JakeGT86

Newbie from South Wales

Hi everyone! I’m new to this forum and wanted to say hello so I can start to get to know you all. 

I recently purchased my GT86 from a Toyota dealership in Cambridge, which is one hell of a drive from South Wales btw, who helped me out from the start and gave great customer service all the way. So a shout out to sage from Steven eagell. 

The car is a 13 plate with 47k miles on the clock and is in great condition for the price I paid. Yes it is my first 86 but I’m already in love with it! I’ll attach a few pictures so you can guys can have a look and I’m welcome to any recommendations on cheap mods I can do to it straight away to get me going. I’m looking to just keep this car clean and spend the least I can on any mods. 

If anybody on here is from South Wales then get in touch, would love to find any meetups or events you guys are going to! 

214EBBC6-EE76-4C66-A2B5-B221314ED2CD.jpeg

D2911473-BAAA-4A49-920C-73B5CE285B9B.jpeg

8A9EAAA1-CFD9-4BBE-98FB-F3668BAD6689.jpeg

Welceom aboard! :)

There's a lot you can do modification wise, but it is better to plan and get it right first time. Most go for an exhaust manifold, decat and system and a remap. This is where the most gains are. Then there's wheels and suspension. Lots of stuff has been tried and tested over the years so we are well aware of what works well. Any questions, ask away. :)

Thanks for the response! I was definitely looking to go wheels and suspension first, trying to get the car to handle right before adding any extra power. I’ve done some shopping into coilovers and seen that some people like the tein street coilovers. They seem to be quite cost effective while also being really good for daily driving and performance. Can anyone give some clarity on that or recommend anything better?

I've had the TEINs in the older Streetflex version which would translate to Flex A's now with EDFC Active Pro for the last 3.5 years and done over 70K miles on them. I've been very happy with them and they have stood the mileage test very well. I've used the car for track days since I got it and have sprinted it for four years now. My car is obviously my daily given the mileage I've done and I've been very happy for them. Speedhumps are always a pain, but actually the ride is generally pretty good and much better damped than stock. 

You can go for more upmarket stuff like Ohlins which will be better and very good. The rebuild interval will be shorter though, so you need to think about stuff like that I would say. 

That’s great to hear that the Teins have held up! I’ll be doing similar driving to you with it mainly being my daily and attending the occasional track day. I doubt I’ll want to go upmarket and spend more then I’ve already got budgeted as I’ve plenty in mind on what I want to mod and need to save money for that hahaha! Does anyone know of a trusted dealer of tein suspension in the UK?

25 minutes ago, JakeGT86 said:

That’s great to hear that the Teins have held up! I’ll be doing similar driving to you with it mainly being my daily and attending the occasional track day. I doubt I’ll want to go upmarket and spend more then I’ve already got budgeted as I’ve plenty in mind on what I want to mod and need to save money for that hahaha! Does anyone know of a trusted dealer of tein suspension in the UK?

Speak to Richard (Riceburner on here) at Toyota RRG Macclesfield. He's a TEIN distributor. Can do install as well. 

4 hours ago, Jared said:

Welcome man where abouts in South Wales are you I'm in Ebbw Vale 

But more west and south then you, I’m in Pembrokeshire! Nice to meet you tho, any events for us guys down in Wales?

Ah ok, never really many events here, there was cruise culture last month at Carmarthen show ground and there's a group on Facebook called Welsh car club that are having a lil get together on 15 Oct but majority of the Welsh owners on here never have any meet ups 

I did see a few pictures of cruise culture and it looked pretty decent. I didn’t really expect to find many owners on here from South Wales so it’s a cool to even find a few 

Welcome.

When I owned my GT86 I tried organising a few meets, but there are only 3 or 4 guys from this area that bother showing their faces, and nobody seemed willing to travel more than 20 minutes for a meet, so I gave up.

Jared and I meet up fairly often (every few weeks) for a chat and a coffee, and have gone on a few drives, but nothing drastic as there are only 2 of us.

If there was more interest, Jared and I would almost certainly be at most meets, just takes somebody who doesn't mind spending time organising events for 2 or 3 people to do it. I didn't wanna waste the time tbh.

Hey nice to meet you! That’s a bit of a downer that not many people from the area wanted to meet up, hopefully if anybody tries to organise one again then we can get a few of us together. I definitely would be happy to meet up as I don’t mind driving far to meet up as Ill take any excuse to go for a drive in the car 😂😂 Where abouts are you located then?

1 hour ago, JakeGT86 said:

Hey nice to meet you! That’s a bit of a downer that not many people from the area wanted to meet up, hopefully if anybody tries to organise one again then we can get a few of us together. I definitely would be happy to meet up as I don’t mind driving far to meet up as Ill take any excuse to go for a drive in the car 😂😂 Where abouts are you located then?

I'm in Cwmbran.

Jared and I don't tend to plan anything, just a text and we meet up as we're only 20 mins or so apart.

If you ever wanna come down on a weekend and meet us and go for a drive or whatever, just let me know. Doesn't need to be planned in advance, as I'm almost always available on weekends/evenings.

9 hours ago, S18 RSG said:

I'm in Cwmbran.

Jared and I don't tend to plan anything, just a text and we meet up as we're only 20 mins or so apart.

If you ever wanna come down on a weekend and meet us and go for a drive or whatever, just let me know. Doesn't need to be planned in advance, as I'm almost always available on weekends/evenings.

Yeah that sounds an idea, whenever I’m down in that area next I’ll give you guys a message and see if you wanna go for a drive. Hopefully one day we can actually organise something with a few more guys and meet halfway between all of us and in ge middle of South Wales like Swansea way where everyone can get to and have a little chat.