smudge

Photobucket f**k up

With the majority of build threads across the planet being ruined by Photobucket's new suicidal business plan, what other alternatives are there for 3rd party image hosting?

I've got over 10 years of build threads on various forums that are all now useless due to PB's monumental f**k up

I'm assuming there's no easy way of moving to a new provider other than downloading everything I don't have stored locally and re-uploading it?

I started using flickr. Easy enough. 

Sorry I meant easy enough going on from now, but yea a real pain if you had loads of images already uploaded. I only had a few on my build thread, but was still a pain. 

Yeah Photobucket managed to single handedly destroy 95% of forum content with that one. I've been using Flickr and Imgur but unfortunately no easy way to port all your old content over and fix your build thread.

TBH I don't blame photobucket, server resources cost money and it's your fluffup for relying on something that was free and not within your control. At least if my host has a moan for my resource usage I can take the files and domain over to a different host with minimal downtime/effort.

3 hours ago, maurice said:

Going from 0 to 400 dollars a year overnight is unprecedented though. A warning for anyone relying on cloud services of what can happen. I'll be surprised if they are around in 5 years time.

I wouldn't have begrudged them a fiver a month, but 400 bucks is a piss take.

16 hours ago, Nimz said:

Yeah Photobucket managed to single handedly destroy 95% of forum content with that one.

I'd guess that this is the reasoning behind their decision, they were the go to for forum users and therefore high traffic demands with very little income was obviously becoming detrimental. IMO they really needed to start charging earlier which would have prevented this prohibitive high cost they have now introduced.

18 hours ago, Steeps said:

TBH I don't blame photobucket, server resources cost money and it's your fluffup for relying on something that was free and not within your control. At least if my host has a moan for my resource usage I can take the files and domain over to a different host with minimal downtime/effort.

Oh yeah, totally my fault for using a free service...what an idiot I am

No, it's relying on a free service then bitching when it goes away and how much work it would take to set up elsewhere. Free hosts always come and go, changing conditions with subscription options and advertising packages.

Would you rather they just closed all the free hosting accounts instead, deleting all the data?

9 hours ago, Steeps said:

No, it's relying on a free service then bitching when it goes away and how much work it would take to set up elsewhere. Free hosts always come and go, changing conditions with subscription options and advertising packages.

Would you rather they just closed all the free hosting accounts instead, deleting all the data?

I think Jordans argument is the change had come with absolutely no warning what so ever, which is pretty shitty imo.

@smudge Imgur or Flickr are your best bet. Though there are Browser add-ons which fix it. Obviously only for you though lol.

25 minutes ago, rob275 said:

I think Jordans argument is the change had come with absolutely no warning what so ever, which is pretty shitty imo.

@smudge Imgur or Flickr are your best bet. Though there are Browser add-ons which fix it. Obviously only for you though lol.

Rob you changed your profile pic!

Wouldn't be too difficult to make something go through the forum pages and grab photobucket images and upload them to imgur, the problem comes in editing the actual posts to update the links... although won't be impossible...

@rob275 how far back can people edit their posts?

11 hours ago, gazza82 said:

Add ~original after .jpg in the link ... voilà!

that won't last forever, Photobucket will put a stop to it and you're back to square one again.

Far better to just dump the service now.

16 hours ago, Steeps said:

Having been around for over a decade, hosting over 10billion images, is hardly "come and go" now is it?

As Rob said, there was no warning of this change. It was pretty much overnight which is why people feel like it's a demand for $400.

A reasonable annual or monthly cost would be fine, but a sudden $400 price tag is just ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Wouldn't be too difficult to make something go through the forum pages and grab photobucket images and upload them to imgur, the problem comes in editing the actual posts to update the links... although won't be impossible...

@rob275 how far back can people edit their posts?

Theres no time limit afaik I removed it. So forever :D 

6 hours ago, Mr Slow said:

that won't last forever, Photobucket will put a stop to it and you're back to square one again.

Far better to just dump the service now.

Maybe not but you can download them with 'Save image ...' then   ....

Plus it gives forum admins a bit longer to find a solution ...