zhuonanli

Tires Size for 18X9 ET35?

Looking to swap out my tires to the PS4s. As rear tires are wearing out.

However when I bought my car, the wheels were staggered, 18X8 front and 18X9 rear. running 225/40/18 and 255/35/18.

I do feel my car tends to understeer and 255 feels very wide for my car's power, (Tuned NA)

My options are

1Change tire size on the rears. I know people run 235/40s on 9.5 wheels. but what will 225/40 looks like on 9 inch wheels?

2.Swapping all wheels to a squared set up (but short of fund at the moment and can not be bothered to sell the current wheels)

@zhuonanli

I think that the best thing to do is having 225 on all four corners to keep it alive, especially with stock power, but you have to know what you use it for, if you track a lot, you might want a bit more grip? 

225 on 9j won't be that bad. https://tyrestretch.com/9.0-225-40-R18/9.0-225-40-R18-Zeetex-3/

6 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

@zhuonanli

I think that the best thing to do is having 225 on all four corners to keep it alive, especially with stock power, but you have to know what you use it for, if you track a lot, you might want a bit more grip? 

225 on 9j won't be that bad. https://tyrestretch.com/9.0-225-40-R18/9.0-225-40-R18-Zeetex-3/

Thats what im intending to do, but some picstures people provided look soooooooo stretched though,

for example this 

https://tyrestretch.com/9.0-225-40-R18/9.0-225-40-R18-Falken-452-2/

1 minute ago, zhuonanli said:

Thats what im intending to do, but some picstures people provided look soooooooo stretched though,

for example this 

https://tyrestretch.com/9.0-225-40-R18/9.0-225-40-R18-Falken-452-2/

That's alright, it's just a matter of you liking the way it looks to be fair.. If it wasn't for the suspension I went for, i'd be on 9,5s with 225s 

Long time ago when tire choice and performance was rather limited, tire stretching was cheap-man-hack to stiffen tire sidewalls/eliminate cheap street tire sidewall flex for performance use. These days when one can choose tire of his liking with needed grip/handling without resorting to such hacks, here are no more practical reasons to do so. I guess people still doing something like hella-stretch do so for reason as it may look cool in eyes of some limited niche community .. but just as with hella-camber crowd personally i would never care of opinion of that niche weirdos that may consider as cool and follow their taste to make car worse and less safe. Eg. it's not that hard for overstretched tire to dislodge from the rim in addition to MOT failure depending on local regulations and possible problems with insurance. There might be also more edge wear. I guess nothing wrong with slight stretch, but 225 on 9" (with 235 minimum, ideal 245-255 and maximum 265) seems going overboard with cons outweighting pros.

Hella-stretch won't make one famous drifter of 30 years ago. So won't hella-camber. Imho it's not "cool", it's "stupid".

Just check the tyre size to rim width manufacturer recommendations. I ran a 235/40/18 PS4 on a 9.5" wheel on track and road, it was fine. Little bit more stretch than I would've liked, but I thought it looked cool after a while tbh. 

IMG_20170603_191822.jpg

1 hour ago, Church said:

rob275: but on which wheel width? As for tire sizing choice, i guess - for a bit more playfulness & a bit better acceleration?

9" Wheels, I wouldn't have joined the conversation otherwise :) Yes you are correct, 235 was a little too docile for me and I was far quicker using 225's. That said, they were both entirely different tyres to take that with a pinch of salt. I felt they worked betterand overall it was noticable. It's very much a preference thing though.