Chappers

New Soon to be '86 / BRZ owner

Afternoon all, 

I thought I'd better pop in and say hi. I'm currently shopping for a couple of GT86s / BRZs / one of each. My fiancee recently expressed interest in an orange auto to replace her Z3 and after driving a few I've decided I'd quite like one too. I've since convinced her that a white one is much cooler (sorry orange peeps). Shame I can't convince her to get her manual license!

I've been into performance cars since I can remember really, recently I owned a Noble M12 and now have a BMW M3 CSL in the garage but my daily drive is a Ford Puma which is getting tired and old, so I'd like something a bit more fun and RWD to replace it for my daily commute and supermarket duties. I'm also missing a bit of the car community vibe, the CSL crowd are all about garages and value watching and they're just not a particularly friendly bunch, the Noble lot were fun but obviously I don't have that any more so hanging around with them just reminds me of the cool car I don't own any more.

Anyway, I'm on the lookout for a blue, manual BRZ in the short term and already have a number of mods planned (wheels, UEL manifold, maybe a little bit of lowering... turbo, rocket bunny v3, different wheels, ah b*gger I'm going to need a new "daily") and a white GT86 auto for the OH, probably April / May next year when it's the right time to sell a Z3!

Cheers!

Chappers

Hello and welcome! 

Ah.. rocket bunny.. ah.. turbo.. the dream! haha I'm interested to see how that's gonna go! I was at Alan's (founder of Blackmarket tribe/team) the other week and he's got a Turboed BRZ with a seibon carbon wing, carbon fibre bonnet, wings, doors and boot.. he wants to go V3 as well. I'd love to see more pandem kits around.. It seems like they are everywhere in the states and OZ! Our community needs to grow more! 

2 GT86/BRZ in one household? That's just greedy!

Blue BRZ for the win! (it's what I recently picked up) it's a relatively common colour for the BRZ so hopefully you won't have to wait too long to find a good example.

Welcome aboard, don't worry about not going for ginger, good decision I reckon. :P

Well there is certainly a lot of tuning options out there and we are a friendly bunch, so do feel free to check out the events and social meets section and come along. You'll find a good variety of cars, as over the years we have tried and tested a good number of mods from turbos to SC's to bodykits, suspension, exhaust manifolds both UEL and EL and all the rest inbetween. 

Whilst things have quitened down a bit on the events front as we settle into autumn there is always quite a lot going on the midlands, thinks there's a breakfast meet on the 23rd if you can make it! :)

welcome welcome. I would strongly advise you to have a look at Keith's auto car for sale ;) if thats not sold.

And your fiancee can have a supercharged forged auto blue 86;) you could get a manual white brz hahaha i know it is the other way round.

45 minutes ago, zhuonanli said:

welcome welcome. I would strongly advise you to have a look at Keith's auto car for sale ;) if thats not sold.

And your fiancee can have a supercharged forged auto blue 86;) you could get a manual white brz hahaha i know it is the other way round.

That's not the worst idea I've heard... Interesting, very interesting.

56 minutes ago, Chappers said:

That's not the worst idea I've heard... Interesting, very interesting.

ive not seen any better for value car than that one. If i have the cash i would buy it and my girlfriend can have my 86 haha.

13 hours ago, Chappers said:

Why a BRZ? Purely vanity reasons I'm afraid, I've always loved WR Blue Mica so the BRZ is the only option!

The BRZ in 'Lux' trim, which most of them seem to be, is also a nice trim level: half leathers + alcantara, heated seats, arm-rest. None of these are essential, but give a more pleasant ambience and make it more usable. Of course all of this is available on a GT86 but when you're searching AutoTrader it does simplify the task of finding!

Also the BRZ didn't have the 'Ann Summers' option of red steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake trim.

16 hours ago, McDude said:

The BRZ in 'Lux' trim, which most of them seem to be, is also a nice trim level: half leathers + alcantara, heated seats, arm-rest. None of these are essential, but give a more pleasant ambience and make it more usable. Of course all of this is available on a GT86 but when you're searching AutoTrader it does simplify the task of finding!

Also the BRZ didn't have the 'Ann Summers' option of red steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake trim.

Fortunately not many spec the red 'boudoir' option! But I would say over 50% of GT86's have the leather/alcantara heated seats option. The arm rest is around £100, so not hard to do if you want it. There are a lot more GT86's around of course and you do get the benefit of a nicer dash

8 hours ago, Lauren said:

Fortunately not many spec the red 'boudoir' option! But I would say over 50% of GT86's have the leather/alcantara heated seats option. The arm rest is around £100, so not hard to do if you want it. There are a lot more GT86's around of course and you do get the benefit of a nicer dash

Good point, well made! I'm sure I heard there were 7 GT86s made for every 1 BRZ but on AutoTrader it must be more like 20:1. Is the Toyota dash different/nicer? The Toyota head unit is better than the standard Subaru one, that's for sure!

I am bi-Subota in that I could have had either, just the right car for me at the right time was a BRZ.

5 hours ago, McDude said:

Good point, well made! I'm sure I heard there were 7 GT86s made for every 1 BRZ but on AutoTrader it must be more like 20:1. Is the Toyota dash different/nicer? The Toyota head unit is better than the standard Subaru one, that's for sure!

I am bi-Subota in that I could have had either, just the right car for me at the right time was a BRZ.

It's more like 10:1. You have to remember the difference in size between Toyota and Subaru. Yes, much nicer clocks for the GT and also that lovely frameless wing mirror and slightly better looking passenger fascia panel 

My GT86 dash:

35191858464_7542a12f35_c.jpg100K miles on the odometer GT86 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

On 9/20/2017 at 9:57 PM, Chappers said:

Why a BRZ? Purely vanity reasons I'm afraid, I've always loved WR Blue Mica so the BRZ is the only option!

Exactly why I went down the BRZ route, plus I got a bargain as an ex demonstrator, hope you manage to find what you want.