vanko25

"Rotational" sound from clutch release bearing bulletin

Hi all,

Has any of you listened to there engine at idle and found there is some strange "rotational" sound coming from the engine bay? It is noticeable on mine and heard it on some of the videos I watched on YouTube and if I press the clutch pedal the sound goes away. Anyway I just found out this service bulletin on the ft86 forum and was wondering if that is a fix that could be done under warranty? Probably @Riceburner can have an opinion on that? Thanks in advance! 

P.S. My car is 2013 (63 plate) and has around 40k on the clock if that matters.

attachment.php?attachmentid=153043&stc=1&d=1493666171

Interesting, I have this on my 86 and concluded it was the release bearing. I know not to ride the clutch but my car is ex-demo so can't vouch for previous treatment (I'd rather not think about it)!

Doesn't always happen, and I've only noticed it when the car is cold after the cold start completes, which makes me question the overheating bit.

The service bulleting does suggest human error as the cause though, so wouldn't surprise me if they said no to warranty. Do Toyota and Subaru share these things with each other? I'm confident my dealer and Toyota UK are clueless about the GT86. You wouldn't believe how many Toyota techs I had to argue with about the Scorpion alarm; they thought I fitted it myself!

Edit: 16' plate 14k miles

I got mine as a used approved too and just got used to the noise as it does not sound as a bearing on its last legs. The noise will be there at all times and but I am not sure whether it is the bearing or something in the gearbox as the noise goes away when I press the clutch pedal. I heard it on numerous videos of owners on Youtube so that makes me thinking is something common. Most of the Toyota places are useless. The only place we trust is RRG Macclesfield. Riceburner (Rich) works there and I hope he will be able to enlighten us on the matter.

24 minutes ago, vanko25 said:

I got mine as a used approved too and just got used to the noise as it does not sound as a bearing on its last legs. The noise will be there at all times and but I am not sure whether it is the bearing or something in the gearbox as the noise goes away when I press the clutch pedal. I heard it on numerous videos of owners on Youtube so that makes me thinking is something common. Most of the Toyota places are useless. The only place we trust is RRG Macclesfield. Riceburner (Rich) works there and I hope he will be able to enlighten us on the matter.

Can you post a couple of links to YT and I'll see if its the same thing?

I've got an unhappy bearing when the clutch is down, but only occasionally and if the clutch is fully down, lifting it slightly makes everything go quiet again. I've had it for an entire year, and while it appears to be getting gradually worse, nothing has gone pop yet! Depending on money, I may just get a new clutch at some point as I'm hardly the kindest on it...

I have a clutch noise on occasion too. If I have the car in neutral with the engine running (say waiting at a petrol station) it'll sometimes make a clattery sort of noise but when you put the clutch down  a it stops. I'm hoping my recent gearbox work at RRG may have sorted it though.

I am not sure whether to be concerned or not but here is the video to hear. Initally I am not touching the clutch pedal and the second rev up is with the clutch engaged. 

Lauren it is not very clear in the video. Yes in the first part the clutch pedeal is in up possition and ind the second I got it depressed. Anyway  i will be going to the Coordsport day on Sunday and you will be able to hear it live.