Nemesis

Revised modification ideas

Having just got the car & it looks awesome I’ve decided to not play around with the car until I’ve got used to it. What I didn’t realise is that I have sat nav included which although I know it isn’t very good it was a bonus to find out it was fitted. So far I’ve spent 15 minutes driving the car to drop off the guy who delivered it at the local train station as have to go to work soon but have tomorrow & Friday off to start getting used to it

Some things I think are worth getting are a cheap set of floor mats so I won’t mess up the car over the winter which fit properly & looking on ebay I can tell a lot of them advertised that will fit the car but I can see from the photos they don’t so looking for advice please. I also want a decent back seat cover for when the dogs come with me in the car & I think I will also get a dog guard to stop them trying to get into the front

I think it would be wise to get a front & back car cam & looking through numerous youtube videos the best choice would be the Thinkware F770 2CH front & rear.

One think I need help on is what spoiler do I get, I might go for the TRD one that fits the 2017 86 but are there other aftermarket spoilers which would look good? Tints are a must as well as a visor strip on the front window, does anyone know a good place to get them done around Leeds/Wakefield area? As I will be tinting the rear windows 95% I will need a reversing camera & was thinking of the pumpkin universal licence plate holder camera kit as it has good reviews & I don’t want to drill holes in the car.

I am thinking of getting a HUD as I think they are cool & not expensive but again which to get? Speaker change will also be on the to do list & I will get a Focal IS165TOY kit for the front but what’s the best for the back & I would like to put my sub & amp in there so could do with advice on wiring it up as in the celica it connects to a phono output from the head unit

I am tempted to spray the calipers electric blue

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRAY-CAN-ELECTRIC-BLUE-HEAT-PROOF-PAINT-BRAKE-CALIPER-ENGINE-HOT-EXHAUST-STEEL/302434683648?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 

But might go for carbon grey

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Foliatec-High-Temperature-Brake-Caliper-Carbon-Grey-Paint-Kit-/272513550789?epid=3003161939&hash=item3f7312c9c5:g:r5MAAOSwMmBV6DZr 

again what are your thoughts?

Wow that's a lot to digest in one post!

Just for my 2 cents I only bothered with a front-facing camera, rear didn't seem worth it. Also 95% tint is what I have and given the choice I'd stick with a 75%, the rear visibility is crap enough 95% tiny means you see literally sweet fuck all out of the back. Bit disconcerting when plod is lurking!

Seriously, my thoughts are what you wrote at the start. With the exception of the rear seat covers/dog guard, do nothing until you have driven the car and got to know it for a few months.

From the list above, you are already planning a lot of mods, perhaps take a breath and sit down and work out the cost of them all, then prioritise. 

For instance, is it more important that you have a good sound system over cosmetic mods?

How good will a rear facing dash cam be through a 95% tinted window?

HU unit, yes you can buy them cheaply, you normally get what you pay for. Again, get used to the car first with instrumentation where you have always looked before adding in another focal point.

Doesn't your car already have the floor mats?

As for dashcams etc; if you are with Adrian Flux they give a discount on there approved list although some of those are rubbish camera's, but it's nice to know which ones will lower your insurance. 

My back windows are tinted too, not sure what the % is but in the dark it is hard to see out the rear window when reversing etc; but I have a reverse camera so all good. 

Well I’ve had a few days to get used to the car now & I understand what you say, there are a couple of things I would like to change or add to the car, I suppose I just got a bit over enthusiastic wanting to do things straight away

I decided to get a Viofo A119 V2 front dash cam as it has all the features I actually need including gps which I wanted with a dashcam.  I won’t bother with tints at the moment but they are on the to do list same as the reversing camera & I might as well wait until next year for body kit as there isn’t much available yet for the new version of the 86 & calipers can wait until next year when the weathers better

I do want to make music sound better as stock lacks base & I do love base so I got a speaker to rca converter so I can put my old sub & amp in the boot & will have to find a way to get a power cable from the battery into the boot. Changing the stock speakers can also wait until next year. I find the touch & go reasonably good & I will keep that but won’t know how good it is until I connect up my sub

Reversing camera, do I need one? Probably yes as it does make reversing easier when I have the tints done in the future but not at the moment.

