Carver

Big revs

IIRC main think that would limit our engines is oil pressure to reach that high rpms, so i doubt to see any FA20 engine ever reaching more then some 8-8.2K rpms. Yes, some shops might be competent enough to completely rework whole oiling system, but by then involved skillset and costs would be that high, to make much more sense to do engine swap to some other.

That is impressive, I haven't seen a boxer rev that high (Honda engines yes). Yeah you're right you will start getting valve float well before you reach anything near that RPM, and then the oil pump would probably starve the engine and sh*t itself too.

I've heard of a couple of instances where somebody has "money shifted" their twin and it survived but I wouldn't count of it lasting very long above say 8500rpm.

IIRC one of distinctive FA20 design traits, was removal of any "excess"/"redundant" material everywhere. Lightening all parts, increasing it's performance, reducing losses and increasing efficiency .. but also limiting it's potential, if one want to gets 200-300% more capabilities then what it is designed to. That's no EJ25 :), nor even RB26. And while one can rebuild FA20 for forced induction with forged pistons, valve springs and so on for more power .. that won't do for high rpm. Mostly due oiling limits i mentioned before. No oiling - wear increased by few orders and engine failing VERY fast.

From another forum:

Ok, bickering aside, the upper limit of this engine is around 8200. It varies a little, but that's slightly below the point where the oil pump quits moving oil.
Some have done 7600-7800 on stock valve springs, after that you are on borrowed time until you upgrade them. Plan on paying $1200 to a good shop for parts and labor to swap the springs.
Some have "solved" the oil pressure issue by fitting a massive Accusump accumulator to move oil after the pump quits doing it. They go to 9000 RPM... In short bursts. Their motors don't last.
The oil pressure limit is a wall. You can't get past it with a "built" engine, don't waste your money. All proper high-revving engines use an underdriven oil pump that sits in the sump. This one settles with a direct-drive pump that sits on the crankshaft. Limitations are limitations.
Cams will absolutely help. Stock advertised duration of 252/252 is not conducive to high RPM operation, regardless of what you do with VVT. Duration at .050 is even less. That's why the VVT angles are so wide... Not like the valves are gonna collide or anything.
Higher redline is beneficial until the flywheel torque drops by the percentage gear ratio drop from one gear to the next. In short, it is beneficial on the FA20 to keep revving it.
Get an equal length header with the shortest available runners, like the ACE / 150, if you want to actually make power up to redline. There is an intake manifold with shortened runners available, which has been tested, but it is very expensive.
E85 will also help.
UEL headers will choke the engine up high.

If high rev (much higher then +few hundred rpm) is a must, yet one wants for engine to outlast just one race, transplanting other engines is the only reasonable answer. Something like this :)

Element Tuning, ran a boosted FA20 upto 9K for a race season, I think they rebuilt the engine a couple of times along the way. For an N/A build they believe the limit is 7800rpm.

I assume the quote Church has copied is from one of their posts. 

There is loads more info here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63723&highlight=element+tuning

Short video here: