Lowe

Lowe's Team Grey

Ive noticed on three different system ive had on mine, that they get louder when hot after a long run. Its the packing material in the absorption silencers I think. 

Exhaust sounds really nice! love a subtle pop too. 

Cheers, I've been experimenting (read being an absolute child) with it over the weekend driving through various high walled narrow roads, underpasses and tunnels. Haven't stopped smiling haha!

20 hours ago, Ade said:

Ive noticed on three different system ive had on mine, that they get louder when hot after a long run. Its the packing material in the absorption silencers I think.

Thanks - glad it's not just me.  Did a fast run down the motorway this morning and it was definitely louder pulling away from the slip road roundabout afterwards.

Small update, Aliexpress had a big sale so I ordered loads of tat. The first thing to arrive is these suppositories, that double up as LED indicator bulbs. One of my minor annoyances was the way the front indicators look orange in the reflectors when viewed head on due to the huge orange bulb. 

5zml6ab.jpg

Fitting was literally a 5 minute job, unscrew the 3 small lower trim clips in the wheel arch liner, reach in and unscrew the bulb holder. Swap the bulb, check that polarity is OK, re-screw in and refit arch liner and clips.

WUERT2h.jpg

cYXBwGv.jpg

MHVm1lp.jpg

They loads brighter too which is ideal since I'm planning on tinting the housing to match the side repeaters. :) 

Marmite time!

aHKig0F.jpg

Saw these for sale the other week and couldn't get down there quick enough to get them! They're the matching rear deck to my side louvres. Turns out it was Matt, the owner of MB Developments, a pretty well known Impreza breakers. He's got a BRZ as a personal car and these were from that. That said there wasn't much left of his own car :lol: To say it's undergoing a transformation would be an understatement. It was basically a rolling shell, everything back to bare metal in the most, and it had been attacked with an angle grinder. Rear arches cut away with wide arches being put in place. Custom made front wings with canards on too though none of that will be long term, since these are moulds for the carbon fibre panels that will go on once made. Oh, and there's a stinking great 2JZ in the front! :lol: This will be an absolute weapon when it's finished, I can't wait to see what it looks like in the end. Might be worth keeping an eye out for the company too since I guess they'll probably start doing more BRZ/86 platform stuff if the demand's there. Anyhoo, back to louvres.

They were a little dusty since they'd been kept next to the BRZ when it was being fibreglassed so first port of call was a bloody good wash, and then layer of trim sealant to bring the black out a bit. That's when I took the above photo. Next job was removing all the old 3M tape that was stuck to the inner edge and the mounting brackets. This was a slow, slow process even with the careful use of sticky stuff remover. At this point I noticed one of the mounting brackets was missing and a couple of the rounded nuts were a bit damaged, so I managed to source some replacements along with fresh washers from Screwfix. 

Next step was to put some fresh 3M down.

tOQrfva.jpg

I decided to miss out the top two brackets since I was already one down and instead concentrate on some good thick 3M there. I put in a couple of water breaks along the top and bottom edges for good measure. Since I didn't have the original template for the brackets it would be a one shot deal on lining everything up once the 3M was peeled, so I placed the brackets into the louvres and finger tightened them up. My father in law gave me a hand fitting them, and we did a dry fit first to make sure everything was OK. The fit was spot on, so we used double glazing packers wedged in-between the glass and body to act as guides once we went for the final fitting. It worked pretty much spot on, lots of pressure and heat to help the 3M bite and then it was left in the garage overnight to cure.

1dG4Erh.jpg

Rear visibility is obviously compromised, but not actually by all that much. The cabin is much darker though, especially in the back as you'd expect.

GoFOx0C.jpg

FG4mGye.jpg

Overall I'm really pleased. I know they're not to everyone's taste, yes they probably ruin airflow and add weight... but I think they look cool AF. ;) 

Did you find out what brand they are or where Matt picked them up from?

