Lowe

Lowe's Team Grey

2 hours ago, Minion said:

Mine were the complete opposite front took a matter of minutes but the rear took me hours of scrubbing to remove the glue residueĀ :lol:Ā 

Yeah, I got the hairdryer out which made it a lot easier to get large clumps off, then broke out the glue dissolver and microfibre cloths. Got there in the end though! :)

Ā 

So a bit of an update.

40k service has been and gone. Rich/Gary at RRG Macclesfield did their magic just before Xmas. My rear seat button is being passed on to Toyota GB for their insight, it's been refitted but the leather underneath is stretched and damaged. It's not really that noticeable but is does kinda set my OCD off... I'm awaiting their response via Rich.

In other news, I saw puddle projectors on eBay a while back and wasn't sure what to make of them - in the end I bought a set to try. I've not managed to set them up properly yet, they need adjusting to make the logo circular. But for now I do kinda like them in a chavy kind of way. I've taken to calling them 'w**ker' lights. :D

BfZYaDk.jpg

Ā 

The parts bin has been steadily building up. Firstly, I picked up some carbon winglets for a good price. I tried fitting them, but wasn't happy with the way they went on, and they felt pretty loose so have taken them off for now. When the weather's better (drier) and I've got more time I'll try and get them installed again.

4bB8vbr.jpg

Ā 

With it being Christmas the other half was asking what I wanted. I was really after some money towards anĀ exhaust but never thought for a moment she'd actually go and get me one! In the next few days a Cobra resonated cat back will be on the way. Pleased. :)

Final update, more for the parts bin. I've been searching for a set of lightweight Rays (either TE37's or CE28) for a long time. Ideally I wanted 17", but I came across a set of CE28's in 18x8 at a price which frankly I couldn't turn down. After a 7 hour round trip these beauties are mine:

7TV3wG2.jpg

Two are pretty much mint, two have some light kerbing. Longer term I'll get them refurbed in black.Ā The tyres aren't that good - lots of tread but budget brands. I'll need to sort this as and when funds allow - another member has offered me some part worn Yokohama's to get me going but with these unforeseen purchases, Xmas and now my insurance being due I need to hang fire and see how much money I have free - chances are not enough right now!Ā 

Tomorrow I'll give Lucas at Partbox a ring. Need to see how much spigots are, and I've also heard I can't use the standard wheel nuts with these wheels. Once I've got this lined up, the tyres bought/wheels refurbed it'll be time to find a garage, empty the parts binĀ and get it all fitted. I think it'll be quite the transformation when done!Ā :)

Ā 

Ā 

Lovely wheels!Ā  I was planning exactly the same thing for my grey 86; either TE37 or CE28.Ā  Both styles look perfect on our cars but I was erring towards the CE28SL; I've already asked Lucas how much they would cost and am hoping to buy a set in a few months, all being well...

Are you going to use spacers, and are you going to have them refurbed in black before fitting?Ā  I'm curious as to how grey-on-grey works as a look.

Not planning on spacers since theyā€™ll be a bit wider than stock even with a guessedĀ 48 ET. And yes,Ā will be refurbed before fitting - I think grey on grey might be a bit too err... dull. But that said the stock wheels are grey on the inside and itā€™s notĀ too bad I suppose. Tricky one imho. Iā€™m going for a black/carbon look.Ā 

Looking forward to seeing the wheels on. Personally Iā€™d avoid going black, you lose all the detail of the wheelsĀ and Iā€™d be carrying tyre shine around with me constantly. I had bronze Works on my grey 86, brings a bit of colour to stop it being so monochromatic and makes more of a feature of the wheelsĀ :)

Snag is I canā€™t deal with bronze, something about it doesnā€™t work for me. I know what you mean about tyre shine, but I have some special stuff that stays black - itā€™s only really winter where itā€™d look bad and to be honest Iā€™d probably go back to stock wheels over winter.Ā 

53 minutes ago, Lowe said:

Not planning on spacers since theyā€™ll be a bit wider than stock even with a guessedĀ 48 ET. And yes,Ā will be refurbed before fitting - I think grey on grey might be a bit too err... dull. But that said the stock wheels are grey on the inside and itā€™s notĀ too bad I suppose. Tricky one imho. Iā€™m going for a black/carbon look.Ā 

That's what the spoke stickers are for - giving it a bit of colourĀ :lol:Ā  Sounds like we have similar tastes though; I don't really like bronze wheels with grey either.Ā  Hopefully as long as the wheels are shiny enough, it'll still look good.Ā  I tried some gunmetalĀ TE37SLs on a grey 86 in Gran Turismo and thoseĀ looked alright, but they're only 8.5J and wider in 18" and the offset is different, which is why I'm leaning towards the CE28SL.Ā  Since ET48 is the same as stockĀ it should keep a similar steering feel with no spacers.Ā  If/when I get some CE28s, I'llĀ go without spacers unless the wheels look so horribly lost that it completely offends me.

Looking forward to seeing some more pictures when you get everything fitted!

Fair enough, I know what you mean about bronze, if itā€™s too dark it doesnā€™t work at all for me either. I spent days photoshopping different wheel designs and colours before choosing - I think the grey is probably the hardest colour to choose wheels for.Ā Looking forward to seeing them on the carĀ :)

Right then, now this threads back open I best update it.

