Ch1L5t3R

Soon to be a GT86 Owner o/

Good evening GT86 fans!

Just thought i'd finally make a post and introduce myself :) My names Charlie, i live in Milton Keynes and work for Thames Valley Police. I currently drive a Toyota Celica 2001 in Blue which has been an awesome car to have from the age of 21! But after many months of saving, reading reviews and staring at forums and posters i have finally placed my deposit on a GT86! 

I'm picking myself up a 2013 GT86 in red (manual) with only 29k on the clock. Unfortunately as the car itself is still being driven by its first owner (its being handed back to the dealer on the 29th for me to then buy) i have no idea if it has the spoiler or Pro interior spec but regardless i'm getting it anyway! 

In regards to mods, in the short term as funds will be low i won't be doing any mods. But in the long term (as i plan to keep this veh for at least 10 years if all goes well) will be to lower the suspension a little, get some wider tyres with some white alloys, and possibly looking into getting the stage 1.1 cosworth upgrade package to help bridge the mid-range torque dip! 

I am also really interested in any meet ups. If anyone knows of any local groups that meet around Milton Keynes (or anywhere in Bucks/Beds/Northants/Oxon areas) would love to know so i can come down as soon as possible!

Other than that i will try to be an active member on this forum to check out other peoples ideas for mods etc and be part of the community! I will do a further post once i actually have the veh with some nice photos :) 

p.s - if the current driver of the veh MA13*** based in Milton Keynes is on this forum by any chance i would love for you to comment so i can get more details about your car as the end of the month cannot come sooner!! 

Hi Charlie, welcome aboard. As your car is a 2013 model it will have the spoiler. There wasn't a 'pro' model as such then, the leather/alcantara or full leather was simply an option on a list at that time. 

It sounds like this car as is coming in as a part ex? I am a little surprised the dealer doesn't know the spec of the car you have a deposit on, but it must have been a good price! 

Changing the exhaust with a supplied remap will help the torque dip, but nowhere near as much as a manifold will. Much is made of the whole torque dip thing and there are big improvements that can be made, but you can still enjoy it as is of course, so see how you get on. 

Welcome, I'm just outside of MK. We usually have a few meets around MK to chat cars and sample restaurants, also booking on track at Bedford and regular training sessions at Millbrook with CAT driver training to get the most out of our cars.

It's unusual for a dealer to be buying up cars that are over 4 years old but then again Steven Seagull constantly call me up trying to get me into a new car even though I had a bad experience with them the first time, so it sounds like they've convinced someone and waiting for delivery of the new car before they can get that one in to sell on.

The Cosworth 1.1 kit gains a bit low end but the biggest gains from a catback come after the dip when remapped, I've had it running on my car for the last 3 years and recently upgraded to the 1.3 kit. As Lauren says the best gains for the dip come from swapping out the manifold (to something long tube and decatted for best results) and a remap to match. Loads of parts available locally either from Amber Performance (Dunstable) or Fensport (Huntingdon way). The advantage of swapping out the catback/air filter first is you can usually swap them out without needing a remap straight away.

As Cosworth have discontinued their exhaust development it might be a struggle to get something now, however the 1.0 off the shelf kit can still be bought if you want to do the remap yourself with a package and occasionally a catback (0.1, making it a 1.1 kit) can be bought second hand. I currently have one that's done less than 2k road miles sitting in my garage that I took off my car (from new) as I was using it to test side by side my existing Cosworth catback (3 years old and 25k road miles). The catback alone is fine for noise, but as it's a 3" system once you start removing cats or swapping out manifolds the noise gets much louder much sooner so it's something to take into account with your long term modding plans. Unfortunately I got to try what adding a manifold to the car could do so my trade off is having a loud car but it is so much fun to drive. (within the speed limits honestly officer!)

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Hi Charlie, welcome aboard. As your car is a 2013 model it will have the spoiler. There wasn't a 'pro' model as such then, the leather/alcantara or full leather was simply an option on a list at that time. 

It sounds like this car as is coming in as a part ex? I am a little surprised the dealer doesn't know the spec of the car you have a deposit on, but it must have been a good price! 

