Nimz

Grey GT86 by Nimz

Hello all,

My name is Rich and I'm a Graphic Designer, currently living just outside Leeds after 9 years in London. I've had my 86 for a few months now and have been posting a bit but never properly introduced myself or the car but figured I would just start a build thread instead. Always been a Toyota fan, used to have a gen 6 and then gen 7 Celica and an MR2 before taking a slight detour with a 350Z and then arriving back home with my grey 86. The car was entirely standard when I bought it, other than some pressed metal number plates that the previous owner fitted.

Here she is when I first got her home, with my old zed sulking in the corner...
p5E9lSV.jpg

First step was to do something about that ridiculous arch gap, a set of HKS Hipermax IV GT coilovers were purchased from a member on the forums:
iJUGzLD.jpg

As you can see, cats are entirely clueless when it comes to fitting suspension, as am I, so a trip to Tuning Developments saw the kit fitted and set up. She is now looking a hundred times better and handles amazingly. Other than a (grossly expensive) shark fin aerial, that is where I'm at so far with the car. I took her for a quick sunset drive last night to get some snaps:

36435899332_6ca888d7cf_h.jpgGT86 by nimzicki, on Flickr

36435898032_1516c7d9af_h.jpgGT86 by nimzicki, on Flickr

36208112020_0ef809dffb_h.jpgGT86 by nimzicki, on Flickr

36208111190_25347a1a99_h.jpgGT86 by nimzicki, on Flickr

36208109890_15b7389e9e_h.jpgGT86 by nimzicki, on Flickr

36435891512_c96894a8cb_h.jpgGT86 by nimzicki, on Flickr

Next on the list is wheels, I've got a set of Work Emotion Kiwami CR's booked in for refurbishment, next update will probably be once I get them fitted :)

Anyway, hello all, glad to be here!

Rich

Guest 86guns
1 hour ago, cropzy said:

You live near Leeds. That's very close to me.

I couldn't be cheeky and ask if you offer a photoshoot service?

I would like some nice pics ;)

I'll tag along and we could have a threesome. 

15 minutes ago, 86guns said:

I'll tag along and we could have a threesome. 

Well that escalated quickly!

I'm no pro photographer @cropzy but more than happy to meet up and take a few snaps. I'll have to leave location spotting to you though, I've not been up north long ^_^

Hello and welcome! 

If you need parts, I'm your man haha

I know of some nice roads outside Catterick Garrison where me and my mate drive when i'm up north. I managed to toast my stock brakes there as well, so keep that in mind :D 

So yesterday morning I picked up my freshly refurbished wheels from Yorvik Engineering Services, really nice guys and they've done a fantastic job. I picked these up from Tashan a few weeks back, originally one in bronze and three in flat black - after agonising over the colour for weeks I decided to ask them to match the bronze wheel, especially how it looked under direct sunlight which gave it a slightly more gold tone and they've nailed it. They also fitted my new tyres - Advan V105s in 235/40/18 so all I had to do was get them home and on the car.

First things first, enlist the girlfriend to help me get them dust free and protected with a couple of layers of wax:

36609396250_b8cf249322_h.jpgNewWheels_nimz-3 by nimzicki, on Flickr

36834998502_baf5d89511_h.jpgNewWheels_nimz-4 by nimzicki, on Flickr

Fitting next with the aid of Mishimoto extended wheels nuts courtesy of @Tuned UK - great service from them and nice to receive car parts in a nicely designed package for once.

36834988402_ffe8be5017_h.jpgNewWheels_nimz by nimzicki, on Flickr

First one on (note the standard scissor jack, total PITA doing all 4 wheels with this):

37006343855_05cd975334_h.jpgNewWheels_nimz-5 by nimzicki, on Flickr

All fitted and back down on the ground:

36865719241_2333a13c6a_h.jpgNewWheels_nimz-6 by nimzicki, on Flickr

37006341495_7c40152037_h.jpgNewWheels_nimz-7 by nimzicki, on Flickr

36865717601_346ca5e1fa_h.jpgNewWheels_nimz-8 by nimzicki, on Flickr

Absolutely loving the new setup, no rubbing but I do need to get a tiny bit more camber dialed in to tuck them in a touch more. Proper pics to come once I've got the car cleaned up.

Rich

Woke up this morning to a bit of sunshine so treated the car to a quick clean, went inside to watch the F1 and then it tanked it down, naturally <_<. Anyway, the rain buggered off so went for a quick drive and a 5 minute photoshoot before the sun went down:

36869713410_86c4549edc_h.jpgGT86_16_09_nimz-4

37077136576_37d11e875d_h.jpgGT86_16_09_nimz-3

36869710780_790e586729_h.jpgGT86_16_09_nimz-6

37267863555_b85dd30b95_h.jpgGT86_16_09_nimz-2

36429981204_83402f3df5_h.jpgGT86_16_09_nimz

Not sure what the next step is, I need a bit more noise so will probably save for a manifold and remap at Tuning Developments if I can stop myself from buying an exhaust first :P

On 17/09/2017 at 2:00 PM, TTR said:

Mate I think I'm going to have to buy another set of CR Ultimate's now :lol:

Haha, I can sell these ones back to you at a highly competitive inflated price? ;) I'm just sad that the good weathers going to bugger off soon so can't enjoy them for too long :(

On 17/09/2017 at 9:32 PM, br0wny said:

duuuuuuuude! looks so nice! inspiration for my grey one! 

Thanks man, much appreciated :)

7 hours ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Looks great Rich, you'll get far more gains and enjoyment out of a manifold vs an exhaust system also :) 

Thanks

Mike

Thanks Mike, that was my thinking too, I'll have to ask Santa for a day in Warrington :lol:

Sooo, long time since I've updated this, few changes have happened. First was to finally fit my genuine, totally legit, replica TRD spoiler, shipped painted from Taiwan. Shockingly the paint was a perfect match and the fitment was spot on, all for less than £150 :lol: Then I met @Paul in a Tesco car park to buy his old Tuning Developments Resonated exhaust, got it fitted it straight away and very happy. Rest of the system is stock but this still gives a good bark when flooring it but no drone in the slightest on the motorway, perfect.

Next was new wheels. I've been running stock for a long time after selling my old Works, that ended when, after months of trawling ebay I finally found a set of Desmond Regamasters. For those that don't know, these are long discontinued wheels, forged aluminium wheels, built in Russian tank factories and are incredibly light. The 17x8 et35 set that I found clocks in at just over 6kg each. So, they were shipped over from Japan, refurbed and after another Tesco car park rendezvous, this time with @Deacon for some new wheel nuts, they were complete. After all that, I'm still not sure if I like them :(:lol: I was hoping for a shade or two darker/bronzer to suit the grey car more but they're growing on me.

Anyway, here are some pics of how she sits now:

ALH1VRb.jpg

qCNkdvN.jpg

XLRGYUG.jpg

HXstWKQ.jpg

ANOw5JW.jpg

Amazing!  Regamasters are up there as one of my fav wheels, shame they are so hard to get your mits on.  Did you have alignment done at TD when they fitted your coilovers?