My wife is a legend and bought me a Cobra resonated cat back for Christmas. I'd been waiting to sort insurance before putting it on, and now that's sorted it was time to get on with the install. Props to Chris Knott Insurance for making no extra charge for adding the exhaust, that was a pleasant surprise.Ā :)

So the car went on the ramp and I was anticipating the OEM exhaust to be a troublesome so and so to remove. To my surprise it came away easily, and it wasn't long before we'd got the Cobra in its place. The fit was absolutely spot on withĀ no adjustments needed at all; I'd say the whole thing was done in 40-45 minutes.Ā 

IHvLFg6.jpg

2AlsMKU.jpg

tuS7RRe.jpg

Ā 

First fire up was lovely. Not too loud but a definite change to the exhaust note. Much bassier, with a little bit of pop on over run. It's much better now it's coked up and settled in, far quieter, though cold starts are still a bit fruity and not so good for my neighbours!Ā Motorway journeys aren't uncomfortable despite the slight increase in noise. I do wish there was a little bit more snarl to the note from the cabin, but on balance I think it's a good compromise between being OTT and too quiet. Noticed a bit more urgency throughout the rev range, especially at the low endĀ but I wouldn't say it's added a load of power. Couple of extra brake always helps though.Ā :)Ā 

Ā 

Also since where I work we have a theatre space, we have coloured gels for putting in the stage lights. I came across some unusual gel offcuts in that it was a 'smoke' colour. So, I took a piece and offered it up to the reverse/fog light to see what it would look like. Much better. To my surprise despite not being held in place with any adhesive it's not moved and doesn't look like it's going to fall out any time soon either. If it does though I know that I definitely need to get it tinted, I think it looks much better.Ā :)

hanzpQ5.jpg

Ā 

In other news, my CE28's have been sent off for refurb/respray. I managed to pick up some fresh stickers and cheap centre caps off Aliexpress for when they come back (hopefully tomorrow) and picked up some temporary rubber off another forum user. Just need to double check the bore measurements and then order some spigots and nuts from @Lucas@PartBoxĀ and then I can think about getting the springs swapped, wheels put on, camber bolts in and getting theĀ alignment done. It's slowly getting there. :)

Ā 

So as per my other posts I did a test fitment the other week since I wasn't sure if these CE28's were the right bolt pattern. I whipped off the front wheel and to my relief they fitted without issue. The offset looked OK too, near enough flush with the arch, but I guess once the lowering springs go on and a bit of camber is dialled in this will push in the top end a bit.Ā 

i7Fkkdu.jpg

So they got sent off for refurb - I specified wet spray rather than powder coat due to concerns of the forged aluminium annealing under the oven heat. Having had a wheel crack before, I didn't fancy repeating the experience! They came back on Saturday morning, and I'm super pleased with the result!

8Kr9XoV.jpg

4iTWBbs.jpg

Metallic black - the flake is super subtle under diffused lightĀ but when the sun hits it looks incredible - much like 61k grey, so in keeping with the rest of the car. I gave them a good clean up and then got to work with the decals and centre caps.

pCV9kYA.jpg

Seriously can NOT wait to get the rest of the car done. But will have to, I'm now broke. :DĀ 

Yesterday, I had a surprisingĀ message off the TPIC shop on Aliexpress who sold me the poorly shaped carbon trim for the drivers door switch panel. For some reason they'd not been able to see my messages asking for help, were very apologetic and haveĀ acknowledged there was an issue with fitment. The RHD trim has beenĀ redesigned and they're going to contact me once available so I can order one and replace the bodged whitetak fitment I have at the moment!

Had some goodies arrive yesterday from Partbox. :)Ā Lucas hooked me up with some Rays nuts and spigots.

YV8GZUS.jpg

UPS unfortunately were determined to smash up the package, but luckily no damage done other than the nuts packaging being broken. I went for the steel nuts since I didn't want issues with them coming loose or even worse corroding to the bolts! (steel/alumininium oxidisation, had that happen before, nasty!)

I had a look at fitting the spigots but it appears I've been a plonker and got the measurements wrong, argh!Ā :rolleyes:

HwK4RTk.jpg

Ā 

Reading through this thread has certainly been entertaining and gotten me through a long night shift so thanks for that!šŸ˜‚

I also own a grey 86 and I wasn't sure if I'd likeĀ the smoke option with the rear lights and went with red/clear onesĀ but after seeing your Valentis I may have to aquire some tintĀ 

20180203_164232.jpg

4 hours ago, x14JSx said:

Reading through this thread has certainly been entertaining and gotten me through a long night shift so thanks for that!šŸ˜‚

I also own a grey 86 and I wasn't sure if I'd likeĀ the smoke option with the rear lights and went with red/clear onesĀ but after seeing your Valentis I may have to aquire some tintĀ 

No worries, glad it was entertaining enough to keep you going hehe. :)

To be honest I was happy with the reds and think on an otherwise standard car they're probably the better option. If you smoke the rears then the centre light NEEDS to be done as well and I really think a debadge is in order, else it looks unbalanced, with the badges being 'bright' silver. That was my one regret, should have done it all in one go, it looked so much better once I'd sorted it all out.Ā 

Loving the TRD spoiler, I think I'm likely to lose my batwing and get a carbon TRD lookalike to go with the rest of the carbon stuff I've got.

So more stuff in the diary... This Friday I'm off to Partbox with one of the wheels to try and get the spigots sorted. I need that doing because on the 19th I'm booked in for lowering and wheel fitting/alignment. Whilst I'm working on the car I'm goingĀ to get the canards put on - this time I hope they stay on!

Also, I'm hoping to have a set of these to put on...

tLP8BAU.jpg

I'm off to the States for a little while, so have arranged for these to be delivered to the hotel. Hopefully they'll fit in-between some clothes in the suitcase for the way home. :D