Sign in to follow this  
Daninplymouth

Hello

Hi just wanted to stop by and say hello, been lurking on the forum for a good few weeks. Finally got a test drive in yesterday and decided I need to get a GT86 next so my plan is January time look to sell up my focus ST and buy a Toyota. Was really impressed with how the car handled and Iv done a fair bit of work to my focus but this was still in a different league.

Already planned a trip to TD for the NA package as soon as I get my hands on one. Long term plans are the turbo package too 👍 A lot of people warned me it would feel slow but I really don't think it is that bad but more torque will always help (at the moment I'm used to around 380ftlb)

Thanks

Welcome! I had a Focus ST before my BRZ and being realistic the Focus would out pace the BRZ on straights and corners in all conditions (especially wet!). But that's missing the point, the BRZ or GT86 is such a lovely thing to push hard, explore the handling without being at stupid speeds. I think they got it absolutely spot on and I'd think very hard before modifying it because you risk losing what makes it such a perfect thing to drive.

Thanks I know what you mean but I will start with the smaller tweaks then see how it goes I would think 280 with the turbo would be a great drive though. No doubt on the straights my focus is running 330bhp but I am after something more fun and rwd and am struggling to find anything better than the Toyota. Did look at the 370z but tax and mpg put me off, the other thing was a Porsche Cayman but there 10k more than a gt and more expensive to maintain. And I’d imagine a gt86 with a few mods wouldn’t be much different to the Porsche in the real world. 

Just have to get Christmas out the way now then I can advertise my focus and start my Toyota build 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Welcome aboard and good luck with finding a GT. I can vouch for the TD NA tuning package and a whole host of other mods. :)

Thanks I’d be interested to see what these a like with modified suspension as I found the ride excellent as standard, this may have been helped by the fact it was a 17plate car . It was comfortable but firm. 

My plans are, NA package (not sure which header yet though) new wheels as that’s the only part of the car I don’t like, would prob stick at 17” but go wider to 8” any good recommendations for these?

Then fine tune the handling as I’m more used to it and finally turbo. It would be fun to build the engine and up the boost 350-400bhp eventually as that would be a riot in these I would imagine. 

First things first just have to find my car 😃

41 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

Thanks I’d be interested to see what these a like with modified suspension as I found the ride excellent as standard, this may have been helped by the fact it was a 17plate car . It was comfortable but firm. 

My plans are, NA package (not sure which header yet though) new wheels as that’s the only part of the car I don’t like, would prob stick at 17” but go wider to 8” any good recommendations for these?

Then fine tune the handling as I’m more used to it and finally turbo. It would be fun to build the engine and up the boost 350-400bhp eventually as that would be a riot in these I would imagine. 

First things first just have to find my car 😃

Hello and welcome :) Hopefully you'll find your car soon!
TD will help you with the tune & manifold. We, on the other hand, can help you with wheels, if RAYS is what you desire :) Gram Lights would be a nice choice of wheels. You'd be looking at £1.2k - £1.5k region. 17x8 is quite an awkward size for RAYS. You find most 17" wheels to be either 7J or 9J / 9.5J. 18" wheels have a bit better options.

We sell other bits as well, suspension components (Cusco, Whiteline, Powerflex etc.) Engine internals, and stuff like that, again, not a lot for cosmetic side of things, other than wheels and some little bits of interior accessories. https://www.part-box.com/
http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/products/brand_detail.php?lang=en&brand=GRAM

28 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Hello and welcome :) Hopefully you'll find your car soon!
TD will help you with the tune & manifold. We, on the other hand, can help you with wheels, if RAYS is what you desire :) Gram Lights would be a nice choice of wheels. You'd be looking at £1.2k - £1.5k region. 17x8 is quite an awkward size for RAYS. You find most 17" wheels to be either 7J or 9J / 9.5J. 18" wheels have a bit better options.

We sell other bits as well, suspension components (Cusco, Whiteline, Powerflex etc.) Engine internals, and stuff like that, again, not a lot for cosmetic side of things, other than wheels and some little bits of interior accessories. https://www.part-box.com/
http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/products/brand_detail.php?lang=en&brand=GRAM

Thanks I will look into them. Haven’t picked a size yet just know I will want something a bit wider. The only reason I said about sticking with 17s is I thought they would be cheaper tyres but actually don’t have a clue what size and price a tyre is for a 9” rim

It's getting really hard to find nice wheels in 17x8. I have a set of TE37's but they are rare as hens teeth and they are no longer made. Rays don't do anything in 17x8 anymore really which is a crying shame. You can get Work Meister S1Rs in 17x8 though via Driftworks though it would be a custom order. About £2.2K. I run stock tyre sizes on an 8" rim. 

As for suspension, yes I agree the 2017 model rides better than the earlier cars, but I'm guessing you are looking at an earlier car. There are a good few tried and tested options. A lot of us run TEINS which are great value and work pretty well. Ride is a bit worse over bad roads but the damping is better than stock. 

Forget realistically going much over 300bhp without a forged bottom end. I would say try the NA tune, I have the TD NA tune effectively with an equal length manifold, decat and full TD system with a remap. It totally transforms the car and makes a big difference to the mid range torque. But it's not a bad idea to see how you get on with the car as stock to then work out what you want to do.