Jstan86

GT86 bunny hopping when cold

Hi guys, 

I've owned my GT for nearly 2 years now and whenever the car is cold it bunny hops or kangaroos down the road when I go slowly through our cul-de-sac or a car park. It stops after I reach about 20mph or the car has started to warm up. It's quite embarrassing as it looks like I have dodgy clutch control! It's a manual gearbox and the clutch is not being depressed during this time. 

I left it with Toyota overnight and they said they didn't notice it which is odd as it happens every morning or when it's cold. 

Has anyone else experienced a jerky ride when driving the cold car slowly?

UPDATE- This may seem odd and I can't see the connection but I had my original battery replaced the other day with the new upgraded one Toyota fit under warranty. Since then the car drives smooth right from cold start. How odd! 

You will likely find it will come back, as Lauren said it will be because the ECU reset. My reduced throttle map eradicates this issue entirely maybe something to think about if it does re-emerge.

38 minutes ago, rob275 said:

You will likely find it will come back, as Lauren said it will be because the ECU reset. My reduced throttle map eradicates this issue entirely maybe something to think about if it does re-emerge.

My throttle map is so sharp, it takes an incredibly delicate touch if you're not going to lurch forward when the engine is cold. I get this if I'm straight into traffic with a cold engine.  It gets better when it's warmed a bit, but is tricky enough that I had to put it into a softer throttle map when Mark has driven the car. Trouble is the softer throttle map makes it feel like it's broken to me. 

I've never got on with the softer throttle maps either. The kangarooing is better if you wait for it warm-up 20-30secs before pulling off your drive.

I've found mine to be better recently (or I've just finally got used to it?)

Granted while it's been frosty in the morning I've had to wait for the windscreen to demist before setting off so it's probably warmed up enough by then

On 22/10/2017 at 8:25 PM, Jstan86 said:

Hi guys, 

I've owned my GT for nearly 2 years now and whenever the car is cold it bunny hops or kangaroos down the road when I go slowly through our cul-de-sac or a car park. It stops after I reach about 20mph or the car has started to warm up. It's quite embarrassing as it looks like I have dodgy clutch control! It's a manual gearbox and the clutch is not being depressed during this time. 

I left it with Toyota overnight and they said they didn't notice it which is odd as it happens every morning or when it's cold. 

Has anyone else experienced a jerky ride when driving the cold car slowly?

Yes. It's a feedback loop of sorts, comprising suspension travel, engine fuelling, transmission slack and throttle pedal. I've experienced it in three different rear wheel drive cars with a performance bent. You have to figure out how to break the cycle - sometimes a dab of throttle will settle it, or a brief press of the clutch pedal and so on.