VAD17

1st track day

On 24/08/2017 at 5:28 PM, Mike said:

If you're unsure of being on track with others, I'd recommend novice days that MSV do. They'll be in 20min sessions and everyone will go out for the 20 minutes, so hang back at the start and you'll end up with the track to yourself effectively.

Last (and only) novice day I went to was a total mess. I nearly missed the sighting laps due to enormous queues to sign on, and I had two out of four sessions red flagged after some goons wiped out. I was generally nervous by the amount of idiocy on display.

4 hours ago, VAD17 said:

Thanks guys

Have not considered noise limit. I will measure it after TD NA tune and then can decide.

Its pretty close to me and (at least on videos) looks like a good circuit.

I will be going to Bedford in Feb and Brands in March. Cant wait...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep good circuit but if you're not running a stock exhaust you will probably have issues with the incredibly low noise limit.

If you just go for the TD manifold you'll be alright. 
I have an FA20club manifold which is a very similar design, Cobra overpipe and the rest of the exhaust is oem. This gives me readings between 75-78db when tested.
Cool, thanks. Will measure noise level when I get the car back. Fingers crossed

Thinking about doing Silverstone again.

Opentrack.co.uk has GP track day on March 18th (£275).

I expect it would be a little crowded as is relatively good price and on Sunday, but it was a lot of fun in November and very interesting to be on track with a number of very expensive and a lot more powerful cars.

I also have a family friend who is very keen to do few laps at Silly, so will try to get him 1 or 2 sessions with instructor and then ask kind fellow (more experienced) drivers if he can tag along for a few laps.

Anyone would like to join?

I am thinking if with few people it may be worth getting an instructor for the full day and and get 3-4 sessions each.

On 12/20/2017 at 1:51 PM, maurice said:

If you just go for the TD manifold you'll be alright. 

I have an FA20club manifold which is a very similar design, Cobra overpipe and the rest of the exhaust is oem. This gives me readings between 75-78db when tested.

is that driveby? my completely standard 86 gave 82db static... 

No static. It doesn't surprise me you've had a different reading. It depends what rpm they tell you to hold it at (differs around 1000rpm in my experience), how good you are at holding the revs steady, weather on the day, could go on all day! Essentially I've been tested at least 3 times with this setup and 78 is the most I've had!

Hello again, can I ask for more advice on tracks suitable for a relative novice.

Whats you experience with Rockingham?

Bookatrack has a Sunday track day in August when my entire family is out of the country - perfect for me to enjoy few track days in a single week.

But I watched Scott on Driver61 and the concrete wall looks a little less appealing than grasslands of Bedford or astroturf of Silverstone.

1 hour ago, VAD17 said:

Hello again, can I ask for more advice on tracks suitable for a relative novice.

Bookatrack has a Sunday track day in August when my entire family is out of the country - perfect for me to enjoy few track days in a single weekemoji16.png.

But I watched Scott on Driver61 and the concrete wall looks a little less appealing than grasslands of Bedford or astroturf of Silverstone.

Rockingham was the first track I ever drove on in anger. It's good but the wall is a bit close! However, it's like an ice rink if it's wet so I wouldn't fancy it if I wasn't pretty much certain of a dry day. 

4 hours ago, VAD17 said:

Bookatrack has a Sunday track day in August when my entire family is out of the country - perfect for me to enjoy few track days in a single weekemoji16.png.

Rockingham is a pretty easy, though not an interesting circuit. I used to work for Bookatrack some 15 years ago, you're in good hands as far as track day organisers go there. You don't have to get anywhere near the wall there either unless you want to, so I would say that is a non-issue. You'd only come close to it on the exit of one corner anyway. It's fine even if it's wet there is loads of run off in most places. As a circuit I don't rate it, but it's fine as a first time out to get some experience. 

Thank you for the feedback

May take a gamble with the weather as its summertime. Its a bit more expensive than Brands Indy, Bedford, Thruxton or Castle Combe, but can try once and see how I like it.

I find there are quite a few tracks I want to try and decided I can probably manage up to 2.5 hrs drive each way , although leaving home at 5 or 5:30 am means I manage to miss most of early morning traffic on M25, so Bedford and Silverstone were both just over 1 1/2 hrs which is not too bad.