Changing the exhaust with a supplied remap will help the torque dip, but nowhere near as much as a manifold will. Much is made of the whole torque dip thing and there are big improvements that can be made, but you can still enjoy it as is of course, so see how you get on. 

Hey Lauren :) Ah okay good to know as i prefer it with the spoiler! i presume then that mine won't have the heated seats then? i can live without this anyway :) 

And yes its coming in as a part exchange so the driver is getting a 2017 model. Yes very good price, getting it for 13.5k, looking online for the same price you cant get anything under 50k miles so im happy with 29k!

And thanks for the advice on the torque dip :) As i have read many times on this forum i will first drive the car for 3-6 months and enjoy it for what it is before changing anything though :) I'm going from a 16 year old 140bhp to a 4 year old 200 so im sure the torque dip won't bother me at all!

14 minutes ago, Steeps said:

Welcome, I'm just outside of MK. We usually have a few meets around MK to chat cars and sample restaurants, also booking on track at Bedford and regular training sessions at Millbrook with CAT driver training to get the most out of our cars.

It's unusual for a dealer to be buying up cars that are over 4 years old but then again Steven Seagull constantly call me up trying to get me into a new car even though I had a bad experience with them the first time, so it sounds like they've convinced someone and waiting for delivery of the new car before they can get that one in to sell on.

The Cosworth 1.1 kit gains a bit low end but the biggest gains from a catback come after the dip when remapped, I've had it running on my car for the last 3 years and recently upgraded to the 1.3 kit. As Lauren says the best gains for the dip come from swapping out the manifold (to something long tube and decatted for best results) and a remap to match. Loads of parts available locally either from Amber Performance (Dunstable) or Fensport (Huntingdon way). The advantage of swapping out the catback/air filter first is you can usually swap them out without needing a remap straight away.

As Cosworth have discontinued their exhaust development it might be a struggle to get something now, however the 1.0 off the shelf kit can still be bought if you want to do the remap yourself with a package and occasionally a catback (0.1, making it a 1.1 kit) can be bought second hand. I currently have one that's done less than 2k road miles sitting in my garage that I took off my car (from new) as I was using it to test side by side my existing Cosworth catback (3 years old and 25k road miles). The catback alone is fine for noise, but as it's a 3" system once you start removing cats or swapping out manifolds the noise gets much louder much sooner so it's something to take into account with your long term modding plans. Unfortunately I got to try what adding a manifold to the car could do so my trade off is having a loud car but it is so much fun to drive. (within the speed limits honestly officer!)

Hey Steeps!

Thats great to hear, looking forward to a meet up once i have my Gt86 :) Would definitely enjoy a track day or two to have a go at drifting safetly before being confident for small slides on wet days!

Yeah Steven egual in mk must have convinced this guy to trade in so i reserved the veh straight away due to the low mileage it has :) 

Thanks for the advice on the cosworth kits. I'll definitely take a look at amber performance and see what they offer as any package deals etc as i would prefer to pay someone a lump cost to do a package deal than source the parts myself then pay for labour as i would end up making a mistake! 

And don't worry, i'm not an officer, just take the 999 calls, i'm definitely very heavy footed myself. Regularly driving home on the a34 at 120 with my poor little celica gasping for a break xD 

1 hour ago, Ch1L5t3R said:

Hey Lauren :) Ah okay good to know as i prefer it with the spoiler! i presume then that mine won't have the heated seats then? i can live without this anyway :) 

And yes its coming in as a part exchange so the driver is getting a 2017 model. Yes very good price, getting it for 13.5k, looking online for the same price you cant get anything under 50k miles so im happy with 29k!

And thanks for the advice on the torque dip :) As i have read many times on this forum i will first drive the car for 3-6 months and enjoy it for what it is before changing anything though :) I'm going from a 16 year old 140bhp to a 4 year old 200 so im sure the torque dip won't bother me at all!

Hi Charlie, your car may have heated seats, it simply depends whether the previous owner ticked them on the options box when they ordered the car. A lot of people did to be fair though it was a £1600 option. 

If your car was bought through the dealer you are getting it from, they really ought to know what options it had. 

Good to have another Milton Keynes member, welcome aboard! I live over in Tattenhoe by the Prince George. 

As Steeps said we usually have a fair few meets. A few of us will probably be at the Silverstone Pistonheads Sunday Service event on October 29th if you're up for it! 

