Blameshift

[Europe] Good exhaust note for less than 700€? Or something else?

So I recently got myself a GT86 2012 and I am looking to get a decent sound out of this thing without spending a fortune on it. 700€ maximum! I've been recommended "invidia n1" once but I could only find it for 1,100€+. What should I do/get in order to achieve a decent sound with this amount of money. 

Is there some other modification I should prioritize ahead of this? 

The car I have is completely stock and has not been abused by its last owner. 

gt123123.png

Cobra would be recommended by a few on here. If you plan on manifold changes down the line get the "resonated" version of whatever you buy. If you're only ever going to change the catback, non-res is fine.

@Blameshift Cobra would be probably the best solution for you. I can get you a cat-back for roughly €640.. We ship worldwide, but we also have a branch in Italy, Netherlands and Germany. Message me if you're interested. 

https://www.part-box.com/ty10-cobra-sport-toyota-gt86-cat-back-sports-exhaust?search=Cobra gt86&description=true

43 minutes ago, Paul said:

Cobra would be recommended by a few on here. If you plan on manifold changes down the line get the "resonated" version of whatever you buy. If you're only ever going to change the catback, non-res is fine.

Changing the manifold is gonna be quite costly isnt it? Is there any reason to do it except that I get a slightly better sound and +2 hp?

1 minute ago, knightryder said:

https://www.haywardandscott.com/subaru/subaru-brz/subaru-brz-cat-back-system.html

That over the Cobra if you want something that sounds good.

There was not a lot of information on that website. How does that one differ from the one linked by Lucas@PartBox

Link: https://www.part-box.com/ty10-cobra-sport-toyota-gt86-cat-back-sports-exhaust?search=Cobra gt86&description=true

H&S are a well known exhaust fabricator, look on their website for what else they do. It also sounds much better IMO. Cobra is just deep and bassy where as the H&S has a great tone to it. The only exhaust that I think sounds better is the Cosworth.

Changing the manifold and losing the primary cat is the best mod you can do in NA form. It gains (with the right manifold) 40lb/ft in the midrange and that was in my car which had already had a previous remap, so gains would be even more compared to a stock car. If you buy a non-resonated exhaust then you may want to  change it for a resonated one if you fit a manifold in the future. I made this mistake and ended up getting a resonated exhaust along with the manifold. 

I'm not a fan of the Cobra, but plenty seem to like it, plus it's cheap. The only thing I would say is that Cobra don't seem to be that consistent on how loud their exhausts tend to be. So you could get a reasonably quiet one or a louder one. 

Avoid Milltek, they crack. I've had four of them. Never again. 

If you think you aren't going to bother changing the manifold in the future, then the Tuning Developments non-resonated exhaust is in your price range (I think) and is a very high quality exhaust as it's made by JP Exhausts (look them up). It'll be better quality than pretty much anything else you can find out there. Think about a decat pipe too, it just increases the volume and gains you a little more power. 

20 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Changing the manifold and losing the primary cat is the best mod you can do in NA form. It gains (with the right manifold) 40lb/ft in the midrange and that was in my car which had already had a previous remap, so gains would be even more compared to a stock car. If you buy a non-resonated exhaust then you may want to  change it for a resonated one if you fit a manifold in the future. I made this mistake and ended up getting a resonated exhaust along with the manifold. 

I'm not a fan of the Cobra, but plenty seem to like it, plus it's cheap. The only thing I would say is that Cobra don't seem to be that consistent on how loud their exhausts tend to be. So you could get a reasonably quiet one or a louder one. 

Avoid Milltek, they crack. I've had four of them. Never again. 

If you think you aren't going to bother changing the manifold in the future, then the Tuning Developments non-resonated exhaust is in your price range (I think) and is a very high quality exhaust as it's made by JP Exhausts (look them up). It'll be better quality than pretty much anything else you can find out there. Think about a decat pipe too, it just increases the volume and gains you a little more power. 

I will most likely NOT be changing the manifold due to the high cost and what I consider is a low value output from it but thank you and I will check out JP exhausts a bit more!

