Mya X Ferron

Perrin intake questions

Hi guys, got a couple of questions regarding the Perrin intake. Looking to buy this (ASAP really) but have been looking around and stumbled across a couple of posts about needing a tune to stop engine bogging etc. Is this really the case or can we just bolt it on without throwing CEL? 

2nd question is; do any of you have the Perrin intake and the TD NA tuning package? Was going to purchase this in January but the package comes with a K&N drop in filter. Just wondering if the Perrin is a problem there. 

Thanks 😁

I can't see why the intake would cause any issue over any other induction kit. I ran an Injen on mine from new, without issue. TD will simply tune the car with whatever intake is on it, so that won't be a problem. It won't throw an EML (the UK way to say Engine Management Light. CEL is the idiotproof version for Americans). 

I've got the TD NA tuning package effectively running an Injen induction kit (now nearly five years old!), plus their full exhaust system and decat pipe. It's no problem at all. 

6 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I can't see why the intake would cause any issue over any other induction kit. I ran an Injen on mine from new, without issue. TD will simply tune the car with whatever intake is on it, so that won't be a problem. It won't throw an EML (the UK way to say Engine Management Light. CEL is the idiotproof version for Americans). 

I've got the TD NA tuning package effectively running an Injen induction kit (now nearly five years old!), plus their full exhaust system and decat pipe. It's no problem at all. 

Perfect thanks for your help as always 😁

5 minutes ago, Deacon said:

One thing to consider is I think you have to remove the bumper to clean or replace the filter on the Perrin intake which is a bit of a pita. 

Don't mind that bit too much honestly, but it did cross my mind haha

Just save your money and use the filter that comes with the TD kit. They aren't worth the cost, based on performance per £. 

I've got the Perrin 3" big maf version which you'll definitely need a remap with. The 2.5" version you can just bolt on.

BRZ_Build_17_1.jpg

8 hours ago, will300 said:

Just save your money and use the filter that comes with the TD kit. They aren't worth the cost, based on performance per £. 

I've got the Perrin 3" big maf version which you'll definitely need a remap with. The 2.5" version you can just bolt on.

BRZ_Build_17_1.jpg

Going for this one from TD which is the smaller one unless I'm mistaken;

http://www.tuningdevelopments.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=502_625_632&products_id=3307

Truthfully aesthetics and auditory feedback have a lot to do with our decision on this one. Superficial I know, but it's similar reasoning behind my decision to go for for UEL instead of EL. 

All intakes that cause MAF sensor to read differently will need tune. IIRC TRD's and Grimmspeed's didn't. Perrin's and especially if it's 3" one, need MAF sensor rescale. They will run without, but AF probably will be wrong, less efficient or too lean and so on ..

My own choice would be to not get aftermarket intake. Even more so one like Perrin's, that require bumper removal for airfilter change. 1) stock intake also is cold air intake and rather efficient one, 2) aftermarket airfilter should be sufficient for most of aftermarket intake's gains on older zenki twins for small fraction of price.

Induction kits are about induction noise, that's the reason for getting one. I quite like how my now rusty Injen one sounds. Also just to point out (another annoying Americanism), is that there is absolutely no such thing as a 'cold' air intake, it can only ever be ambient temperature, i.e., whatever the air temperature happens to be.:P

3 hours ago, Church said:

My own choice would be to not get aftermarket intake. Even more so one like Perrin's, that require bumper removal for airfilter change. 1) stock intake also is cold air intake and rather efficient one, 2) aftermarket airfilter should be sufficient for most of aftermarket intake's gains on older zenki twins for small fraction of price.

I don't think removing the front bumper every 5-10k miles is too much of a PITA honestly. Besides this is just the first of more engine mods to come in future. I'm fairly sure that an aftermarket intake will offer a bit more than the OEM does. Besides, as @Lauren said; it's all about the sound regardless 😂

There are some tests over on ft86 which found that just fitting a drop in filter to the standard air box was as good as anything else after a tune (most of the intake "gains" are from different MAF scaling, which a tune evens out).

13 minutes ago, Mya X Ferron said:

I don't think removing the front bumper every 5-10k miles is too much of a PITA honestly. Besides this is just the first of more engine mods to come in future. I'm fairly sure that an aftermarket intake will offer a bit more than the OEM does. Besides, as @Lauren said; it's all about the sound regardless 😂

You will get bumper sag from removing and refitting the bumper. The more you do it the worse it gets. 

13 minutes ago, Deacon said:

You will get bumper sag from removing and refitting the bumper. The more you do it the worse it gets. 

This with knobs on. 

I went for the Grimmspeed and one of the reasons (alongside it not buggering up the AFR) I went for it was due to not having to remove the bumper. It sags with age, and they never quite fit right once removed. Not worth the ball ache imho.

Also re. noise - mine's quieter than the stock sound generator!

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

I know, but there seems to be a pretty simple fix for that; replacing the bumper brackets/spacers (which is a pretty cheap part). I'll include the video I found on this below (apologies if random external linking isn't allowed);