Just need to pick few dates with others going, would be keen to see other gt86 on track and ask for a few hot laps to get some tips🖒.

I would say don't be put off by a wet day. It can and often happens. You'll learn more in the wet, use less brakes, less tyres and less fuel and you will develop your car control more. See it as a bonus! 

When you're ready, the best tracks are, Cadwell, Donington and Oulton. :)

I will definitely be at Oulton or Donny in May as I have to take the MiL out for some rides. Will post up when I know. 

It's easy to get a cheap hotel room in the vicinity of Donington (cost me 18 quid last time for a Travelodge type place), due to it being next to East Midlands airport. Which is quite handy if you're travelling from the South. Have a relaxed drive up the night before, get up almost-normal time and have breakfast at the circuit. 

Also PS4's (which I think you have?) are really good in the wet. 

It's easy to get a cheap hotel room in the vicinity of Donington (cost me 18 quid last time for a Travelodge type place), due to it being next to East Midlands airport. Which is quite handy if you're travelling from the South. Have a relaxed drive up the night before, get up almost-normal time and have breakfast at the circuit. 
Also PS4's (which I think you have?) are really good in the wet. 
Yes, MPS4 - although ended up going through the grass on a rainy day in Feb at Bedford - good run off though (to be fair others were pulled out of gravel pit).

There are quite a few tracks I want to try this year and both Donington and Snetterton are at the top of my list. Both would probably require on overnight stay but I recon i can leave in the evening (or after work) get some sleep and then drive back after 5pm. Definitely will be looking for options in August, if lucky may be April or May as well.

[mention=2630]VAD17[/mention] how did you sort an instructor, was it prebooked or just find one on the day?
I've only had a quick look but only found full day sessions like this, which is far too intense for my brain to handle, i'd much prefer an hour or two to let it sink in haha
http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calendar/2018/mar/23-cp-n/

Hi Kas,

Last time at Bedford i just booked normal track day and 2 instructor sessions (when you go into booking site gives you options to prebook extra driver, tuition, helmet). And then on the day we got an extra session for a friend so he got 2 as well.

I found 2 sessions work well for me: 1st I took it easy by myself to remind of circuit, then with instructor, then again myself, and then another session with instructor in the afternoon. It was £25 per session which I find a very reasonable value (particularly for the risk these guys have with novice drivers on track).

If possible try to get same instructor, at least he/ she may be a bit more familiar and I found second session much more useful as we went for later braking and different lines on some corners.

I think it would be good to have a familiar instructor to use regularly (even if its just 1-2 sessions) to get some honest feedback and see what works an does not.

But also for say 3 people (or possibly 2) getting instructor for whole day to share would be quite useful i think.

Want to hit my first track day this year as well. Donny is 10 mins drive from my house so I'm keen on going there. Let me know!

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, sam534 said:

Want to hit my first track day this year as well. Donny is 10 mins drive from my house so I'm keen on going there. Let me know!

10mins - lucky you. You can do an evening session or two:)

I am waiting for MSV to release track days for 2nd half of 2018. May do Wednesday, August 29th with Javelin if don't manage to find suitable day in April or May.

10mins - lucky you. You can do an evening session or two
I am waiting for MSV to release track days for 2nd half of 2018. May do Wednesday, August 29th with Javelin if don't manage to find suitable day in April or May.
Sounds good to me, Im not feeling too lucrative at the moment so later in the year is best for me!

Thanks for the tips [mention=2630]VAD17[/mention] , I like how you planned it out!
[mention=2794]sam534[/mention] i never even thought about donninngton. I’ve got family in Nottingham so won’t need a hotel, think I’ll look into that
Down the road then! It's supposed to be a great track, and videos I've seen online alot of run off.

11 hours ago, sam534 said:

Down the road then! It's supposed to be a great track, and videos I've seen online alot of run off.

Donington is an excellent track, it's the best track in the country I've driven (though I've not driven Oulton). The Craner Curves are something else.

There's decent run off on many corners, but it is not a track you can just fly off with nothing to hit in all cases. Also don't underestimate how far the car will go on grass at speed.