kacpr

Life after 5 year old

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, Lauren said:

It's always the coil pack, pretty much never the plugs. If you have an OBD reader plug it in and I'll bet it will say it's a coil pack. It doesn't usually cause a misfire though. I've had all four replaced  and it was only the last one which went at 110K that totally failed so it was running on three cylinders. All the other ones I didn't notice any difference save for the EML coming on. 

£320 I've been quoted to replace the coil pack because of the dropping of the engine to get to them... Although he said he'd do me a "deal" so hopefully get some money off.

Also been told my brakes and pads are low which will cost about £700. What alternatives are there to these, any recommendations? Not looking to spend a bomb!

15 minutes ago, DaveeeB93 said:

£320 I've been quoted to replace the coil pack because of the dropping of the engine to get to them... Although he said he'd do me a "deal" so hopefully get some money off.

Also been told my brakes and pads are low which will cost about £700. What alternatives are there to these, any recommendations? Not looking to spend a bomb!

You don't need to drop the engine to get at them. You can replace them in situ. Sounds like you are going to the wrong place to get your car fixed. I watched Gary change my coil pack last time it failed at a sprint. He did it in 15 minutes and the engine was hot! Replacing OEM pads and discs is a little under £500 fitted from your dealer. 

It sounds like wherever you are going are hugely taking the piss to be frank. 

35 minutes ago, Lauren said:

You don't need to drop the engine to get at them. You can replace them in situ. Sounds like you are going to the wrong place to get your car fixed. I watched Gary change my coil pack last time it failed at a sprint. He did it in 15 minutes and the engine was hot! Replacing OEM pads and discs is a little under £500 fitted from your dealer. 

It sounds like wherever you are going are hugely taking the piss to be frank. 

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, Church said:

Not easy. Due wide because of boxer design engine and cramped under-bonnet space. I suggest googling for DIY spark plug change though, as if done by dealer it might be very expensive. I guess because official dealer procedure for changing spark-plugs IIRC involved lifting engine, thus due high hour pay they ask much. By DIY guide it was not easy, but possible without lifting engine.

Looks like Church was right. I've just watched some videos and It's possible doing it without moving the engine but makes it hard with the amount of space. The mechanics just want to make it as easy as possible for themselves... Next time I may just have a go myself.

Tbf the lad there has been brilliant since I've had my 86. He's got me £400 off my 5th and 6th services combined. Recommending I get my brakes done elsewhere because of the price they charge (probably could get in trouble for telling me that) and customer service generally has been brilliant. He's promised to do a deal so hopefully he knocks quite a bit off the labour .. we'll see :)

6 minutes ago, DaveeeB93 said:

Looks like Church was right. I've just watched some videos and It's possible doing it without moving the engine but makes it hard with the amount of space. The mechanics just want to make it as easy as possible for themselves... Next time I may just have a go myself.

Tbf the lad there has been brilliant since I've had my 86. He's got me £400 off my 5th and 6th services combined. Recommending I get my brakes done elsewhere because of the price they charge (probably could get in trouble for telling me that) and customer service generally has been brilliant. He's promised to do a deal so hopefully he knocks quite a bit off the labour .. we'll see :)

Or are they in an easier place to access than the spark plugs? :unsure::lol: If so I might give him a call back!

8 minutes ago, DaveeeB93 said:

You need to lift the engine slightly to change the spark plugs. I thought we was talking about coil packs here which you can of course replace in situ?

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

You need to lift the engine slightly to change the spark plugs. I thought we was talking about coil packs here which you can of course replace in situ?

Sorry he was replying to someone who asked how hard the coils were to replace so assumed he was talking about them. I'll give him a ring and see what he says :)

2 hours ago, DaveeeB93 said:

Sorry he was replying to someone who asked how hard the coils were to replace so assumed he was talking about them. I'll give him a ring and see what he says :)

I honestly would expect £87 for the coil pack and one hours labour. Around £120-130 or so. 

56 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I honestly would expect £87 for the coil pack and one hours labour. Around £120-130 or so. 

Brilliant thanks, I hope so, got too many things I want to upgrade in the coming months :lol: I've let him know it should be a 15-30 minute job and they don't have to move the engine. He said that's what he was told and he was going to check it out for me first :)

So I've just had another quote from MrClutch using genuine Toyota brakes and they've come out at almost 700 for new pads and discs all round. Has anyone got any suggestions where to go, would a local garage probably be the cheapest?

26 minutes ago, Church said:

What is state of current pads/rotors? Rotors often live through 3-5 pads sets, do they really need replacement?

Do they? I've found I generally get around 34K miles or so to a set of pads. By that point the discs need changing too. 

Lauren: my still stock original disks still have enough thickness and not yet due replacement, even while being through stock and currently on 3rd ferodo ds2500 set. Speeds are not that high for me due never using too grippy tires and keeping sessions short below 15min though and 4/5ths or track days on relatively small (&slow) karting tracks. I wonder if it might be with you putting higher loads on yours, eg. more agressive track oriented pads, forced induction, longer track sessions, stickier tires - you had none of these?

Still, it's worth by oneself to check real state of current parts, not blindly trust "dealership bill" :). Eg. not all type of cracks mean disk warrants immediate replacement. Uneven braking because of "mythical disk warp" rarely needs to be fixed with new disks, rather at most resurfacing, or just properly bedding to deal with uneven bedded deposits. How thick are current rotors? How much material there really is on current pads?

4 hours ago, DaveeeB93 said:

So I've just had another quote from MrClutch using genuine Toyota brakes and they've come out at almost 700 for new pads and discs all round. Has anyone got any suggestions where to go, would a local garage probably be the cheapest?

Speak to James at Amber Performance for Stoptech centric blank discs (about £100 an axle) add some decent road pads (about £150 front and rear) then either fit them yourself or pay someone a couple of hours labour to do it for you, either way should come in comfortably under £700!

14 hours ago, Deacon said:

Speak to James at Amber Performance for Stoptech centric blank discs (about £100 an axle) add some decent road pads (about £150 front and rear) then either fit them yourself or pay someone a couple of hours labour to do it for you, either way should come in comfortably under £700!

Thanks Deacon. I've had a look on their website but can't find the Stoptech discs, and looking around these seem to be £200 per axel?

They do have EBC discs at about £200 all round, I don't need a massive upgrade, only need them to be at least as good as OEM which I presume they would be?

Cheers

Thanks Deacon. I've had a look on their website but can't find the Stoptech discs, and looking around these seem to be £200 per axel?
They do have EBC discs at about £200 all round, I don't need a massive upgrade, only need them to be at least as good as OEM which I presume they would be?
Cheers
You need to speak to James for the centric blanks, the Stoptech listed are the grooved, etc ones which are more expensive. Personally I wouldn't use the EBC stuff but many do

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Toyota are crazy expensive for brake discs and pads and fitting!

I purchased pagid discs from eurocarparts and a set of rear pads. Then got an upgraded front set of pads from Partbox on here (preformance friction Z)

£200 or just under and self fitted. Or a local garage would charge a couple of hours labour. So including labour plus new fluid if you wanted to save yourself the hassle I would Expect a drive in and out service from an independent to be about  £400 :-)