I had my eyes on them too but was worried about the rear visibility but it doesn't look to bad so might have to pick myself up a set.

They're Ikons - or at the very least made in the same factory. Matt couldn't remember exactly where they'd been imported from other than it was from Japan. Bit unusual given they're an US company though. 

QlOI5js.jpg

Ikon do two styles, but their pictures of this type show their prototype which has a slightly different brake light area (wider gap). The actual production ones look like mine. 

Taken from here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125122&page=8

So the one thing I've never done to a car I've owned is ITBs. I'm trying to get my head around the options available and since it's not really been done in the UK that I've seen, getting information on it is pretty difficult.

Greddy have made a kit - well, EMC Engineering in Japan have made a kit that Greddy have bought the rights to sell in the USA. Not really sure what the crack is getting one to the UK. @Adrian@TORQEN is a distributor for Greddy, can you get hold of these at all? I don't think EMC sell to the UK, at least I can't understand enough Japanese to make sense of it anyway!

http://greddy.com/products/Special+Vehicles/frs-brz-86/?partnum=11910200

The kit seems to work by using removing the intake manifold/throttle body, replaced using remanufactured AE111 ITBs. There's a replacement vacuum unit, and the plenum still has the MAF so should just be a case of Ecutek tuning. Velocity stacks are apparently coming at a later date but this needs Speed Density tuning apparently? I don't really understand that, but I believe it's a way of tuning the car without using a MAF. @Mike@TD.co.uk is this something you're familiar with and do you think you'd be able to tune it up?

I also trying to get my head around this bit:

(additional fuel management not included - requires original OEM electronic throttle body and compatible fuel injectors and fuel rail)

So does this means it uses the OEM stuff or you need to buy other stuff?

Lots of questions...

Greddy USA were selling them half price recently so even with shipping etc that may be worth looking at. 

I was interested in these too but as they aren't meant to make much in the way of power and so be mainly for noise I wasn't massively impressed by the noise they make so have mostly dropped the idea. 

Be interesting to see though if you go ahead with them 

ITB without a plenum (so traditional velocity stacks) will need to be Alpha-N tuned, not SD. SD requires manifold pressure. It would be costly to tune as it'll require massive time calibrating. SD or MAF tuning can be done if you keep some form of inlet manifold, not quite as long to tune as a result. The standard manifold isn't too bad for the peak RPM flow, most ITB cars suit a higher rev limit but to do that you'll need head work on the FA20 and oiling system improvements that no-one seems to have worked out.

It's a lot of money for very little performance gain and really it's a choice of this or FI. It would make the car really lively if tuned well though as ITBs excel on throttle response if done well.

The port injectors are installed in the inlet manifold so would be ok of they fit the new set up. The rails are attached to each pair from what I remember.

2 hours ago, knightryder said:

ITB without a plenum (so traditional velocity stacks) will need to be Alpha-N tuned, not SD. SD requires manifold pressure. It would be costly to tune as it'll require massive time calibrating. SD or MAF tuning can be done if you keep some form of inlet manifold, not quite as long to tune as a result. The standard manifold isn't too bad for the peak RPM flow, most ITB cars suit a higher rev limit but to do that you'll need head work on the FA20 and oiling system improvements that no-one seems to have worked out.

It's a lot of money for very little performance gain and really it's a choice of this or FI. It would make the car really lively if tuned well though as ITBs excel on throttle response if done well.

The port injectors are installed in the inlet manifold so would be ok of they fit the new set up. The rails are attached to each pair from what I remember.

I’ve been asking some questions about the kit, and Delicious were kind enough to answer really quickly. The kit is a full bolt on solution. Literally just needs a tune after fitting. 