Maybe I'll see you around, I drive a Red BRZ and a Blue GT86  :)

Welcome aboard, @Steeps will be pleased to see another GT86 at the meets to help even out the BRZ vs 86's!

I've been a bit slack on organising the next meet as I'm changing jobs and buying a new house, just about to head to Orkney for a week but will be sorting something out when I'm back.

Welcome along, also local to Milton Keynes area. I'm sure there will be another Milton Keynes meet soon. (If not pistonheads meet at silverstone in October would be a nice first meet for your gt86). 

Welcome, and nice to see another Red car. 

That is a good price, mine had around 13500 miles also 2013. However it did have a few extras already added. TRD spoiler, Valenti lights, mud guards, reverse camera, Sharkfin antenna, full leather interior and I later found out it also had a remap which means I didn't have to pay for the EcuTek licence. 

Edit: oh and the armrest was installed. 

On 9/22/2017 at 7:38 AM, TTR said:

Good to have another Milton Keynes member, welcome aboard! I live over in Tattenhoe by the Prince George. 

As Steeps said we usually have a fair few meets. A few of us will probably be at the Silverstone Pistonheads Sunday Service event on October 29th if you're up for it! 

Maybe I'll see you around, I drive a Red BRZ and a Blue GT86  :)

Hey @TTR! o/

Thats awesome, i live in Emerson Valley so nice and close :) Yeah if i'm actually off the 29th of October so provided i have my car and everything is all in order i will turn up! For the Silverstone pistonheads sunday service to i need to speak to anyone first or just turn up at a specific time?

On 9/22/2017 at 6:03 PM, DanJ said:

Welcome aboard, @Steeps will be pleased to see another GT86 at the meets to help even out the BRZ vs 86's!

I've been a bit slack on organising the next meet as I'm changing jobs and buying a new house, just about to head to Orkney for a week but will be sorting something out when I'm back.

Cheers @DanJ

Yeah as much as i love the BRZ as i have had a Celica for 3 years now i feel i would be a traitor if i didn't get a GT86 ;) Thats understandable! life comes first :) Look foward to seeing you at a meet im sure!

On 9/22/2017 at 6:39 PM, Mikey P said:

Welcome along, also local to Milton Keynes area. I'm sure there will be another Milton Keynes meet soon. (If not pistonheads meet at silverstone in October would be a nice first meet for your gt86). 

Hey @Mikey P

Thanks for the welcome! I will look to come to the meet on the 29th :)

On 9/22/2017 at 6:45 PM, Cerastes said:

Welcome, and nice to see another Red car. 

That is a good price, mine had around 13500 miles also 2013. However it did have a few extras already added. TRD spoiler, Valenti lights, mud guards, reverse camera, Sharkfin antenna, full leather interior and I later found out it also had a remap which means I didn't have to pay for the EcuTek licence. 

Edit: oh and the armrest was installed. 

Thanks @Cerastes

Red initially was my last choice! But the more i look at it the more i fall for it! looking forward to getting some black alloys and black badges to really complete the red/black look im going to be going for :) Yeah very good price, most others i find online for 2013 at 14k ish tend to have 50k+ miles! so feel i am getting a deal :) 

I definitely would be interested in the TRD spolier, mud guards and Sharkfin. How much would each of those normally cost? and any good places to find them other than digging through forums? 

@Ch1L5t3R just over the road from me then haha. Would be surprised if I didn't see you about at some time!

Regarding Silverstone Sunday Service, you just need to sign up to the event on the Pistonheads website. then we generally arrange where to meet on the Sunday Service thread in the Social meets section. I'll post in the thread when the signups go live :)

Hello and welcome! 

I can get you parts, Cosworth packs etc, mainly engine & suspension, but also accessories bits. Unfortunately, we don't deal with body kits, but we are an official UK Rays Wheels dealer! 

11 hours ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Hello and welcome! 

I can get you parts, Cosworth packs etc, mainly engine & suspension, but also accessories bits. Unfortunately, we don't deal with body kits, but we are an official UK Rays Wheels dealer! 

Hey @Lucas@PartBox

Thats fantastic thank you! Do you fit the parts as well? i'll keep you in mind when i do :)