As for my thoughts on the car itself, I do love it & it’s the best car I have ever driven but there are a couple of things I don’t like, I tend to listen to music from usb & have a small usb stick but when it’s in the socket I can’t close the cover, it would have been better if the socket was recessed more but that’s something & nothing. I don’t like the length of the gear leaver as I had gotten used to a short shifter in my celica & I find it too long but I expect I will get used to it. I would have preferred if the door mirrors had the option to automatically fold when I turn off the ignition but my celica didn’t have the option so I can put up with pushing a button.

As for everything else I think Toyota  have made a bloody good car with just enough gadgets that drivers actually need, I’ve read reviews where people say its basic inside but I disagree as just right

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

I tend to listen to music from usb & have a small usb stick but when it’s in the socket I can’t close the cover, it would have been better if the socket was recessed more but that’s something & nothing.

You can get a loom part from Japan Japan which will auto close the mirrors on locking - about 80 quid and about 30 mins to fit ;)

You should have had front and rear gt86 mats as standard. When I picked mine up the fronts were missing and I made them give me the set out of their demo car unless they were going to send me a set in the post!

I can't live without the reverse camera... Sometimes I just drive to work in reverse just so I can watch it on screen, like a computer game but you don't get points for running people over. 

I agree with it not being that basic inside, yes some of the materials are plasticy but that is with most Japanese sports car and keeps the cost down. As long as it's comfortable, does everything I need then it's all I need. Besides my previous cars were Japanese hatchbacks so to me this is an upgrade on the interior too. 

5 hours ago, NJay said:

Nemesis. It should have come with floor mats as standard as mine did. As to the other mods I agree with others and get used to the car as it is 🙂

It came with proper mats but I am after something to go on top so I dont get them covered in muck and I found that wearing work boots damages them over time

Both parking sensors & reversing cams help parking in cars with limited rear visibility like ours. But i prefer so much to see exactly how much space left then listening change of beep frequency. So if adding one or another, my choice would certainly be for camera.

For caliper painting, Ade said it all. If you'll take it to the track (and i advise to, that's load of fun), at high temps caliper paint won't hold long. Original high-temp paint of performance brake kits may held better, but still will discolor by time. So i'd prefer to not care about looks/color of calipers, it's brake performance, that counts :)

For bad weather floor mats i chose weathertech's, and fronts only, as there is rarely someone sitting in back.

Nice thing would be addition of space saver wheel instead of stock tire repair kit.

11 hours ago, Nemesis said:

It came with proper mats but I am after something to go on top so I dont get them covered in muck and I found that wearing work boots damages them over time

My drivers side mat has two heel holes in it from normal shoes; they are not very hard wearing.

12 hours ago, Church said:

For bad weather floor mats i chose weathertech's, and fronts only, as there is rarely someone sitting in back.

Nice thing would be addition of space saver wheel instead of stock tire repair kit.

I looked on the weathertech website I it says they only do rears at the moment doesn't matter what year I put in either http://www.weathertecheurope.com/uk/toyota/2017/gt86/floorliner-digitalfit/

My car came with the space saver so one less thing to buy

Nemesis: I'm 99% sure that fronts from earlier cars should fit.. At least first time hearing that there were any but cosmetic interrior changes (eg. one piece dash panel, maybe T&G2 for MY2017 .. lcdgauges on instrument panel .. what else?) As for hard wearing .. those weathertechs are more of like some hard plastic, not rubber. I hope that will mean that they will last longer under wear of heels due pedalwork. So far no own experience comment on that as i've been using it for just 1.5 year. But i've been through rubber floorliners in 2-3 years, hence it matters to me.

Weather Tech are available for the front for LHD cars (same fitment as Scion FR-S), but only rear mats for RHD. :(

I'm currently using some 5mm rubber which is stuck to my mats with velcro as replaceable heel pads. I went through 3 mm rubber in less than half a year. If this doesn't work well I'll have to put in a metal backplate or something!

Yes, there is such option too. IIRC there was some product (don't know the right name) in way of aluminium plate that could be attached to floormat.

Heel guard? Antiskid plate? Something like this. No clue how it feels using one though.

Still, for winter-autumn rain-snow-dirt i'd get floor mats with rised sides, not just mat type, to keep dirt & thawned snow water in it, not to rest of interrior.

I had one of those skid plates, I did really like it, as it's not the right size (tend to fall off the edges), and it gives and jiggles the other foot when you rest your heel on it. Separate pads are better for me, and rubber pads are better than metal for comfort.

If you will see dirt/mud/snow slush, i see one downside to such "flat" design. - They are not recessed, have not risen side walls, like some bin, to keep dirt in. Dust will brush off & excess water will flow off over sides.