Sign in to follow this  
sazabiskythe

Removing torque dip

Hi all,

This topic has probably been discussed a lot already, but I'm keen to get an updated opinion on this. I'm looking to get more punch in the middle of the rev range and remove the "torque dip" that people refer to on this car. This is a subjective question, but what is the most efficient setup of doing this (with price and performance in mind)? I know suggestions will be to get remap, UEL etc. but please give brand suggestions too. Currently I am considering a Cobra setup (w/ resonated Catback)

Thanks

9 minutes ago, sazabiskythe said:

Hi all,

This topic has probably been discussed a lot already, but I'm keen to get an updated opinion on this. I'm looking to get more punch in the middle of the rev range and remove the "torque dip" that people refer to on this car. This is a subjective question, but what is the most efficient setup of doing this (with price and performance in mind)? I know suggestions will be to get remap, UEL etc. but please give brand suggestions too. Currently I am considering a Cobra setup (w/ resonated Catback)

Thanks

The tuning developments set ups seems to be the best balance of price and performance. Speak to @Mike@TD.co.uk

We offer a solution as kindly mentioned by Jeff & Kev above. Thanks chaps!

http://www.tuningdevelopments.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=502_625_852&products_id=2567

Can use either the stock CAT back exhaust to have an almost stock sounding car, or switch over to an aftermarket system, that choice would be completely yours.

Any questions feel free to drop me a message :) 

Thanks

Mike

12 minutes ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

We offer a solution as kindly mentioned by Jeff & Kev above. Thanks chaps!

http://www.tuningdevelopments.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=502_625_852&products_id=2567

Can use either the stock CAT back exhaust to have an almost stock sounding car, or switch over to an aftermarket system, that choice would be completely yours.

Any questions feel free to drop me a message :) 

Thanks

Mike

If you keep the stock exhaust and have the manifold/map package I guess you lose out on a few horses. If at a later date you swapped for an aftermarket exhaust would it need remapping again?

Well worth the dive in my opinion. The car is more eager to go in 2nd gear and on-wards.

I have since departed with my 86 and I have a few bits left from when I did the UEL and de-cat at Tuning Developments.

I'm selling my UEL and de-cat right now

32 minutes ago, Lowe said:

If you keep the stock exhaust and have the manifold/map package I guess you lose out on a few horses. If at a later date you swapped for an aftermarket exhaust would it need remapping again?

Hi Andrew,

It'd be beneficial to have the map looked at yes sir.

Thanks

Mike

1 hour ago, Lowe said:

Beneficial, yes. Necessary., not at all. You'd have to factor in whether the extra small bump of torque would be worth the cost of a remap again. The exhaust would free up some performance without any changes to the tune.

Another recommendation for the TD EL manifold and remap. Also whilst I was there I went for a full resonated TD system and decat. I've kept my Milltek overpipe in the mix. The difference is very surprising in the mid range as you can see from the graph! Noise wise it's fine and I've had no problem on track. 

Lower graph (red) was when I already had a remap and second decat with overpipe and Milltek res. Orange is with the manifold and new system. If you look at the graph around 3750rpm it's a torque peak rather than a torque dip!

35904006895_32c3d89433_c.jpgGT86- Manifold and Exhaust by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

14 hours ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Hi Andrew,

It'd be beneficial to have the map looked at yes sir.

Thanks

Mike

Bugger. Looks like I need to get a cat back first then. Don't really want to be paying out for a another remap. 

We use the excellent ACE header with the Abbey HFC and get very good results;

remember our bhp is recorded at the hubs.

xmllqP.jpg

Not as cheap as the TD header but we feel it gets great results.

send me a PM on here with your email address and I can provide further dyno plots and quotes

37 minutes ago, Mr Slow said:

RHD / LHD, it makes no difference. the rack sits behind the engine so it has no bearing / effect on the design of a manifold.

Ah cool I did not know that.I looked at the picture and assume as it wraps around to the right the uk version would need to wrap around and exit to the left. Thanks.

11 hours ago, mr_db said:

I really like the sound of this setup http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ft86-catted-uel-header.html but I'm not sure you can get it for right hand drive. 😔

I've got the Jdl catted Uel manifold which is basically the same as the one on the link. Video clip below of how it sounds paired with a Hks HiPower Spec L exhaust:-

43 minutes ago, mr_db said:

Ah cool I did not know that.I looked at the picture and assume as it wraps around to the right the uk version would need to wrap around and exit to the left. Thanks.

Only an issue for overpipes as they twist over the steering linkage.

55 minutes ago, Lowe said:

Bugger. Looks like I need to get a cat back first then. Don't really want to be paying out for a another remap. 

Our resonated CAT Back sounds very well and not OTT when paired with a manifold, we also still have free fitting on those :) 

Mike

5 hours ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Our resonated CAT Back sounds very well and not OTT when paired with a manifold, we also still have free fitting on those :) 

Mike

What's it like on the motorway? I spend a fair amount of time on the M6 so bass drone would be a concern. 

7 minutes ago, Lowe said:

What's it like on the motorway? I spend a fair amount of time on the M6 so bass drone would be a concern. 

You can happily sit at the speed limit and have a conversation inside the car. Most road noise is still coming from the tyres :) 

Thanks

Mike

I have TD's EL mani and Res Catback and for the motorway its fine. It does not drone which is generally the worst thing aftermarket exhausts have a tendency to do. Im based in Nottingham so if you wanted to have a listen first hand im sure we could work something out. I drove accross Europe with the catback on and never once got annoyed with it and im pretty picky on my exhausts.

11 hours ago, Deacon said:

I've got the Jdl catted Uel manifold which is basically the same as the one on the link. Video clip below of how it sounds paired with a Hks HiPower Spec L exhaust:

That sounds really nice, how much did it set you back? Do you have a video of the sound outside the cabin by any chance?

10 minutes ago, mr_db said:

That sounds really nice, how much did it set you back? Do you have a video of the sound outside the cabin by any chance?

I picked it up used so difficult to say. The video is using an external mic 👍

6 hours ago, Lowe said:

Mine is alright. No cats and a resonated system. You hear it if you accelerate but it's fine when cruising. I took it to the middle of Germany and back and was only down to London last weekend and Snetterton the weekend before. No problem. :)

30 minutes ago, Deacon said:

I picked it up used so difficult to say. The video is using an external mic 👍

Ah cool, have you passed an mot with it?