As @Kadaver mentioned I bought his old Maxton Design splitter the other day. Longer term I'm thinking of getting some of the Verus Engineering aero stuff, but given the price of it I wanted to be sure that I wasn't going to bin it after 5 minutes. So, my thinking is try this and see how I get on. If I don't smash it up after a few months due to having such a low front end, then the Verus parts are a worthwhile purchase. I tried a mock fitting with cardboard risers just to get an idea of what it'll look like. I think visually it'll help balance up the front end, since the rear is looking quite aggressive with all the louvres etc, but the front is just kinda... well, stock.

ZdD3I4D.jpg

LNNIlPg.jpg

I think I'm going to paint the tie rods black to hide them a little more, and I'll probably drill out the Maxton badge to keep that looking a bit more stealth. That brick of a numberplate holder needs to come off too. Wish I had a warm garage haha!

On 30/10/2018 at 8:27 AM, Lowe said:

As @Kadaver mentioned I bought his old Maxton Design splitter the other day. Longer term I'm thinking of getting some of the Verus Engineering aero stuff, but given the price of it I wanted to be sure that I wasn't going to bin it after 5 minutes. So, my thinking is try this and see how I get on. If I don't smash it up after a few months due to having such a low front end, then the Verus parts are a worthwhile purchase. I tried a mock fitting with cardboard risers just to get an idea of what it'll look like. I think visually it'll help balance up the front end, since the rear is looking quite aggressive with all the louvres etc, but the front is just kinda... well, stock.

ZdD3I4D.jpg

LNNIlPg.jpg

I think I'm going to paint the tie rods black to hide them a little more, and I'll probably drill out the Maxton badge to keep that looking a bit more stealth. That brick of a numberplate holder needs to come off too. Wish I had a warm garage haha!

Gonna look so mean!

Sorry guys, I was away for SEMA SHOW in Las Vegas. Just catching up with the emails, enquiries, forums, Facebook etc.

Last time I spoke to GReddy on this they had 1 left in stock - 11910200

Please PM me in case you need further info on this.

Here's me with the GReddy team last week @ SEMA :) 

Adrian

IMG_0284.jpg

On 07/11/2018 at 5:20 PM, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Sorry guys, I was away for SEMA SHOW in Las Vegas. Just catching up with the emails, enquiries, forums, Facebook etc.

Last time I spoke to GReddy on this they had 1 left in stock - 11910200

Please PM me in case you need further info on this.

Here's me with the GReddy team last week @ SEMA :) 

Adrian

Hi Adrian, thanks for the post. The snag I'm finding is that everyone I talk to says that generally ITBs are a really bad idea on a daily and an utter nightmare to tune. Given mine is a daily that I'm pretty much relying on to get me to work and back until I hear a bit more about the actual 'usability' of the kit and some numbers I think I'm best holding off for now. I'm definitely keeping an eye on any further info though. :)

So the car went in to RRG for the big 60k service last Thursday. It was just before this the whole valve spring recall thing happened, and mine is one of the effected cars. Given that the work procedure is still unknown I asked if it was possible to do everything on the major service apart from the spark plugs, since I didn't see the point in having the engine lifted for the plugs only to have the same thing done again a month or so later for the springs. Every cloud and all that...

Whilst it was there I had a couple of other bits done. I'd picked up a Cosworth baffle plate a few months back, purely as a peace of mind thing. I don't do track work, but do hammer around the country lanes on the odd occasion and knowing how prone to oil issues the FA20 is I figured for a couple of hundred quid it was probably worth it. I took the splitter up as well, and that got chucked on. A few pics :)

I sprayed the rods black, but left the threads since for the moment I wasn't sure how far they'd need to be wound out. These will be touched in by hand when it's not chucking it down.

eMz4oBS.jpg

Freshly fitted and ready for collection from RRG Macc

qPs1SOM.jpg

Cleaned up a bit

rbngMwh.jpg

W2ByVrV.jpg

jldzOKr.jpg

The tie rod silver bits are setting my OCD off and I think I'll probably remove the Maxton badge as well. More stealth. Need to get the front brick off and sort some fresh plates now I think. :)