Changing manifold will net you 10-20bhp. Most cost-effective performance mod. Packages from about £1100 and most people will tell you it's well worth it. Transforms the car.

22 minutes ago, Paul said:

Changing manifold will net you 10-20bhp. Most cost-effective performance mod. Packages from about £1100 and most people will tell you it's well worth it. Transforms the car.

It is quite costly though but I will keep it in mind.

As others have said, a manifold is worth while even if it does cost a lot. If you don't have the money, go for a resonated catback and then save up for a manifold later; otherwise it will be really loud without a resonated catback. You will likely need to remap with ecutek after the manifold which again costs a lot; but it also brings benefits. 

Have you tried looking on ebay for your country? Not sure where you are but might be worth a try? I was able to get the avo catback for less than £300. 

1 minute ago, Cerastes said:

As others have said, a manifold is worth while even if it does cost a lot. If you don't have the money, go for a resonated catback and then save up for a manifold later; otherwise it will be really loud without a resonated catback. You will likely need to remap with ecutek after the manifold which again costs a lot; but it also brings benefits. 

Have you tried looking on ebay for your country? Not sure where you are but might be worth a try? I was able to get the avo catback for less than £300. 

Manifolds are about 1000€, right?

Exhaust goes for 700€ most likely, I've found some good exhausts online for that money. But how much is the remap? 

7 minutes ago, Blameshift said:

Manifolds are about 1000€, right?

Exhaust goes for 700€ most likely, I've found some good exhausts online for that money. But how much is the remap? 

Where your money is best spent depends on what your priorities are - noise (catback) or power (manifold and map)

Just now, Deacon said:

Where your money is best spent depends on what your priorities are - noise (catback) or power (manifold and map)

I'd like power but I doubt I've got the money to go power and that's why I am thinking about going noise instead. What would you prefer I do? Save money and get a manifold or go for noise and enjoy the "stock" car?

I think they range from £800-£1500; I believe the £ is quite similar to  these days so roughly about the same. Map's would cost about  500/600 as you have to purchase a license first. 

Could always keep an eye on 2nd hand market. 

3 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

I think they range from £800-£1500; I believe the £ is quite similar to  these days so roughly about the same. Map's would cost about  500/600 as you have to purchase a license first. 

Could always keep an eye on 2nd hand market. 

This is something to think about. But you'd prefer that I go for a resonated exhaust and save up some money for a manifold? How is the installation of the manifold on this car? Easy, difficult, time consuming... can I do it myself?

Depends on your skills and available tools/facilities. Also wasn't range of cheapest exhaust headers (manifolds) from ~£400? One still should add tune to fully use freer flowing and better scavenging of new catless manifold.

It's up to you :), but you have options; just think about it as it can cost more if you rush into something. It's also personal taste, you might like a really loud exhaust? or you might like something that is discreet at low revs and louder at higher revs. 

As far as I know, the cheapest manifold would be tomei... oh no it's not it would be the cobra manifold which is about £600

20 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

It's up to you :), but you have options; just think about it as it can cost more if you rush into something. It's also personal taste, you might like a really loud exhaust? or you might like something that is discreet at low revs and louder at higher revs. 

As far as I know, the cheapest manifold would be tomei... oh no it's not it would be the cobra manifold which is about £600

Id like a quiet car when at the lower revs and I want everyone to turn their heads at high revs! Is There cobra manifold for 600€~ any good?

19 minutes ago, jevvy said:

wts tomei type 80 700 euro shipped  : )

That only a single shaped exhaust, right? Not a Y formation exhaust like it is "supposed" to be on the Brz/gt86 models?

Just now, Blameshift said:

That only a single shaped exhaust, right? Not a Y formation exhaust like it is "supposed" to be on the Brz/gt86 models?

thats correct but it comes with a plate to cover the other hole

5 minutes ago, jevvy said:

thats correct but it comes with a plate to cover the other hole

I did like the sound but I think I want the Y-formation one rather. I really like the dual exhaust look!

Edit: Thank you very much for the offer though! :D