Blameshift

Is it true that uel manifolds encourage ringland fail?

Just now, maurice said:

It sounds unlikely, they were UEL manifold for years. It's clearly a non issue for a GT86 as this is the first we've ever heard of it :)

Sounds good. It looks like UEL is the way to go. SUBARU RUMBLE!

15 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Yay join the rumble in the jungle gang. 

I still get compliments from people at work "your car sounds nice". 

I have to ask then...since UEL add a bit more mid-torque and remove a bit of the high end torque how do you feel that? The mid is very appreciated on the gt86/brz as I have figured out but is there a loss of high end that you can actually feel? do you even feel the mid torque boost? driving-wise do you feel a change after having installed UEL headers compared to the standard ones?

Just now, Cerastes said:

I can't say I have noticed, I rarely get it in high revs anyway; which is one of the reasons I went for UEL; better suited for my driving and daily. 

But Did you Feel an increase in mid range power or is it only on paper?

Difficult question to answer, I didn't really notice the so called torque dip before as this car is much more powerful than my previous cars; so it always felt fast to me. I didn't really look at the rev counter when accelerating to see the "torque dip". 

However lately now I have gotten a little more comfortable and experimenting a little more; I have noticed when accelerating at a low rev it will keep on accelerating at a steady pace; but I assume that is normal anyway? or is that because there is no torque dip now? I don't know. Sorry. 

In my opinion I didn't notice the difference but I didn't have the car long before I changed it, and I don't do a lot of driving with it so I hadn't gotten use to it. I don't do any motorway speeds so I was always in 4th or 5th gear doing 30-40mph. 

6 hours ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

Not just here in England but in Staffordshire too!

Ooo the bloody cheek!, and by the way those Derbyshire oatcakes are "pants" nowhere near as good as the authentic North Staffs oatcakes 😜

I wondered if you would make an appearance 😋 Now then, about these oatcakes, as all of England and Kent knows the best come direct from my kitchen and I have the waist line to prove it. Staffordshire oatcakes indeed... counterfiets 🌯🌯🌯

12 hours ago, Blameshift said:

I have to ask then...since UEL add a bit more mid-torque and remove a bit of the high end torque how do you feel that? The mid is very appreciated on the gt86/brz as I have figured out but is there a loss of high end that you can actually feel? do you even feel the mid torque boost? driving-wise do you feel a change after having installed UEL headers compared to the standard ones?

I can feel the lack of torque dip, it's quite pronounced (mine is remapped on top of the UEL which helps). Top end I didn't really notice, but then it's up on stock anyway thanks to the remap, so that's not surprising.

15 minutes ago, Cerastes said: Yay join the rumble in the jungle gang. 

I still get compliments from people at work "your car sounds nice". 

It's losing the 1st cat and the remap that gets rid of the torque dip - there are plenty of dyno charts on here of both EL and UEL and they're not vastly different.

So I doubt you'd tell the difference between EL and UEL on the road. But the difference between a stock car and a remapped primary cat-less car is night and day. Has the mid range poke that should have been there in the first place so you don't have to redline it every time to keep the engine in the power band when going up through the gears.

I went for UEL but purely for sentimental reasons - I prefer the engine note. So don't agonise over it - either will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

It's losing the 1st cat and the remap that gets rid of the torque dip - there are plenty of dyno charts on here of both EL and UEL and they're not vastly different.

So I doubt you'd tell the difference between EL and UEL on the road. But the difference between a stock car and a remapped primary cat-less car is night and day. Has the mid range poke that should have been there in the first place so you don't have to redline it every time to keep the engine in the power band when going up through the gears.

I went for UEL but purely for sentimental reasons - I prefer the engine note. So don't agonise over it - either will be great.

But I wanna keep my car 100% road legal and therefore removing the 1st cat is not gonna happen :( am I stuck with the torque dip then?

8 minutes ago, Blameshift said:

But I wanna keep my car 100% road legal and therefore removing the 1st cat is not gonna happen :( am I stuck with the torque dip then?

It will still be road legal with the manifold (first) cat removed

Just now, Deacon said: It will still be road legal with the manifold (first) cat removed

Aren't the emissions gonna change?

Still passes MOT with the secondary cat only. Plenty have done this...

Just now, Deacon said: It will still be road legal with the manifold (first) cat removed

Aren't the emissions gonna change?

Still passes MOT with the secondary cat only. Plenty have done this...

Scandinavians are really strict when it comes to emissions, that's why I told him he might struggle without a cat.. He should really look for people with twins in Sweden to ask these legal questions 

On 15/09/2017 at 8:14 PM, Blameshift said:

You could always......move?

Blameshift: will catted headers also be non-legal by your MOT rules? (eg. FT86SF or JDL?) Does check involves scrupulous visual check for possible aftermarket parts or just OBD reader for codes & exhaust gases check? There is also option like some here do, pile of aftermarket parts get switched back for MOT check and after passing it back to aftermarket. Not choice for me, as I wouldn't like to do two part switches per year, if nothing else, due need to pay extra for shop's work, due possibly weakening connections/threads and maybe need to buy new gaskets/O2 sensors, if they get damaged during switch, if eg. changing header 6 times per 3 years. I'd consider it if MOT checks had been once per two years though.

P.S. Does torque dip really bother you that much? When everybody was posting about it .. yeah, i checked/saw it, but in real daily driving i usually drive & gearshift at low rpms below dip, at track, or at overtakes when DD, i downshift, and rpms are always above torque dip, 4K-redline. So in reality i don't care about it anymore.