tommackey72

Toyota gt86 digital speedometer

Try ordering the cluster from a UK spec primo model as this was the same as the lower spec models over seas (other than mph printed on clocks rather than km) will not get you a digital speedometer but should leave you with everything working as should be. (Very few primo models sold so very little chance of finding a used one). 

Thank you... Everything works fine on me car its just the fact that it looks like it should work .. so it's been boggling me since I got the car.. I've message Australia Toyota on Facebook to see if they can help

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The cluster is integrated into the immobilizer (did you read my links?) so the car won't start until it's Sync'd. MY15+ has TPMS, earlier models didn't. You just need a VIN/Reg from a MY12-14 car and ask them to look up parts based on that. Based on one of the threads (Aus GT to GTS dash, same as you) then it appears to work. Does yours have the mph/kmph button? If not then maybe the issue is that the display still states kmph so they disconnected the LCD.

The cluster is integrated into the immobilizer (did you read my links?) so the car won't start until it's Sync'd. MY15+ has TPMS, earlier models didn't. You just need a VIN/Reg from a MY12-14 car and ask them to look up parts based on that. Based on one of the threads (Aus GT to GTS dash, same as you) then it appears to work. Does yours have the mph/kmph button? If not then maybe the issue is that the display still states kmph so they disconnected the LCD.

No mph/kmph button my manual shows I should have the thing working.. hmm maybe disconnected the LCD I'll look into that thanks

This is weird, because you have a Mph speedo. Australia is just Km/h isn't it? Given the odometer is in Km/h then the digital speedo is likely to be in Km/h too I would have thought. 

This is weird, because you have a Mph speedo. Australia is just Km/h isn't it? Given the odometer is in Km/h then the digital speedo is likely to be in Km/h too I would have thought. 

Yeah it's very weird and I'm hoping cos it doesn't work atm.. to see if I can get it to work.. and yes it's in kmp

I've been thinking about this. It must be that someone has put a UK instrument cluster into your car. Your car originally won't have had a digital speedo so quite simply it won't work. Whether there is something you can add to make it work I don't honestly know. No UK owner will have had this issue of course. 

18 minutes ago, Fenhopper said:

Possible that it's the original Australian (basic Primo style) instrument cluster, but someone added one of these:

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/gt86-brz-part-no-c999.html

?

That one hasn't got the pattern on it. So it's not that. 

In fact I'm fairly sure it has a UK cluster, but with the shorter poverty spec shorted needles for the water and fuel levels which you can see on the previous page. 

See mine which is obviously an original UK dash. Look at the length of the needles for water and fuel and speedometer. Also pay attention to the background pattern. This patter pervades the GT as it's present on the grill and a few other places. 

35191858464_7542a12f35_c.jpg100K miles on the odometer GT86 by Lauren Blighton, on Flickr

Now look at the OP's one:

f2b344a6adb6d0e87371691fda5e0672.jpg

That pattern is part of the face plate!

What this guy has is an Australian Cluster (basic style) with a UK face plate on it. That's why it has the short needles, because it is the original Australian cluster, with no LED's for speed reading.

So, my best guess, is that they've put the UK instrument panel in but maybe and this all I can think of really, is that they've put the fascia of the clocks into the AUS instrument panel which would explain the wrong needles. 

Edit, writing this as you posted this, Matt. Yes you are right. 

There is IIRC an issue in that you cannot just swop another instrument panel in as I think it's linked to the ECU. This was talked about when the kouki version came out with the nicer dash and people were talking about swopping it. So I can only think this has been done to give an analogue speedometer in MPH for sale in the UK. SVA would cause this I think. 

My old AE86 only reads in km/h but on an older car they just need an MOT after importing and an MOT doesn't test the speedo. 

And yes, Matt, I'm sure you're right in that there is nothing behind the digital speedo bit given this is a lower spec Australian car. I expect to get a digital speedometer would involve some electronic butchery of a UK cluster to get it put in behind that panel. 

Yes, Agree with all of that Lauren.

I think the OP will just have to learn to live with it, as I suspect you are right and swapping the cluster for one from another car could be problematic.

BTW, apologies for never introducing myself properly on this forum; promise I will do soon. :)

Matt.

Hey Matt, that's cool. Welcome aboard. :P

I must admit, I'd love to have a look at this car to see all the differences as I've never seen an ADM car before. 

I took great interest when I hired a low spec GT86 in Japan three years ago in all the differences. Fascinating stuff! :)

@Lauren you clearly didn't read my links, cluster swaps of GTS into GT models work fine. It's not linked to the ECU bar the immobilizer which just needs syncing. If he bought the correct cluster of an early model it would be fine, just need mileage recoding. The reason the later Kouki dash won't work is both needing the controls on the wheel and the ECU won't be expecting the extra Canbus requests of the newer featured.

8 minutes ago, knightryder said:

If he bought the correct cluster of an early model it would be fine, just need mileage recoding. 

It isn't necessarily true that it would be fine. The car in question has no kph/mph button, so any one of three possibilities could be the default for the digital speedo reading without the button wired to the cluster:

1. Defaults to mph (lucky)
2. Defaults to kph (bad luck)
3. Defaults to no display (bad luck again, back where you started)

Fenhopper (Matt).

7 hours ago, knightryder said:

@Lauren you clearly didn't read my links, cluster swaps of GTS into GT models work fine. It's not linked to the ECU bar the immobilizer which just needs syncing. If he bought the correct cluster of an early model it would be fine, just need mileage recoding. The reason the later Kouki dash won't work is both needing the controls on the wheel and the ECU won't be expecting the extra Canbus requests of the newer featured.

No Steve, I admit I didn't. I dislike American forums, though those threads are okay. So as long as Tom gets a complete UK dash it will work, but it just needs reprogramming for the odometer and immobiliser. It doesn't really say how you actually go about getting re-programmed.  If he got the complete lot with buttons for trip km/h/mph etc that would work too? 

If you don't have one it simply won't be there so there is nothing you can do about it. Just use the analogue speedo. I had a hire car in Japan and that didn't have one either. You just get used to using the analogue speedo I found. 

That is weird. The Jap import I had had a poverty spec dash with the poverty spec rev counter and not a blank display like you have. 

Jeff, you can see for the water and fuel that it has the poverty spec dash bit which has shorter needles. I think we'd need to confirm whether the Primo has the higher spec rev counter like it is here. I thought the UK Primo had a digital speedo?

It looks like it simply isn't working. 

Do you have keyless entry and push button for engine start/stop or do you have to twist a key? 

Yup. Primo dash is identical -mine has the digital speedo, and looks the same as Lauren's with the longer needles, so the Primo obviously wasn't quite the same as poverty spec elsewhere.

I've haven't got the xenon lights, and have a key to start and manual aircon - but those are about it for differences...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk