Lucas

Pre-Black Friday Daily Pick - Exclusive deal! RAYS Gram Lights 57CR 18x9.5J ET38 SOLD

235/40/18 - Stretched
245/40/18
245/35/18
255/35/18 - Square fitment 
265/35/18 - Might have trouble rubbing if you're too low
Thank you🖒

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

[mention=2630]VAD17[/mention] You might also find this website useful. You put in your current sizes and new sizes, tells you loads of handy info, How much higher/lower the gaps will be, speed adjustments etc. Also a handy diagram so you know roughly what your tyre will look like. 
Very helpful, thanks for this

Looks good. Think the Rays wheel nuts are fine. I've got the same ones on mine if they are the steel ones? 

They are duralumin (I think).
Rays website has GT86 photos that's just pure art (no, I will not use the other word), and longer wheel lug nuts just visually so nice...
But I am not sure about the center caps. It looks ok on photo, but I just dont like classic black ones (not even sure why).

Steel ones last much better, which is is why I went for them. Hmm, I prefer the short ones, but I have little interest in form, more functionality. I think the term 'lug' is  a pointless Americanism, they are just wheel nuts. I'm pretty sure Rays do a variety of wheel nuts though and probably do longer ones too. I do think that black works well given you've got a grey car and everything else is grey or black so continuity and all that. A brighter colour is going to stand out. 

14 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Steel ones last much better, which is is why I went for them. 

Why do steel ones last better?  I can see why steel would last better than the normal aluminium wheel nuts but duraluminum is stronger than steel. 

Having studied engineering materials technology I'm pretty sure Duralumin is just an aluminium alloy to improve durability in most conditions (DURable ALUMINium).

Aluminium is prone to dissimilar metal corrosion when in direct contact with steel (wheels studs will be steel). Add in water/salt and this accelerates the process.

It's possible that some of the ingredients of Duralumin resist this and/or slow it down drastically.

If the car is a daily driver with regular exposure to the elements, and regular wheel removal for tyre changes, then Steel nuts would be the better option for longevity. Alloy ones (duralumin or not) are likely to corrode at a faster rate under these conditions and will require replacements far sooner. Also being generally softer and less tough, in direct comparison to steel, they are more likely to round off/shear/pull threads if over tightened (from personal experience many tyre fitters don't really understand the ins-and-outs of torque loading), my choice would be steel!

If it's a track/show car these factors will vary in their effects.

As with all things in Engineering, there is a compromise to be weighed up. Depends on which property you prioritise for your wheel nuts, longevity/strength/lightness/aesthetics etc.

Hopefully this Info/opinion is helpful... 😬

Duraluminum is a mix of aluminium, copper, magnesium and manganese. It's very hard and is used in aircraft construction and on the space shuttles due to its strength, lightweight and corrosion resistance. It's used a lot for making strength and corrosion resistant fasteners like nuts so is well suited to use as wheel nuts.