Blameshift

Is it true that uel manifolds encourage ringland fail?

50 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

No idea what that is, sounds like something sexual. 

Bit worrying as I have UEL. 

All I know about ringlands are that it is 3 ringlands on each piston and they've proven to be a weak spot on the Subaru engines

Ringlands refer to the area where the piston rings sit on the pistons. Any damage here means the piston rings won't seal and well, it's terminal. I've not heard of this on the GT86. 

Guess you're talking about this: 

4 hours ago, Lauren said:

Ringlands refer to the area where the piston rings sit on the pistons. Any damage here means the piston rings won't seal and well, it's terminal. I've not heard of this on the GT86. 

Guess you're talking about this: 

But you have not heard that UEL headers have had any ringland failures on the GT86 engine at all?

5 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Absolutely true, even as we speak UEL equiped motors are failing right across the land and not just here in England but in Staffordshire too. The end is neigh, save yourselves... EL for the win 😘

I haven't watched all that video yet but not sure why it would affect UEL and not EL?

Just now, Cerastes said:

I haven't watched all that video yet but not sure why it would affect UEL and not EL?

Im not sure why but it has something to do with the exhaust gas being trapped or something. 

31 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

An UEL manifold will make 2 cylinders run hotter than the other 2 if I remember correctly

1 hour ago, Cerastes said:

I was only jesting.

The vid points towards the offset con rods, unable to cope with a lot of boost, bend. This in turn causes the piston skirt to hit the conrod and break. I suspect that the type of manifold wouldnt make a scrap of difference. Dont quote me on that though.

2 hours ago, Minion said:

An UEL manifold will make 2 cylinders run hotter than the other 2 if I remember correctly

I don't think that would matter unless you are running it non stop on a track. For me that drives it 2-3 miles to work, and then 2-3 miles back; the occasional long drive to a car show isn't going to affect it, surely. 

11 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Absolutely true, even as we speak UEL equiped motors are failing right across the land and not just here in England but in Staffordshire too. The end is neigh, save yourselves... EL for the win 😘

Not just here in England but in Staffordshire too!

Ooo the bloody cheek!, and by the way those Derbyshire oatcakes are "pants" nowhere near as good as the authentic North Staffs oatcakes 😜

4 hours ago, Minion said:

This is one of those statements that's been knocking around for years. We are always told it but I've never seen the evidence.

9 minutes ago, Varelco said:

This is one of those statements that's been knocking around for years. We are always told it but I've never seen the evidence.

aka I should be safe buying an UEL manifold? :D

I would say that there would be uneven wear on the pistons/valves or something as the back pressures will be different.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Just now, sam534 said:

I would say that there would be uneven wear on the pistons/valves or something as the back pressures will be different.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Would this be noticable and/or could this harm the engine in the long run? 

1 minute ago, Cerastes said:

I would have thought so, Impreza's had UEL boxer engines for years?? and were incredibly reliable as far as I know; they were used in rallying etc? Can't be that bad can it?

That is true and I wonder what the UEL manifold myth as it now shall be called originate from.

1 minute ago, maurice said:

From a previous long-term owner of an Impreza, their engines were nowhere near as reliable as the general public impression. Not bad, but they ain't no Honda.

But do you know if having an EL or UEL header would affect the length in any way?