So here's the story. Having driven over to Humberside today for a family funeral there was a very heavy snow fall while we were in the pub afterwards and before I set off back to Lancs. No problem I thought, I swapped on my winter rims/tyres a few weeks ago so happy days. However, I was in the countryside, it was hilly and the roads hadn't been gritted. There was between 1 and 2 inches of snow on some of the B roads. Got to the bottom of one hill only to find 3 cars had slid into each other  (or I think a couple had slid down the hill backwards) and there was no way I was going to get past them any time soon. I turned around and headed back up the hill only to find that even with the winter tyres (Yokohama winter drives) I could barely manage it (standing start didn't help) slid all over the show, including backwards at times. After half an hour I managed the few hundred yards to the top and a better road, but nearly didn't (and only did it in the end by wedging myself in the side gully where there was less snow/more grip).

So my question is, rare as this situation is, it has made me realise that I shouldn't rely on winter tyres alone. So if ever I'm in a similar pickle I figure that a set of snow chains or socks in the boot would be a real life saver. Problem is I have no experience of either, has anyone used them for our cars and what would be recommended for an occasional use every few years, chains or socks (on OEM size 17" wheels)?

Other half is born and bread Austrian 😂 he thinks socks are fine, besides AFAIK the socks are certified by some board or another. Only regulation is on winter tyres anyway, neither socks or chains are mandatory. 

I never have used snow socks (though chains too) myself, but if they really do work like they show in youtube vids, those would be my choice (look compact/light/non-rattling/cheap/of better clearance vs chains). OK, my first choice would be studded tires, if those are legal in your country, some from at least top three or alike (eg. nokian hakkas R2, blizzak ws80, michelin xice3 and alike) for unstudded ones + socks as second choice. I would't consider chains, as imho situations when those might be needed will make car undrivable due low ground clearance anyway. I'd be scared also of them scrapping off paint if clearance is tight from lock to lock or with bottomed out suspension wheel. Also remember, that: 1) while snow chains might fit on stock wheels due them being slightly tucked in, they may not clear with some aftermarket wheels, exactly because they are wider and/or of lower offset, because of which those aftermarket wheels may have been chosen/bought, 2) for winter it's better to go for lower width tires. I did't like even stock width of 215 grip, certainly would never consider wider then that for winter, but if there is choice, would have got 205 or 195 wide ones .. also maybe of a bit higher diameter for some extra ground clearance.

7 minutes ago, Church said:

BTW, imho both chains & socks should be considered only as temporary means to get through something, for very short distances.

True. We do actually have Nokian WR A3 tyres fitted also. Probably unlikely that we will even need the socks because Europe is pretty efficient at clearing the white stuff 😂 but better to be safe than sorry. 

I've got a pair of snow socks (acquired in anticipation of difficulty in the hills, which never really materialised), but I haven't put them to work yet. Helpfully they fit in the space under the boot carpet along with puncture kit and such. They're very clear about their use - to get your out of trouble, not for driving distance. 

There's a limit to how much you can do to give traction to a lightweight RWD car, sometimes you're better off with a shovel or ratchet strap in the boot, or simply some weight at the back of the car.