Paul

What to look for when buying a used GT86/BRZ

To benefit new members, or just to use as a link when people ask the question on the Facebook page, can we use this thread as a way to list all things to check when buying a used GT86.

Paperwork/Visual inspections:

Important - Is the car affected by the valve spring recall:

For cars manufactured between: April 2012 and May 2013. 

(Please note: just because a car has been registered in the UK with a 14 plate registration, doesn't mean it won't be affected by the valve spring recall)

• Has the steering harness recall work been performed? - Affects all GT86/BRZs made between April 2012 to March 2015
  • Check for condensation in rear lights, can be rectified under warranty - Very common fault
  • Check for rusty door pillars - Common fault
  • Check the battery, is it the older 48 Ah (known to have issues) or the 65 Ah replacement? - Very common fault
  • Check for scratches in front window glass from the rollers - Rare fault
  • Check for any oil leaking from the cam cover plate - Rare fault
  • Check for delamination on the rear view mirror - Common fault
  • Check that one of the keys has a metal tag on it with the code for the alarm control box
  • Check the front seat bolsters for wear and tear - Common fault
  • Check for rust under the front bonnet weather seal - Common fault
  • Check the rear seats operate correctly, with the buttons to fold down/the latch to re-secure - Rare fault
  • Does the car have a Miltek exhaust? These are known to have severe issues for the GT86/BRZ, so budget for a replacement catback or ask for the warranty documentation.
  • Check the tyres are stock Michelin Primacy or better, stay away from cars with cheap "HiFly" typres, be aware that many owners upgrade to Yokohama or Eagle tyres which are better than the stock Primacys.

Idle/Test drive checks:

• Check for fuel pump chirp / crickets - Rare fault
  • Check if the car has a remap (turn engine on, let it idle, hold cruise control stick towards you. If the needle jumps and holds at 1,2,3 or 4k revs, release and pull it towards you once again and release, if the needle jumps 1k revs, that's switching between maps, meaning the car has a remap). Useful to know if you believe you're buying a reportedly "stock" car.
  • While on a test drive check for a gearbox linkage rattle at 5k RPM+. Most cars do this but some are worse than others - Rare fault
  • Also while on the test drive, test 1>2>3>2 on gear changes, preferably while car is still cold. It's known to be a a bit tough when the car is cold, but if you feel like you're about to snap the gear level it could be indicative of a bigger issue - Common fault

With any used vehicle its recommended to run a HPI check and also check the MOT history and outstanding recalls:

MOT and Recall checker:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

What else have I missed?

(Admin please sticky if you feel it's worthwhile.)

Might be worth stating the probability of the issues?

Not stock but might be worth also listing to check if it's got a milltek exhaust? From what we know, full systems crack regardless of revision where as cat backs seem ok with the felxi in... except mine that split where the hangers were... but not sure on the cause of that :D 

On 04/01/2018 at 1:43 PM, nerdstrike said:

One of the keys should have a metal tag on it with the code for the alarm control box

Neither of my keys have a metal tag with them with the code for the alarm box!

What do you suggest I do. I have a pretty good idea that the awful AWFUL dealership I bought it from won't have it or the slightest interest in helping me.

On 04/08/2018 at 5:45 PM, Smilesapart said:

Neither of my keys have a metal tag with them with the code for the alarm box!

What do you suggest I do. I have a pretty good idea that the awful AWFUL dealership I bought it from won't have it or the slightest interest in helping me.

Mine didn't come with the metal tag either, didn't even know about it until I saw this thread today, only two years after buying my car😱

13 hours ago, Lauren said:

They all do it. 

Thats why it should be added to the list in this thread ;-) However not all do it, I checked a colleagues 86 and it doesn't do it and hes not done anything to fix.

On 4/1/2018 at 6:50 PM, Lowe said:

Gearbox linkage rattle at 5k RPM+. Most cars do this but some are way worse than others.

I do really have this as well and actually this is the first time I hear that is. lets say, common.

I have asked TOYOTA here in Greece and officially replied through email that this is nothing. They have attributed it to resonance transfer from the gear shift  to the gear box. How this happens, nobody could explain.  And this reply came after I had contacted directly with Japan :-).

Any way, do you have any further information on how this rattling noise is created inside gear box? Is there something I should be afraid of?

3 hours ago, vagthomas said:

I do really have this as well and actually this is the first time I hear that is. lets say, common.

I have asked TOYOTA here in Greece and officially replied through email that this is nothing. They have attributed it to resonance transfer from the gear shift  to the gear box. How this happens, nobody could explain.  And this reply came after I had contacted directly with Japan :-).

Any way, do you have any further information on how this rattling noise is created inside gear box? Is there something I should be afraid of?

@Riceburner is probably the best person to answer this given that he sorted mine out.

6 hours ago, LGE said:

Quick question on the ECU remap check, what would happen if you pull the cruise control stick on a stock car?

It will disengage the cruise control, but if the cruise hasn't been activated, nothing will happen.