kacpr

Life after 5 year old

Hey

Since most of our 2012 cars are now running out of Warranty, what are your plans with it? Have any of you decided to extend the warranty via one of the dealers?
How does that work?

I'm considering it, since this first batch of cars is probably the one with most problems (before they noticed and fixed some of the quirks), but information on the internet is scarce.
From what I gathered every dealer sells extensions to the warranty on their own and any claims would have to go only through that franchise, am I right? 

Didn't extend mine seems too much variation on what is covered and who will do what and in my case the people I would have to go to are useless and to be fair mine is one of the oldest and hasn't had some issues newer cars have had

RRG Macclesfield do an extended two year warranty: 

http://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/topic/5101-extended-warranty-gt86-offer/

They are easily the best Toyota dealer when it comes to GT86's. My car is over 100K so now out of warranty. I must admit, I haven't as of yet taken out the warranty am a bit in two minds as I have money saved for any emergencies, but the car has been very reliable so far. I guess coil packs which always seem to rear their head every 30K miles or so will keep happening, but I guess it's weighing it up against the cost of the warranty opposed to what it will cost me to change some coilpacks. It is a fair deal really. 

1 hour ago, kacpr said:

I only just got it 😭 A year ago, 2nd hand

I had mine for 2 years and the only thing that broke was diff bearings due to the oil level being low (previous owner had taken the diff apart and most likely not topped it up fully)

so you'll be fine, unlikely to break anything expensive

renewed mine 4 weeks ago and a coil pack went last week. fixed, no questions asked.

Cost me £513.00 in total i think. I'd rather have it there personally

Even if it doesn't cover anything, It goes against most major components and that's enough for me.

FWIW, this post got me thinking and I decided seeing as I use my car everyday for work and well, everything, it made sense to take out the extended warranty for two years. My car is not yet 5 years old but has crossed the 100K mile mark. 

It's £546 all in. Or £45.50 a month for 12 months interest free. That's with RRG Macclesfield of course. :)

I've been reading into the coilpack issue as I've had some frustration with it. It seems on the 2014 model car they updated the wiring loom and coils themselves to have different wiring connectors, which mostly resolved the issue. It seems it is the connectors that are susceptible to heat. Doesn't help those of us stuck with 2012/2013 model coils though, as I imagine a loom retrofit would not be forthcoming from Toyota.

8 hours ago, maurice said:

I've been reading into the coilpack issue as I've had some frustration with it. It seems on the 2014 model car they updated the wiring loom and coils themselves to have different wiring connectors, which mostly resolved the issue. It seems it is the connectors that are susceptible to heat. Doesn't help those of us stuck with 2012/2013 model coils though, as I imagine a loom retrofit would not be forthcoming from Toyota.

Is it definitely 2014 cars? Considering the abuse mine has had, I would have expected to have killed at least one of them...

3 hours ago, Minion said:

I have a June 2013 one and not had a single problem what so ever, it does get driven hard as well

The more mileage you do, the more likely it is to happen. I've had three go in 106K miles. 

22 hours ago, Minion said:

I have a June 2013 one and not had a single problem what so ever, it does get driven hard as well

How many track days have you done?

As far as I can see 90% of the people who experience problems are trackdayers.

1 minute ago, maurice said:

None yet and you've just scared me for when I start next year 😂

6 minutes ago, maurice said:

I've done about 15 ish over the last 5 years and not had one yet. 

I'm trying not to be anecdotal, as to be honest individual reports of "mine is fine after xxx track days", "I drive hard" - aren't very helpful in the grand scheme of figuring out what causes it. A trend is.

From reading reports plus my own experience it seems to be more likely to happen when shifting at/near the red line, when there is a lot of heat in the engine bay (i.e. during a track session). If you're shifting at 7k rpm it's less frequent. Once it's happened once during a trackday it will come back a lot easier.

There's some concensus from the US contingent that coil packs are near enough a consumable if tracking the car on a regular basis, although they tend to have warmer ambient temperatures which can't help. Some advocate wrapping the outer in gold reflective heat tape to help them last longer.

The last time I had one pop up was at the end of a Nordschliefe lap when I decided to give it full beans on the huge Dottinger straight. Hot engine bay, first 7400rpm shift and there you go. Not seen since. Annoyingly I bet it will pop up at Oulton next week, but I can't warranty it as I can't reproduce it on the road.

I may put a poll up or something!

Edit -

Current plan is to think about upgrading to the 2nd gen depending on what it's like (probably not if the front looks anything like that HV concept thing and it's auto only ) else keep it till it dies.

Just a slight update. Went to the two year extended warranty and they won't do it on a car with over 100K miles. It's worth knowing that an extended warranty won't cover you over 100 miles. So it's only useful if you are sure you will be under the 100K miles in the next two years. 

On 10/28/2017 at 1:52 PM, maurice said:

I'm trying not to be anecdotal, as to be honest individual reports of "mine is fine after xxx track days", "I drive hard" - aren't very helpful in the grand scheme of figuring out what causes it. A trend is.

They're useful for determining prevalence though. Mine is an early model and no coilpacks as yet at 50k miles.

On 28/10/2017 at 1:52 PM, maurice said:

From reading reports plus my own experience it seems to be more likely to happen when shifting at/near the red line, when there is a lot of heat in the engine bay (i.e. during a track session). If you're shifting at 7k rpm it's less frequent. Once it's happened once during a trackday it will come back a lot easier.

There's some concensus from the US contingent that coil packs are near enough a consumable if tracking the car on a regular basis, although they tend to have warmer ambient temperatures which can't help. Some advocate wrapping the outer in gold reflective heat tape to help them last longer.

The last time I had one pop up was at the end of a Nordschliefe lap when I decided to give it full beans on the huge Dottinger straight. Hot engine bay, first 7400rpm shift and there you go. Not seen since. Annoyingly I bet it will pop up at Oulton next week, but I can't warranty it as I can't reproduce it on the road.

I may put a poll up or something!

Edit -

Looking for a trend without giving the option of 'no problem'  seems a bit pointless - it'll just produce a 100% response of 'there is a problem'. Better surely to give the same choices in the questionnaire for not having an issue to see how much of an issue the coil pack eml is (if at all)?