kacpr

Life after 5 year old

No, because I wasn't trying to see how much of a problem it was. I was trying to find out what tended to cause it, and if Toyota had fixed it with the wiring loom revision.

Just had another 2 coilpacks replaced after Oulton. I'm pretty sure it is a problem, lol. What the cause is up for debate.

10 minutes ago, nikndel said:

One thing I would be curious about as I dread one failing on my car

I wouldn't overly worry, Nick. They don't 'fail' as such it's more the EML light being on disabling your cruise control that is the pain. In my experience of three failing it seems to happen when you drive the car very hard and upshift at the redline. The first time it happened, I drove my car very hard away from the M6 Toll booth and shifted up just before the limiter in third. The second time was when redlining from fourth to fifth and the third time I over drove my car at Croft in the sprint and well it wasn't clever really. So every time it has happened to me has when I've been driving the car very hard.

Lauren, they do actually start degrading and failing. The EML is the start.

At Donington and Oulton my cars ignition went really woolley at the top end and lost power after a few sessions with the light on. You could actually hear it starting to misfire. There were 2 coils throwing codes at this point though. 

Not easy. Due wide because of boxer design engine and cramped under-bonnet space. I suggest googling for DIY spark plug change though, as if done by dealer it might be very expensive. I guess because official dealer procedure for changing spark-plugs IIRC involved lifting engine, thus due high hour pay they ask much. By DIY guide it was not easy, but possible without lifting engine.

7 hours ago, Lauren said:

I wouldn't overly worry, Nick. They don't 'fail' as such it's more the EML light being on disabling your cruise control that is the pain. In my experience of three failing it seems to happen when you drive the car very hard and upshift at the redline. The first time it happened, I drove my car very hard away from the M6 Toll booth and shifted up just before the limiter in third. The second time was when redlining from fourth to fifth and the third time I over drove my car at Croft in the sprint and well it wasn't clever really. So every time it has happened to me has when I've been driving the car very hard.

Low mileage plus my engine never gets that hot I hope to get a few more years of trouble free motoring

I've recently had the EML come on twice after redlining in 3rd. The first time I took it to a Toyota dealer who read the code and said the engine had misfired.

Is it worth buying the warranty for around £400 and claiming it on there? Does anyone know the cost of replacing coil packs?

I'm looking at getting the TD NA kit after this is sorted, so the warranty would be useless once I get the new manifold, exhaust and remap?

Cheers

3 hours ago, DaveeeB93 said:

I've recently had the EML come on twice after redlining in 3rd. The first time I took it to a Toyota dealer who read the code and said the engine had misfired.

Is it worth buying the warranty for around £400 and claiming it on there? Does anyone know the cost of replacing coil packs?

I'm looking at getting the TD NA kit after this is sorted, so the warranty would be useless once I get the new manifold, exhaust and remap?

Cheers

Probably worth checking if the warranty would even cover coil packs. They are easy to replace yourself and the cost is a fraction of that £400..... A quick look suggests £85ish

https://www.pointmeby.com/2017/09/10/86-brz-frs-p0351-cel-p0353-coil-pack-how-fix/

Toyota PN: SU003-05259

Subaru PN: 22433AA730

Coil packs are around £87. I replaced one of mine out of warranty a few months ago. Extending the warranty with a TD manifold and remap would not affect the warranty on other parts, engine internals excepted, though coil packs would probably be covered. But I'd check that as it's the most common thing to fail. 

Be aware that you cannot have an extended warranty over 100K miles so if you are anywhere near that it won't be worth doing. 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Coil packs are around £87. I replaced one of mine out of warranty a few months ago. Extending the warranty with a TD manifold and remap would not affect the warranty on other parts, engine internals excepted, though coil packs would probably be covered. But I'd check that as it's the most common thing to fail. 

Be aware that you cannot have an extended warranty over 100K miles so if you are anywhere near that it won't be worth doing. 

Brilliant thanks, might just get the one that’s failed replaced.

This was the response from Toyota when asking if the Manifold, exhaust and remap would affect the warranty...”And yes unfortunately it would as the remap would change the set up, firing time and load on the engine at any given time. So if you were to install this it would be pointless doing the warranty. The exhaust would cause different degrees of exhaust backpressure, too.”

🤔🤔 Do you still think it’s worth going for the extendedtwo year warranty? I know they try to get out of paying for anything! 🙄

I would say that extended warranties are a bit of a gamble in terms of investment versus pay-off. You're guaranteeing that you're paying out on the offchance that it's cheaper in the long run. I'd rather mitigate my costs by spannering, preventative maintenace and sourcing parts.

7 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

I would say that extended warranties are a bit of a gamble in terms of investment versus pay-off. You're guaranteeing that you're paying out on the offchance that it's cheaper in the long run. I'd rather mitigate my costs by spannering, preventative maintenace and sourcing parts.

You're not even guaranteeing a payout, because unless there is a known recurring issue there is hardly anything that will fail on a 5 year old car that is actually claimable. At that age, most failures will be wear and tear which is not covered. IMHO extended warranties are virtually never worth the money.

It's clearly not worth going with an extended warranty with that dealer from what you say. YMMV varies of course. I would say that given that the only real thing that seems to consistently go wrong is the coil packs, there is generally very little else that breaks. If you have a remap as well, you are voiding the warraty on the engine internals. 

I looked at the extended warranty and was going to go for it, but I had done 100K miles, which they will not cover on extended warranty, so I had no options there. So far I've had my final coil pack replaced. I'm nearly at 120K miles now. 

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

It's clearly not worth going with an extended warranty with that dealer from what you say. YMMV varies of course. I would say that given that the only real thing that seems to consistently go wrong is the coil packs, there is generally very little else that breaks. If you have a remap as well, you are voiding the warraty on the engine internals. 

I looked at the extended warranty and was going to go for it, but I had done 100K miles, which they will not cover on extended warranty, so I had no options there. So far I've had my final coil pack replaced. I'm nearly at 120K miles now. 

Mine's only at about 50,000 but yeah I think i'll just set aside the money I would be paying into the warranty and get the coil pack replaced once the CEL comes on again. Thanks for the help! Is it ever the spark plugs which are the issue, I have my 60,000 service next year where I know they get changed.. Or is it usually always the coil packs which cause the problems with misfires?

Spark plugs are consistently reliable as long as the engine is running cleanly, and the HT leads are keeping them dry. Coilpacks on the other hand thermally degrade, and eventually short or don't spark strongly enough. It is particularly the case if the engine block is super-toasty.

2 hours ago, DaveeeB93 said:

Mine's only at about 50,000 but yeah I think i'll just set aside the money I would be paying into the warranty and get the coil pack replaced once the CEL comes on again. Thanks for the help! Is it ever the spark plugs which are the issue, I have my 60,000 service next year where I know they get changed.. Or is it usually always the coil packs which cause the problems with misfires?

It's always the coil pack, pretty much never the plugs. If you have an OBD reader plug it in and I'll bet it will say it's a coil pack. It doesn't usually cause a misfire though. I've had all four replaced  and it was only the last one which went at 110K that totally failed so it was running on three cylinders. All the other ones I didn't notice any difference save for the EML coming on.