Kesler

New GR range for Toyota

Howdy all,

Perks of the new job means I have access to more information for you regarding anything Toyota or Lexus related.

The other day, Toyota's Gazoo Racing (GR) division announced a new GR range for some of the cars.

https://toyotagazooracing.com/release/2017/other/0919-01.html

With 100 of the Yaris GRMN (1.8 litre supercharged Lotus engine, ~210bhp) confirmed coming here, TMC plan to bring the GR series out of Japan so we may see some more development coming to the UK.

What do you guys think?

Looks really good I think. Big brakes and at last properly decent forged wheels on it too. Only thing I'm not struck on is the front lip kit and sideskirts. I say this only because the likelihood off knocking it off on a kerb is extremely high. 

2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Looks really good I think. Big brakes and at last properly decent forged wheels on it too. Only thing I'm not struck on is the front lip kit and sideskirts. I say this only because the likelihood off knocking it off on a kerb is extremely high. 

We had all this with the TRD version & where is that now ?? People will not pay for big brake kits ect without extra power.

I feel offended by that lower rear bumper! It looks good apart from that. Is the name going to be shortened to the GRGT86? 😂

Guest 86guns

On 21/09/2017 at 4:57 PM, Kesler said:

With 100 of the Yaris GRMN (1.8 litre supercharged Lotus engine, ~210bhp) confirmed coming here, TMC plan to bring the GR series out of Japan so we may see some more development coming to the UK.

Lotus don’t make engines. The engines in the current Elise, Exige and Evora are Toyota engines.

I'm liking the look of the rear spoiler, much cleaner with it not encroaching down on to the rear of the boot but the rear bumper is horrific. @kesler is there a timeframe on release date for parts - assuming they will be available separately at some point and not just as part of a special edition car only? Congratulations on the new job too :)

1 hour ago, Nimz said:

assuming they will be available separately at some point and not just as part of a special edition car only? Congratulations on the new job too :)

unlikely to be available separately, they never released parts from other special editions such as the 14r60

27 minutes ago, Tareim said:

unlikely to be available separately, they never released parts from other special editions such as the 14r60

That would be disappointing if so - personally I think if Toyota want people to look at GR parts as something to be coveted in the same way as Nismo / Mugen / Spoon etc. then that can't be achieved by only creating one off special editions; hardly anybody would be willing to pay the inevitable premium for the whole car. There's a fine line between the appeal of a product being rare/special and being entirely forgotten/passed over because they're unattainable. But perhaps that's not the intention of this range?

8 hours ago, 86guns said:

Lotus don’t make engines. The engines in the current Elise, Exige and Evora are Toyota engines.

That's correct - the Toyota built engine for the Lotus Elise, hence I say 'Lotus engine' instead of 'engine from Lotus' :)

Perhaps I could have said 'Toyota engines used in the Lotus lineup' but hindsight is such a wonderful thing :lol:

16 hours ago, jamie_gt86 said:

@Kesler are you going to be at the Yaris GRMN day on Monday? Will be my second time in the Yaris, proper little beast, hope the rest of the range meets up to the expectation it’s going to set!

Unfortunately I will be in the office monitoring the social media channels on Monday :( I'm not sure if Mat is going to be there to greet you and arrange your day there, but enjoy - take it to the limit! How did you find your initial impression of the Yaris GRMN

19 minutes ago, Subota Boy said:

Thanks Jamie.  Is anyone allowed to "observe"?  Was quite interested in one of these, but a fourth Toyota to look after, when I don't drive the GT enough, is a bit much.

Sorry Keith, as far as my GRMN meeting went yesterday, it's strictly invite only.

2 hours ago, Kesler said:

Unfortunately I will be in the office monitoring the social media channels on Monday :( I'm not sure if Mat is going to be there to greet you and arrange your day there, but enjoy - take it to the limit! How did you find your initial impression of the Yaris GRMN

First impressions were brilliant, such a fun little car, couldn’t get the smile off my face! Was a pre production car being used by Lotus for development (benefits of working on the project) so I’m hoping the production one hasn’t lost anything