Sign in to follow this  
Guest 86guns

Help please - Android messaging

Guest 86guns

Long shot this, but I'm assuming there's a few clever people on here who can help us out. I have an iPhone and this uses the Apple Messages app which predominantly uses wi-fi or 4G to send SMS. My wife has an old Android phone which I'm assuming doesn't use wi-fi or 4G for SMS. For years we've both been on O2 with no issues but a recent change to Three has meant that my wife is now being charged 40p for a MMS message even if she adds a single emoji to a text. I'm not sure how O2 managed emoji but she was never charged for them.

My question to all you Androids out there is, is there a quick fix to this? Is there an Android equivalent of the Apple Messages app, or are we doing something completely wrong?

I know we could use Whatsapp but some of her friends aren't on this. 

Depends on your network, vodafone charges as well, but your best shot is to use WhatsApp or FB messanger like Lauren said.. Or get your wife an iPhone:D

Guest 86guns
8 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I'd say use Whats App or FB messenger. 

Unfortunately my wife and most of her friends aren't on Facebook and don't use Whatsapp. 

Guest 86guns
1 hour ago, rob275 said:

I'm on three and I don't get charged. Doesn't sound right...

This is why I'm asking really. Are there Android apps that use the old "phone" SMS system and other Android messenger apps that use data? 

Guest 86guns
2 hours ago, knightryder said:

Easily sorted ;)

If it were only that simple. Many of her friends and relatives are elderly as she helps them learn new tech so they can keep in touch with family etc. For some a mobile is an alien concept so anything other than basic texting is a step too far. 

Three do charge you MMS rate if you add an emoticon e.g. :) rather than : ) to an SMS message AND your handset converts it to MMS.  Various articles out there, but for example linked to them also bumping the cost of MMS - http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/three-just-doubled-sneaky-text-7989597  Keep in mind it's things like adding a photo, sending a contact card etc that will also trigger this.

You can call them up and ask them to block this on your account (essentially they put a block to not charge anything outside of your regular free allowance, if that doesn't include MMS, you can't send one).  As someone has mentioned above just stick to the ASCII options  ; )

EDIT - What handset does she have?  May also be possible to stop it converting SMS to MMS.  E.g. for some Samsungs (and potentially other Android handsets) - http://innov8tiv.com/fix-sms-converting-to-mms-in-galaxy-and-other-android-phones-guide/

Edited by cts

I stand corrected, just checked my bill and i have been charged the odd 40p here and there but its once in a blue moon as I never use SMS these days. I'm not quite sure why it even exists anymore lol

Guest 86guns
9 hours ago, cts said:

Three do charge you MMS rate if you add an emoticon e.g. :) rather than : ) to an SMS message AND your handset converts it to MMS.  Various articles out there, but for example linked to them also bumping the cost of MMS - http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/three-just-doubled-sneaky-text-7989597  Keep in mind it's things like adding a photo, sending a contact card etc that will also trigger this.

You can call them up and ask them to block this on your account (essentially they put a block to not charge anything outside of your regular free allowance, if that doesn't include MMS, you can't send one).  As someone has mentioned above just stick to the ASCII options  ; )

EDIT - What handset does she have?  May also be possible to stop it converting SMS to MMS.  E.g. for some Samsungs (and potentially other Android handsets) - http://innov8tiv.com/fix-sms-converting-to-mms-in-galaxy-and-other-android-phones-guide/

Thank you. I knew someone on here would shed some light onto the problem :) (oops another 40p gone). 

Looks like I've been beat to it - all you'd have to do is go into settings and set up your messaging app to not convert messages into MMS - I've been on three for years now and I still constantly text people with emojiis included and it's not been at all an extra expense for me.

EDIT: Rather than capping any of the extra expenses through your provider you can also just mess with the MMS settings so that it loses connection with the server - at least this way you'll never send an unintentional message.