Gary p

Rust under weather strip in bonnet

Don't know if any one else has spotted this issue but a poor design in the metal plate where rubber weather strip sits holds water and rusts the metal work. This picture isn't my car but damage looks very similar. I've taken my car back to Toyota to claim on warranty. Awaiting verdict will let you know the outcome. 

IMG_3081.PNG

14 minutes ago, Gary p said:

Don't know if any one else has spotted this issue but a poor design in the metal plate where rubber weather strip sits holds water and rusts the metal work. This picture isn't my car but damage looks very similar. I've taken my car back to Toyota to claim on warranty. Awaiting verdict will let you know the outcome. 

IMG_3081.PNG

I don't have my car to look at and am failing to picture where that is under the bonnet?

Just had a call from Toyota they claim that this comes under paint work which is only covered by a 3 year warranty 🤔. But as I get on really well with my Toyota dealer they are going to sort this out for me👍. But all who have the same problem and under 3years old would recommend to get it sorted before the 3 years are up.

May have good news Had toyota contact me again today to say they can replace the metal piece that the rubber sill sits on so it's not a bodge repair. At least this part can be replaced which is a good thing👍👍👍

Iam just a bit anal when it comes to paint and rust although I got to except that I use it as my everyday car so things like this is going to happen at least this part is removable so it can be either changed or painted 👍 I like underneath  my bonnet too much 😆😆

I just have the aerosol can. You can just spray it on or onto a rag and wipe it on. I used it on the engine instead of the green gunk.

I'm up for doing the underneath of the car but not had chance to get it in the air.

I'm sure they will replace it. It's not happened over night and if it's been serviced by Toyota they should have check for it. If they missed it then that's their fault. This will turn out on every 86 probably so will be a recognised design fault.

Yeah toyota say that this problem comes under paintwork which is covered only by 3 year warranty. But in saying that they are replacing mine under good will and getting it done next week👍👍

22 hours ago, Gary p said:

Yeah toyota say that this problem comes under paintwork which is covered only by 3 year warranty. But in saying that they are replacing mine under good will and getting it done next week👍👍

What is it they are replacing exactly, I'm not even sure what that bit of metal is for. It doesn't seem to serve no function as far as I can see. 

Edit: Sorry never mind, I just read one of your earlier posts. I have sent a little polite email to my local Toyota dealers and see what they can do for me. 

I peeled the rubber back the other week when I first read this and couldn't spot anything, however having just got some engine bling bolts to replace the black painted ones in the front area that were looking tatty I took it off completely today for a clean underneath and yes, there was a fair bit of rust on the underside. Thankfully it sits on the plastic front nose/bumper (and serves to fasten that to the car) so the rust isn't going to affect anything else. I've cleaned and sprayed all over with ACF 50 so it at least shouldn't get any worse, although it was annoying finding it just after my 4 year service!. I'll have a look before the service next year to see if it looks like it needs replacing or not.