have was white). It was helpful to see them in the metal. All the colours look pretty good. IMO the silver is a bit bland but still looks nice.

11 minutes ago, Deanusrjm said:

Thanks! I’d be interested to know what system you went for. I want something that fits into the standard speaker placements. I guess an amp would be required too.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the car.

An amp is not essential! Sure you can install one and plenty have, but a gentleman should not be setting off car alarms as he drives through the neighbourhood!

A good head unit plus some decent speakers is all you need. Favourite plug and play speakers (and a bit of a bargian option too) are the Focal IS165TOY speakers which are a direct replacement and need no jiggery-pokery to make them fit.

Double DIN head units are fairly common so loads of choice there, though you need spacers to make them fit (not an issue) as the standard unit is a wee bit bigger than double DIN.

1 hour ago, Deanusrjm said:

It all depends how much you want to spend really. Changing the stock front speakers for direct Focal replacements really help. Really you need a sub and of course and amp to drive it to get the best out of it.

I went for an Alpine head unit with DAB, Hertz amp, Focal 3 front speakers with tweeters in the door a 12" JL sub and an Audison Bit10 DSP which is the icing on the cake really. That little lot was £3K installed. Obviously it's in a different league compared to the JBL. But the focal speakers a decent head unit with DAB/Satnav a sub an amp will make a huge difference.

That's good to know.  Blue and Black would also be possibilities for me.

My current car is black and it looks amazing for about 10 minutes after I detail it but always seems to be dirty. This time I was adamant that I wasn’t going for black! It is hard to beat when clean though.

It all depends how much you want to spend really. Changing the stock front speakers for direct Focal replacements really help. Really you need a sub and of course and amp to drive it to get the best out of it.
I went for an Alpine head unit with DAB, Hertz amp, Focal 3 front speakers with tweeters in the door a 12" JL sub and an Audison Bit10 DSP which is the icing on the cake really. That little lot was £3K installed. Obviously it's in a different league compared to the JBL. But the focal speakers a decent head unit with DAB/Satnav a sub an amp will make a huge difference.

£3k is a bit out of reach for me. I want to keep the price and the weight down so may start of with a better head unit and some of focal speakers that are recommended in here. The alpine head unit sounds tempting

Welcome from Bracknell (really not far from you at all).
Almost enough of us to do a Berkshire meet....

Thanks Paul. I’ll keep an eye for you... I should be fairly conspicuous in yellow
so you’ll probably see me coming.

10 minutes ago, Deanusrjm said:

£3k is a bit out of reach for me. I want to keep the price and the weight down so may start of with a better head unit and some of focal speakers that are recommended in here. The alpine head unit sounds tempting emoji848.png

A chap on the other side has an audio set up for sale which may be of use? (I know nothing of audio so may not be!) 

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/gt86-sound-system-please-see-description_topic14486.html

2 hours ago, Deanusrjm said:

Thanks Paul. I’ll keep an eye for you... I should be fairly conspicuous in yellow
so you’ll probably see me coming.

You can't miss mine either, pearl white, number plate to the side, blacked out windows, roof and wheels and a loud exhaust.

Will keep my eyes open for a yellow one. ;)